4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

So, my car thinks its a Ranger????

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 PM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

i just received another replacement ABS module and a new right front sensor. im going to replace the sensor tomorrow and hopefully the light will disappear, if not, ill be replacing my ABS module yet again. hopefully its just the sensor but honestly i doubt it. im thinking its probably the module again because the first one i got from the salvage yard looked like it had water in the electrical connection at some point. so im thinking the RF connection just got shorted out. we'll see tomorrow....

....on a side note my check engine and radiator dash light just came on tonight??? WTF man! ill be buying a reader tomorrow from autozone too. any particular brand better than the other?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:09 PM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

Talking update

ok! ok! ok! - (joe pesci)

i swapped out the right front sensor as FORD said that was the code that the replacement module was throwing... turned the car on, lights are still there (the ABS and trac control)... ...crap!

but its cool because i figured as much. so i took a deep breath, left the known good sensor installed, and took my time and swapped out the module again with the replacement for the replacement for the original... (third module going in!)

finished up, this time it only took me about an hour, and i even left the bumper on this time. reconnected everything, turned the car on, and...wait for it, wait for it (the light was still on and i was about to scream like a little girl) and then SUCCESS! the light went out!

So, it appears that i may have been right about the liquid causing something inside the module to short out on the right front sensor connections. so far so good. tomorrow im going to call FORD and talk to my guy there to see if its necessary for me to have the module programmed to my car, since its not a new one. my fingers are going to remain crossed though for the next week or so as the first replacement worked beautifully for an entire day before it bit the dust on me.

ill keep you guys informed of any changes. if theres anyone else going through the same shhhh im going though, and needs help or have questions, ill be glad to help. because i know how frustrating this can be.

by the way, about my other dash lights: i dont think ill ever shop at pepboys ever again, they were the closest for me so i stopped there and asked if they would tell me what the codes were that were being thrown. they wanted $84 and an hour to diagnose them, and $20 just to tell me the code itself...................ok nevermind..... went to autozone (which was free) and they told me the O2 sensors were one (because of the O/R X i know) and the other was that my gas cap was loose or off...what? apparently there was nothing on the radiator light that was on ???? which was weird.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:40 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

sweeeet glad that you got the abs all figured out.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:41 AM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackstallion666
sweeeet glad that you got the abs all figured out.
thanks, i appreciate your help too.

i just got back from FORD and they took a look at my handy work, said everything looks peachy and even reflashed this ABS module for me too. So, everythings looking on the up and up. *fingers still crossed*