4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Royal Purple

Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

me and my buddy did our little research on the RP oil, after he used it on his 600whp srt-4 with horrible oil burning results, and we found out from the company itself that their oil is designed for racing applications and is actually designed to leak a bit. For daily driven cars, it is not recommended because it will foul up plugs after a while of burning the oil. This problem does not apply to purely racing vehicles because they change their plugs constantly and they can deal with the oil burning. I dunno that's just what they told us but it could be untrue. I just can't justify paying so much for oil. I have been using Castrol Syntec for quite a while now and haven't had problems.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:42 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

I've used RP for the last 4 years on every car I've owned from daily driver's to full race cars. It is great stuff for the money. I agree with what's been said here that if you haven't used it, don't tell some story about it. It decreased oil temps in my forced induction cars when I'd been using mobil 1 previously. It's good oil, I haven't had anything but good results in 4 years.

... that's 7 cars btw.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:45 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

if you would like more information than you'll ever read on oil, here's a link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 12-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by optimus prime
I've used RP for the last 4 years on every car I've owned from daily driver's to full race cars. It is great stuff for the money. I agree with what's been said here that if you haven't used it, don't tell some story about it. It decreased oil temps in my forced induction cars when I'd been using mobil 1 previously. It's good oil, I haven't had anything but good results in 4 years.

... that's 7 cars btw.

well first of all this isn't some story from some one and so on...this is the info i got from the company itself. I wasn't using it but my buddy was and i've been there for his build and as soon as he went back to regular synthetic oil, he had no more problems of burning oil. I am NOT saying this oil is crap im just telling the folks about my experience with it, so please don't get ur panties all bunched up please.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Optimus Prime..just so you know, most people on that link you posted HATE Royal Purple...with a frikin passion.

I have yet to see a UOA worth mentioning with Royal Purple. That oil produces Less than Decent results..no better then other synthetics, and really, a lot of the times worse.

Royal Crap Can not even meet the specifications of cars newer than 2004, it's not even API SM approved. It's a bad oil at a bad price. I challenge people here to pay the damn 15 dollars and get an analysis done on this oil after 5,000 miles. Then do the same on Valvoline Syn power or Pennzoil platinum or pretty much any other synthetic oil except Mobil 1 (which performs poorley also from what i've seen)
Old 12-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

i dunno i briefly looked at that link's site and it just didn't look too credible to me...
Old 12-15-2008, 07:18 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Davojan59
well first of all this isn't some story from some one and so on...this is the info i got from the company itself. I wasn't using it but my buddy was and i've been there for his build and as soon as he went back to regular synthetic oil, he had no more problems of burning oil. I am NOT saying this oil is crap im just telling the folks about my experience with it, so please don't get ur panties all bunched up please.
I hate it when they get all bunched up! My post was not directed at you, just in general. I've read a lot of posts on here about RP that just don't make sense. I can't figure out why I just haven't had the same issues...am I just really lucky? They do make oil just for racing applications, however their standard oils are for everyday use.

http://www.royalpurple.com/rp-faqs-v.html
watch the videos too...
http://www.royalpurple.com/rp-videos.html

Last edited by optimus prime; 12-15-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:20 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Davojan59
i dunno i briefly looked at that link's site and it just didn't look too credible to me...
They are all opinions is my point... you don't know until you try it. A lot of people on that site are also crazy.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:21 PM
alexr
★★★★★

ive never had a problem with using a regular synthetic oil rather than RP or something else at that price. im not paying over $8 for a quart of oil, when i can get something for about $3 or $4, and get the same results. for what abuse this car sees, i have no need to spend that kind of money on oil.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM
optimus prime
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jbauer
It's a bad oil at a bad price. I challenge people here to pay the damn 15 dollars and get an analysis done on this oil after 5,000 miles. Then do the same on Valvoline Syn power or Pennzoil platinum or pretty much any other synthetic oil except Mobil 1 (which performs poorley also from what i've seen)
Have you?

Not all Amsoil oils are API approved either, yet everyone swears by them. I was under the imppression that Exxon/Mobil helped develop the API standards as well ...seems like a little bit of conflict of interest to me. What I'm getting at here is in order to actually meet these specs, some things have to be compromised. However, oils that are not approved could still be used and in some cases be better than the approved product. Kind of a use at your own risk situation.

Last edited by optimus prime; 12-15-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Royal Purple