4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Vortech, Procharger, and Kenne Bell... let's chat

Old 12-03-2008, 04:03 PM
blackGTcp
4th Gear Member

Im waiting to hear that KB whining around town tim
Old 12-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Well it is actually not as loud as i thought it would be. Take that back, it is hard to hear due to the exhaust. My exhaust is way louder than before the blower. At WOT, i cant hear the wine inside the car. All i hear is the exhaust screaming. but when just giving it gas on and off in traffic(to move up ect..) you can hear the distinct wine clearly.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

Good input. Still leaning toward the KB at the moment. I'm not looking to make a ton of horsepower in the end.... been there, done that. I want usable horse power...since it's not going to be a straight line car. Any other thoughts or comments would still be appreciated.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:15 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I like kenne bells if you are not open to turbos. Turbo would be best i think because of the fact that you are gonna be doing open track days and heat is gonna be your enemy. Turbos i think would be your best bet in it being easier to keep intake temps down like AZ said. and the fact that when coming out of a turn, its gonna take it a second or two to build boost and til it builds boost, you wont be as much at risk of the back end swinging out. But if you arent open to turbos, then go with something like the MPH mongoose 2.8L HO blower kit for the 2v.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:57 PM
rarm728

i just installed my KB 2.1l intercooled with the big cool air kit thing in thanksgiving break. The instructions are pretty clear and straight forward. They have a pic with every step. It does increase hp/tq by a lot. my car is a fun car to drive now. All i'm using it for is to cruise and use boost on the street. Its like a dream come true for me. Later i might forge the engine and push the limit on the injectors (14psi) or even upgrade them and push my car a little more then 550. i'm still deciding on that depending on what else i have to modify other then going forged. Its like what i say, you want hp/tq you got to pay for it. The more you want, the more expensive it gets. with that said, i think i'll be sticking with my "semi-stock" set up untill i have money for forged engine and a nice tko-600.

At first i was going to get twin turbos, but the reason i choose not to is becuase of the installation of k-member and all other suspesion set up. And reason 2 is that the kb supports up to 750 with that 2.1l. my car is never going to see that, its a street car/weekend driver taken out of town once a month or so. So if it's not going to be my drag racing car,or any track car why go with turbos. the kb has plenty for me... what KB does not supply in the kit is spart plugs... and i thing that's it. Coolant you need also (1 gal not diluted will be enoghf for the whole system).

well i hope i was little help and you make up your mind to what you want.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:40 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rarm728
i just installed my KB 2.1l intercooled with the big cool air kit thing in thanksgiving break. The instructions are pretty clear and straight forward. They have a pic with every step. It does increase hp/tq by a lot. my car is a fun car to drive now. All i'm using it for is to cruise and use boost on the street. Its like a dream come true for me. Later i might forge the engine and push the limit on the injectors (14psi) or even upgrade them and push my car a little more then 550. i'm still deciding on that depending on what else i have to modify other then going forged. Its like what i say, you want hp/tq you got to pay for it. The more you want, the more expensive it gets. with that said, i think i'll be sticking with my "semi-stock" set up untill i have money for forged engine and a nice tko-600.

At first i was going to get twin turbos, but the reason i choose not to is becuase of the installation of k-member and all other suspesion set up. And reason 2 is that the kb supports up to 750 with that 2.1l. my car is never going to see that, its a street car/weekend driver taken out of town once a month or so. So if it's not going to be my drag racing car,or any track car why go with turbos. the kb has plenty for me... what KB does not supply in the kit is spart plugs... and i thing that's it. Coolant you need also (1 gal not diluted will be enoghf for the whole system).

well i hope i was little help and you make up your mind to what you want.

The problem with the idea that the 2.1L supports up to 750hp is that in order to produce that much power, not only do you have to have a SAFE setup, you have to have a very EFFICIENT setup.

Even on the 2.6L's, cobra's are only seeing maybe ~700rwhp because at a certain point, heat starts to get to the blower and it is no longer thermodynamically efficient. With KB's and even with their aftercooling design, people still routinely see inlet temps around 180*.

compare those inlet temps of my car, at 16PSI of boost, of only a couple degrees above ambient, and you can see why that would be a problem.

The problem with the roots/twin screw type blower is that the heat created in the combustion chambers and in the engine transfers to the blower itself, and it can no longer efficiently stuff air into the chambers, as the air that it will be moving is going to be very, very hot.

With the OP's goals of having a quick, street car, with a useable power band, on a car that might see an open track event or an Auto-x event, this isn't so much of a problem. Since he's not seeking high numbers, I think that it would be safe to go with a 2.1L and not even have to worry about upgrading later, because it's all he'll need.

Now, to the OP, a word to the wise. Invest in some decent cooling modifications to minimize that heat soak. Get a decent sized radiator, I would suggest one from Fluidyne, and a fan that will flow quite well, I'd say around 1400CM. This is going to create a slightly larger than stock drag on the electrical system, so I would also suggest going with an alternator with a slightly higher amp rating. I believe the stock one is rated for 120Amps, and you might want to look in to one that will support another 30-40amps, for safeties sake.

Also, I would reccomend a small oil cooler, but i'm not positive if it would disrupt the flow to the heat exchanger for KB's intercooler.

Last, but certainly not least, one of the simplest things you can do is get a hood that has some sort of "heat extraction", either a cowl (although I believe those are more oriented towards induction rather than letting heat escape), or something like the stock hood on a 2003-2004 Cobra.

Don't forget as well, cheap insurance, I would definitely stick with some form of methanol/water injection. It will keep your Intake Air temps in check and will allow you to run safer.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:39 AM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate you guys adding your thoughts to the thread. I do eventually plan on a MoCal oil cooler and a more efficient radiator in the future. At the initial boost that I plan to run, I think that I'll be ok for now.... we'll see. As much fun as TT's sound they would be more headache than they're worth for what I want to do. Turbos don't exactly run cool intake temps either and heat soak is still an issue.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:33 AM
JT76

What is your definition of "usable power"?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by optimus prime
I appreciate you guys adding your thoughts to the thread. I do eventually plan on a MoCal oil cooler and a more efficient radiator in the future. At the initial boost that I plan to run, I think that I'll be ok for now.... we'll see. As much fun as TT's sound they would be more headache than they're worth for what I want to do. Turbos don't exactly run cool intake temps either and heat soak is still an issue.
+1 turbos aren't known for being cool
Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 PM
rarm728

well i think what AZ was trying to say is that they (turbos) run cooler Vs the KB both at high boost levels. turbos do heat up air but i think not as much. what AZ was also saying, there attached to the block and the heat travels up to the KB. So the heat of the KB + Engine. Turbo air only goes from heat of the compression on the turbine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vortech, Procharger, and Kenne Bell... let's chat