4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Koni or Bilstein?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:38 AM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

Default Koni or Bilstein?

Well I hope I can get a good response... I need some opinions here. I'm torn between the Bilstein HD's and the Koni sports. I'm doing the suspension soon and I know I want the H&R Race springs and MM CC plates are also going on. To give a little more backround:

1.I use my GT for a lot of daily driving, but ride quality is of no concern or bother to me
2. The car will see time both at the track and at the strip... more time at the track (open track days, not AutoX)
3. Not ready for a coilover setup/3 or 5 link rear suspension(watts link)yet....so don't go there.

Anyone running either of these? I could really use some testimonials here....
Old 08-05-2008, 05:06 AM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Koni or Bilstein?

i have the Koni sports,i like them.I keep them about a turn from being all the way firm, and its a really firm ride. I have had many people compliment the ride quality(most have been in many Mustangs and usually complain about the ride quailty of Mustangs)
Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I use Koni and I love them
Old 08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

not to jack thread but,

defcon if i want to run coilovers for sure up front most likely out back, do i really need the most adjustable strut/shocks? i want to get the most benifit and i only see adjusting them a little..just wondering what your thoughts were
Old 08-05-2008, 01:37 PM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

I have a set of Bilsteins you could buy if you were interested. They have been on my GT for about 8k. Reason I am getting rid of them is I am leaning towards Lakewoods for straight line performance.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:43 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: avlon06

not to jack thread but,

defcon if i want to run coilovers for sure up front most likely out back, do i really need the most adjustable strut/shocks? i want to get the most benifit and i only see adjusting them a little..just wondering what your thoughts were
Adjustable shocks and struts are only good if you adjust them the single adjustable ones works fine for almost any application. I use the double adjustable up front so i can adjust stiffness and rebound, and the single adjustable in the rear which you can only adjusts stiffness.

IMO the valving on Koni shocks is better than Bilsteins. Bilstines are about as stiff as Koni's but do not have as good rebound.

TO OP: Make sure you get a set of Koni's that has a coil-over kit available so later you wont regret it.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:04 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

I have the Bilstein HD's. I am pretty happy with them. I don't have any experience with the Koni's though so I cannot say which to get. I didn't want to deal with the adjustables and didn't need the adjustability.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:17 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the response you guys. I've talked to some other friends that spend a lot of time on the road course and I seem to get people on both sides. I've had experience with Bilstein on other cars (my EVO in particular) and they were great, but I didn't just want to get something based on my experience with an import, AWD car. I wanted to get some opinions from you guys onwhat the mustangs feel better with. I was leaning toward the Bilsteins, but it sounds like a lot of you like the Koni sports...

To 35thAnni99GT, I'll shoot you a PM to see what you've got.

If anyone else wants to throw some more opinions out there, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again you guys....
Old 08-05-2008, 11:29 PM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: defconfire
TO OP: Make sure you get a set of Koni's that has a coil-over kit available so later you wont regret it.
For some reason i never considered the same shocks and struts being used with coilovers. Can i use the Single adjustable struts and shockswith coilovers?

Yellow SA Koni Struts
Yellow SA Koni Shocks
Old 08-05-2008, 11:35 PM
XxMustangManiacxX
1st Gear Member

bilsteins

Quick Reply: Koni or Bilstein?