4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

lets talk about suspension shall we?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:10 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default lets talk about suspension shall we?

so for "****s and giggles" lets have a nice little talk/debate about suspension. i want to keep this 100% drag racing, not road racing/handling. now, we all know that if you were to put coilovers on all 4 corners, adj shocks/struts all around, an aftermarket real 4link set up, and all of those fun things on the car, youll have a bad ***, great working setup, and the cars going to 60 like a ****... but heres my real point, is it worth it? quite simple, no. to compare it easily think about your stock intake tube, then switch to a carbonfiber 6inch diameter cold air intake. its huge, its top of the line everything, will youget more gains from it then yuor basic mac cai? ofcourse not. so i think its safe to say suspension is the same way.

ill be the 1st guy to tell you, im all for saving a dollar here and there, working with what i have, and getting the best bang for my buck. hell i was going to get coilovers, but said **** it, because imo i dont NEED them, could i use them? sure, will they be "better" then what i have? yup, will they help? hard to say. are they needed? no

which yup, brings me to my real point, summit upper and lower control arms. are they the best thing out there? hell no, i can name 5 other ones that are "better", but would i 60ft better with those other ones? i personally doubt it, ok i lied, maybe i could pick up 0.005 on my short time with something better but is that worth the few hundred for new lcas? i dont think so, isnt a very SMART move if you ask me. i can say, the only thing i would change is adjustable uppers, id like to set my pinion angle and the CG a little, but i dont expect drastic changes, and wont be buying them untill i find a good deal, or a used set, because what i have now works just fine.

so please someone tell me, who else is cutting 1.6 short times on a worse set up? stock? didnt think so

/rant... now begin discussion
Old 11-25-2008, 01:16 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

You didnt do it dimebag your a lier!!! you cant do that on stock suspension parts!!! you wasted your money on your control arms!!!

hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:22 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i just really want everyone else pulling 1.6s to tell me their set up, and hp numbers... thats where it gonna get nice and... interesting.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:22 AM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

Too bad that other thread got locked.....hopefully this turns out better.

I agree with Dime...just cause they are cheaper (summit parts) doesnt mean the gains you would see from the more expensive LCA/UCA's are worth the coin. (at least not all the time)

I have no personal experience with the summit control arms, but some of the guys I know running adjustable uppers arent tracking better 60fts back home.(better than Dime's I mean)
Old 11-25-2008, 01:24 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

im not being cocky, or saying im a ****in god or anything. im just a little pissed off right now. and really want someone to prove me wrong

hell if im wrong, the set up now will go in the trash, and ill upgrade.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

im in no way saying there arent better parts out there. im just saying, lets debate, in a friendly matter, whats really nesacerry and whats over kill. and ofcourse, it all depends on the application. but i think that we can look at cars in the 11.0-13.50 range under the same light.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:51 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

well, I spent like 5k on my suspension set up, so I definitely don't think I'm ahead of the game, although I will say I have the ability of adjusting absolutely anything within my suspension
Old 11-25-2008, 02:02 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea but your a road race guy, thats making 500+rwhp, ill be the 1st to say that i dont know **** about making a car turn. but i betcha i could make that car hookup and go.

tell me tho, in ur opinion, was the 5k in suspension worth it? could you perform just as good for less? i dont want to turn this into a handling discussion, i really want to keep it strictly straight line, but im curious
Old 11-25-2008, 02:25 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
yea but your a road race guy, thats making 500+rwhp, ill be the 1st to say that i dont know **** about making a car turn. but i betcha i could make that car hookup and go.

tell me tho, in ur opinion, was the 5k in suspension worth it? could you perform just as good for less? i dont want to turn this into a handling discussion, i really want to keep it strictly straight line, but im curious
Was the 5k In suspension worth it? Nope. Hind sight is 20/20

could I have done it for less? hell yes, I could have done just the IRS swap (kept it stock), coilovers for the rear (already had the fronts), gone with less sticky tires, and dialed the boost down, and I could have been running the same lap times.

Would I have broken something? Possibly, most of the money I spent was on bracing for the IRS.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:31 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

cool, nice info to know.

i want to keep this thread going...

Quick Reply: lets talk about suspension shall we?