4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

JLT Ram air intake vs. JLT cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

I wouldnt waste my money on the RAI. Either get the CAI or remove the silencer and drop in a K&N.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:29 PM
speed_monkey
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99_BLACK_GT
I just removed my CAI and installed a RAI a few days ago. Couldnt be happier!! JLT is the best way to go either way. I feared getting the MAF wet in the fender so went with the RAI. Actually picked up 1.6 RWHP over the CAI too LoL!! Plus it does look alot better then just the tube. When I got the CAI it dynoed at 7 RWHP more than my K&N FIPK
So wait, are you saying you feared getting the MAF wet with the filter in the fenderwell of the MAF in there? Just trying to clarify.. since the MAF doesnt really move.
I dont think the filter would really get THAT wet anyways, idk I will test in during monsoon season I guess lol
And those numbers, where they on the same dyno? Same air temp and humidity?

I have a fenderwell intake myself, the only reason I have an aftermarket intake though is b/c I got it reeealy cheap Otherwise I dont think I would spend that much money on such a small improvement.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:37 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by speed_monkey
So wait, are you saying you feared getting the MAF wet with the filter in the fenderwell of the MAF in there? Just trying to clarify.. since the MAF doesnt really move.
I dont think the filter would really get THAT wet anyways, idk I will test in during monsoon season I guess lol
And those numbers, where they on the same dyno? Same air temp and humidity?

I have a fenderwell intake myself, the only reason I have an aftermarket intake though is b/c I got it reeealy cheap Otherwise I dont think I would spend that much money on such a small improvement.
The JLT CAI DOES move the maf in the fenderwell...
Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 PM
6sphere
1st Gear Member

And one more thing. You should definitely feel a gain with the CAI. I used to have an AEM warm air intake on my Saturn. Basically all it did was replace my stock rubber intake and filter housing with a metal pipe and cone filter. That was my only option as with the automatic, the trans filter was in the way for a CAI. My auto trans took a **** last march and I swapped it out for a manual and I still ran the wai. Well a little bit after that I bought an AEM CAI. The CAI places the filter right in front of the drivers side tire. It gets dirty quickly as I haven't bought a shield yet and I have sucked in water before when I got stuck in a freak downpour. But I felt a good difference in power with the CAI.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
this is just cruising down the road dattalogging our cars. So how do you "highly doubt the comment in general" you think i made it up or what.. i wouldnt have said it if i wasnt looking at it on the damn screen dude.
well we can agree to disagree on the data. (I'll retract my statement as I don't know you well enough to just trust you, but I wasn't there so maybe the screen showed a 2* difference) When I have more time I think I will try a similar test with my car and data log it at the track. I like the idea I just think a real performance test would not be done at cursing speeds and loads.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:44 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
well we can agree to disagree on the data. (I'll retract my statement as I don't know you well enough to just trust you, but I wasn't there so maybe the screen showed a 2* difference) When I have more time I think I will try a similar test with my car and data log it at the track. I like the idea I just think a real performance test would not be done at cursing speeds and loads.
Im not talking about the track.. im talking about just driving around the city. the RAI gt AIT was 79* and mine was 77* with the stock setup with air silencer. this was done just the other day..air temp was around 40 something in san antonio.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:47 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

CAI

Looks cleaner, methinx.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:37 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

CAI and be done with it.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:57 PM
SteveMustangGT
1st Gear Member

Ok so i am leaning towards the CAI, but i dont like the idea of my car sucking up water. Has anyone else had a problem with the JLT CAI doing this. Cause i live in upstate NY and we get a **** load of rain.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:59 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteveMustangGT
Ok so i am leaning towards the CAI, but i dont like the idea of my car sucking up water. Has anyone else had a problem with the JLT CAI doing this. Cause i live in upstate NY and we get a **** load of rain.
in all honesty.. you would have to drive through a fuggin river to suck up THAT much water.. i wouldnt worry about it

Quick Reply: JLT Ram air intake vs. JLT cold air intake