4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tfs intake progress pics!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:52 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Default Tfs intake progress pics!

I got the intake off and the metal line that goes from the back of the water pump to the heater core. TFS gives you a thermostat hose to replace this with.

I have never ran a PVC setup on these heads and it shows. There's absolutly no carbon, or oil redsidue in the ports or on the valves or guides since installing them last year.

When I removed the intake and heads last time they were pretty dirty.

Pic of the front of the motor for the hell of it.

Last edited by jivepepper; 02-25-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:57 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Looks good man, I like the looks of the TFS intakes even though the alternator does look a little goofy turned backwards.

Last edited by amoosenamedhank; 02-26-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

wow those intake ports on the heads look beautiful man. So what are u running instead of the pvc setup? Do u just have two breathers or what? I see that on the passenger side u have a little 90 degree fitting. Can u ellaborate on that some more cause i want my heads to stay that way as well. My stock ones were nasty last time i opened them up
Old 02-25-2009, 10:30 PM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

whens it gonna be done.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 AM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Davojan59
wow those intake ports on the heads look beautiful man. So what are u running instead of the pvc setup? Do u just have two breathers or what? I see that on the passenger side u have a little 90 degree fitting. Can u ellaborate on that some more cause i want my heads to stay that way as well. My stock ones were nasty last time i opened them up

Both sides are tied into a 1qt vented catch can. You can see the filter for it a little in the first pic.

Some more pics.

I did the pre assembly in the house. Installed all the brass fittings water temp sensor etc.

Basic tools and supplies needed.

Installing lower cover.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:46 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Update:

Well I'm at a stand still because TFS forgot one little clip. It's called a hose barb clip and is used when replacing the steel coolant line under the intake so it can be replaced with a rubber hose. It helps keep the hose from coming off or leaking, and replaces the rubber O rings. I think I could get by without it but I'm just going wait and do it right.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

That sucks but the last thing you're going to want to do is rip that back of to fix a coolant leak.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:21 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
That sucks but the last thing you're going to want to do is rip that back of to fix a coolant leak.
I know, I'm just so disapointed because it was warm today and I had the time. It's the only thing holding me up lol.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:43 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

How many do you have on those heads..or from the last time that you had em cleaned?

They're immaculate from what I can see...

Is that first picture standing above the engine shooting down over the ports what it looked like when you pulled the intake? Or have you already cleaned the mating surfaces?

I know it's no comparison because my car had about 70K on it when I pulled my intake manifold off of it the first time, but it was a MESS. Everywhere. All the ports are pretty gunked up, the mating surfaces were all dirty *combination of the miles on the car, and living on a dirt road im sure* and it just looked ugly. But that's spiffy.

And that's a sweet looking intake. How does it compare to a lot of the other after-market intakes?

I have never ran a PVC setup on these heads and it shows. There's absolutly no carbon, or oil redsidue in the ports or on the valves or guides
I'm always looking to learn. And I have no idea what this means.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:51 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
How many do you have on those heads..or from the last time that you had em cleaned?

They're immaculate from what I can see...

Is that first picture standing above the engine shooting down over the ports what it looked like when you pulled the intake? Or have you already cleaned the mating surfaces?

I know it's no comparison because my car had about 70K on it when I pulled my intake manifold off of it the first time, but it was a MESS. Everywhere. All the ports are pretty gunked up, the mating surfaces were all dirty *combination of the miles on the car, and living on a dirt road im sure* and it just looked ugly. But that's spiffy.

And that's a sweet looking intake. How does it compare to a lot of the other after-market intakes?

I'm always looking to learn. And I have no idea what this means.

I have about 5k on these heads, but I know from experience that is all it takes to start seeing a good bit of gunk building up.

The pvc system is the hoses that run from the valve covers to the Plenum and the inlet hose. I instead run both covers to a vented 1qt catch can and plugged off the ports that the hoses use to run to. I also eliminated the pvc on the driverside cover so it's just a hollow elbow.

When I changed heads last spring even the tops of my pistons where cover in a thick grime. My pistons where notched and could hardly tell.

Last edited by jivepepper; 02-26-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Tfs intake progress pics!