4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Serious clutch problem! Need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 01:57 PM
mdubbs

Default Serious clutch problem! Need help

When the car sits overnight, I start it up and can't get it to go in gear. I have to pump the clutch a couple times to get it to shift into gear without much effort. The second i lift my foot off the clutch it engages. After you drive a little the engagement point is up higher on the pedal.

The steeda quadrant has 2 hooks and i have the stock cable on the first hook. I have the firewall adjuster turned out far enough that it is hard to turn now.

Is it POSSIBLE to get a longer cable to hook onto the second hook to give the clutch more throw and engage the clutch a little further????? The stock cable will not hook the second hook without me prying the fork back far. The steeda adjustable cable is the same way and will only catch a few threads. Any manufacturers make longer cables??Is this my problem.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:05 PM
mdubbs

Where are all you technical guru's when i need you!!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:29 PM
mdubbs

even though the stock cable looks good and i cleaned it real well, could it be stretched causing this problem?? Is this a tell tale sign. If so i'll try for the 1000th time to put in the adjustable cable which never seems to work!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:47 AM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

not sure how to help but i know that the stock cable is the best, and no aftermarket ones (like ur steeda one) should be used. good luck
Old 09-07-2008, 04:43 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

I've read of several people that have had good luck with the setup you have. I would lean toward the stock cable being stretched. It is 10 years old.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:04 AM
mdubbs

Yeah i like the stock design, however with it being stretched so badly I put the steeda adjustable cable in. It is much smoother. However, still very low and have to pump the clutch a little. I put anti seize on the firewall adjuster and it made it so much easier to turn. I can drive the car at the point it's at but may just turn it out a little further in a couple days. I heard the king cobra's are notorious for being right off the floor clutches. The disc is thinner and the marcel spring in the clutch disc has more room to move.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mdubbs
<snip>Is it POSSIBLE to get a longer cable to hook onto the second hook to give the clutch more throw and engage the clutch a little further????? The stock cable will not hook the second hook without me prying the fork back far. The steeda adjustable cable is the same way and will only catch a few threads. Any manufacturers make longer cables??Is this my problem.
I assume that when you tried this you had screwed the adjuster in all the way, thought I'd mention it anyway...
Old 09-07-2008, 05:19 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

umm, if u have all the adjustable stuff, you should be able to change where that engagement point is.... i can with mine.