4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Dyno your car using a cell phone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:21 PM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

Default Dyno your car using a cell phone?

so i came across this little article/blog and thought i would cut and paste it, for you guys to see as well. seems pretty cool...just sucks b/c it seems, right now the only way you can do it is with an iphone.anyway...here it is:

Sound to good to be true? Maybe not. I happened to stumble onto this surfing the web the other day. Dynolicious automotive performance meter. It basically takes the accelerometer in the Iphone/Ipod touches and tunes it into performance meter, much like the G-tech back in the day. Here is some information directly from Dynolicious' website: [blockquote]Dynolicious is the first automotive performance meter available for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Dynolicious uses the hardware built-in to your iPhone to measure the performance characteristics of your vehicle. No external wires or equipment is necessary, simply slip the iPhone into a cradle or cupholder and go!Some of the performance metrics Dynolicious can measure:[ul][*]0-60 Acceleration[*]1/4 Mile Elapsed Time[*]Lateral G's[*]Horsepower[/ul][/blockquote][blockquote] Unlike other accelerometer-based performance meters, Dynolicious uses the advanced data-handling and display capabilities of the iPhone to make the most of your performance testing. Dynolicious maintains a history of test runs, showing you averages and trends in your results. Dynolicious also allows you to enter modifications performed to your vehicle, and will instantly show before-and-after results to easily identify gains or losses.[/blockquote] Well after reading this, I jumped on my iphone looked it up on the new application store. Sure enough it was on there for $13! Well curiosity got the best of me this morning; I had to buy it. You can simply enter the weight of your vehicle and start testing. I will test it out this week and maybe I can get an exact weight of me in my car some time soon. I plan on taking it to the track one night as well and seeing just how accurate the 1/4 times are on this thing.Pictures from their website:

Old 08-04-2008, 12:25 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dyno your car using a cell phone?

that is pretty dam cool
Old 08-04-2008, 12:25 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

i doubt its very accurate.

its a cool idea though.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: avlon06

that is pretty dam cool
i thought it was pretty cool too....for $13 i dont see how you could go wrong. just gotta have a damn iphone tho....which i dont have.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:34 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

ya my buddy has it on his phone and said hes got it on his iphone, but hasn't tried it out yet..what will they come out with next lol
Old 08-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Perf_white_GT
2nd Gear Member

no iphone here... and wouldn't switch to ATT to get it either....lol
Old 08-04-2008, 12:49 PM
HNDA ETR
1st Gear Member

Haha that's pretty cool. Will have to try it with my sisters phone. Doubt its accurate at all though
Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

i dont see why it wouldn't be that accurate though
Old 08-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I don't trust it..come on the name is Dynolicious...anyone else find that too just ... ridiculous sounding???

Yeah my car does 0-60mpg in 5.24 seconds going by my dynolicious rating...
Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

i have an iphone, unlocked with t-mobile i'll buy it tonight and try it out tomorrow and let you guys know

Quick Reply: Dyno your car using a cell phone?