4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

So, my car thinks its a Ranger????

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:31 PM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy So, my car thinks its a Ranger????

Well, i went to the dealer yesterday to have them tell me whats wrong with my ABS, (ABS light and traction light stay on). After almost an hour of sitting around they tell me they dont know exactly whats wrong with the ABS system because their computer is having trouble talking to my car...

They tell me that my car is telling their new digital scanner that its actually a 3.0L Ranger, not a 4.6L Mustang... OK... then they say their older scanner will talk to the computer but wont talk to the ABS system but recommends to start trouble shooting by replacing the ABS module, $1100...

OK, now Im stuck. I am not going to give them $1100 to replace the module until they tell me that IS the problem and it WILL fix it. right now they say it may not fix it but thats where they have to start...

So, I sent an email to JDM engineering where i bought the chip from and asked if they could help at all with this. i asked if it was possible if the chip was programmed incorrectly, again? (i had to send it back to them several times for them to get it right in the first place)

Does anyone know if this is possible? If JDM does not come through for me I was thinking i may just take the superchip out and go with a new flasher/tuner? Can someone tell me what they think the best one would be for an '02 GT?

*by the way, since i just disconnected the battery the ABS light still stays on but now the traction control light stays off.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

dude your dealer sucks. Is there another you can take it to?
also take your chip out. Aftermarket chip tunes have been known to mess with factory scantools and make them think its another vehicle then it really is. Iv'e had one at work about a year ago. Also if you do decide to go with a different aftermarket tuner. I'd say go with the Sniper special forces software.

Last edited by blackstallion666; 10-15-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:55 PM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

i asked them if they thought the chip was doing that, they shook their heads with a kind of glazed over look in their eyes...

theres another dealer that i trust about an hour from me. but i dont want to keep getting nickel and dimed over this. they still charged me $100 for the diagnostic and telling me nothing. So, youve seen the chip tell there computers the car was something else?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:57 PM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ashtondiff
i asked them if they thought the chip was doing that, they shook their heads with a kind of glazed over look in their eyes...

theres another dealer that i trust about an hour from me. but i dont want to keep getting nickel and dimed over this. they still charged me $100 for the diagnostic and telling me nothing. So, youve seen the chip tell there computers the car was something else?
take that chip out, invest in a sniper tuner.. even if ur stock program is FUGGED sniper will give a base tune that will be just like stock.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:01 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

When i went to a ford training class the teacher told about this happening to him. And later on i ran across the same problem myself and it did have a super chip installed in it. I took it out and it worked fine and i was able to link up to the car. I still can't believe they charged you for a total guess. honest to god iv'e never seen a mustang with a bad abs module in the shop. I'm not saying that it can't be bad but i have my doughts about there diagnosis. Seems like a big guess so they can charge you diag becuase they know you didn't want to spend all that money. I bet if you said yes there jaws would have dropped.

Last edited by blackstallion666; 10-15-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:06 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

i say get an xcal 3

Last edited by steve0914; 10-15-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:11 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

hand helds don't read abs codes
Old 10-15-2008, 11:17 PM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackstallion666
When i went to a ford training class the teacher told about this happening to him. And later on i ran across the same problem myself and it did have a super chip installed in it. I took it out and it worked fine and i was able to link up to the car. I still can't believe they charged you for a total guess. honest to god iv'e never seen a mustang with a bad abs module in the shop. I'm not saying that it can't be bad but i have my doughts about there diagnosis. Seems like a big guess so they can charge you diag becuase they know you didn't want to spend all that money. I bet if you said yes there jaws would have dropped.
do you think by the off chance the superchip could be causing the ABS light issue? ive had it in there for about 5 years and the ABS issue just started happening... and ive checked all 4 sensors and wires for rubbing, and they are all fine

and yeah, i was going to buy a hand held until i found out they dont read ABS codes and the scanners that do cost big $$$!

im hoping its not the module either, i havnt heard on any forums about this same issue and that someone replaced the module and now its all better. typically its from rub through, (but mine isint) ...im about to pull out my hair!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:26 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

It won't hurt to pull the chip and and clear the code and see what happens. But i don't think its causing your light but its always a possibility. But atleast if you take it out, the shop will be able to link up to it and read the abs module.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:33 PM
WOH HRSY
4th Gear Member

Not to hijack but I've seen your car domain site, really nice work esp on the diffuser!

Quick Reply: So, my car thinks its a Ranger????