4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2004 mustang GT vs 1998 Cobra.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Rios04GT
1st Gear Member

Talking 2004 mustang GT vs 1998 Cobra.

Ok well lets see. Yesterday like around 10 PM I was with my roommates in the house, and we were a bit bored. So we decided to go to a birthday party. It was my turn to drive my car so I went to fire up my 40 anniversary gladly. I told them that my car was only for 4 passenger and since we were five, those on the back would be really tight. The drive to the party house was 15 minutes away, so we got in the car and we were off. After a few minutes on a straigh road, some white halogen lights were causing great pain to my eyes so I decided to switch lanes and let this guy pass by, and he did. He pass by in what seemed to be 2nd gear full throttle. As the car pass by I notice a bright cobra in the driver's side and then I saw the svt cobra logo on the back. It was a white mustang for sure. I just wanted to make sure that it was a legit 1998 svt Cobra. Keeping in mind that I had 4 other people in my car, and a speaker box on the trunk, my chances of winning this race in a stock 04 mustang GT were pretty low. I was in 4th gear, and while the other car was slowing down I switch to 3rd gear and I caught up. I analyze the road and I notice that there was no traffic in front of us, and the surroundings seem safe enough to have a bit of fun. Since I was not sure if that car was a cobra, I let him rev his car one more time, while I listen to his engine and exhaust very carefully. So after that, I knew it was not a v6 mustang and it definetly wasn't a 98 GT since I use to drove one and the GT was slower, and less aggressive sounding than this white mustang I had in to my right side. My friends in the car are all 160+ in pounds so doing the math I was at least 700 pounds of extra weight. My friends were puting some pressure so I gave in and I was ready to race. I drop my stang to 2nd gear to let the other guy I was not kitty. Once I catch up I was waiting for him to hit the throttle, he never did, So I had the impression that he wanted me to get a head start. He probably thought that I was going to be an easy kill. So I drop my car to 2nd like at 35 and I hit the trottle as hard as I could, and almost instantly he hit it as well and we were on. His car was pulling mine by a car on 2nd gear and he was pulling away really slowly. then I switch to 3rd really fast and all of the sudden we were dead even. I saw his face and this guy couldn't believe it. After that there was a car in front of him so I let go the throttle, while the cobra kept going a bit longer then he braked a bit harder than normal. So while I was breaking he kept going and manage to be in front of me at the end. I was been careful and I wanted to make sure this guy had plenty of space in case he wasn't able to break which he did. I kept driving while the cobra was in front of me. I was convince that my car kept up with the cobra and my friends agree with me. They all said that I was dead even when I switch to 3rd gear. So after a few minutes he finally flash his winning lights to let me know that he had won. It took him a while but according to him he won. I am not sure he won the race, but he did show me that he was more of a reckless driver, which is irrelevant to me. At the end i was surprise of what my car is capable of when it has a good driver and a good service treatment from someone that cares. My car has 40 K miles and it looks brand new. I love my car and I try not to race it as much. So this is my story with a white 1998 svt cobra mods unknown, but I assume it was stock and in not so good condition. My car is stock, or that's what I think since I see no performance parts, however I bought my car with a few miles on it so who knows. I will upload some pics as soon as I know how to do that.

I am a new mustang member, and I am glad to be here. I am sure I will need a lot of help in improving my car looks and performance.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Ok well lets see. Yesterday like around 10 PM I was with my roommates in the house, and we were a bit bored. So we decided to go to a birthday party. It was my turn to drive my car so I went to fire up my 40 anniversary gladly. I told them that my car was only for 4 passenger and since we were five, those on the back would be really tight. The drive to the party house was 15 minutes away, so we got in the car and we were off. After a few minutes on a straigh road, some white halogen lights were causing great pain to my eyes so I decided to switch lanes and let this guy pass by, and he did. He pass by in what seemed to be 2nd gear full throttle. As the car pass by I notice a bright cobra in the driver's side and then I saw the svt cobra logo on the back. It was a white mustang for sure. I just wanted to make sure that it was a legit 1998 svt Cobra. Keeping in mind that I had 4 other people in my car, and a speaker box on the trunk, my chances of winning this race in a stock 04 mustang GT were pretty low. I was in 4th gear, and while the other car was slowing down I switch to 3rd gear and I caught up. I analyze the road and I notice that there was no traffic in front of us, and the surroundings seem safe enough to have a bit of fun. Since I was not sure if that car was a cobra, I let him rev his car one more time, while I listen to his engine and exhaust very carefully. So after that, I knew it was not a v6 mustang and it definetly wasn't a 98 GT since I use to drove one and the GT was slower, and less aggressive sounding than this white mustang I had in to my right side. My friends in the car are all 160+ in pounds so doing the math I was at least 700 pounds of extra weight. My friends were puting some pressure so I gave in and I was ready to race. I drop my stang to 2nd gear to let the other guy I was not kitty. Once I catch up I was waiting for him to hit the throttle, he never did, So I had the impression that he wanted me to get a head start. He probably thought that I was going to be an easy kill. So I drop my car to 2nd like at 35 and I hit the trottle as hard as I could, and almost instantly he hit it as well and we were on. His car was pulling mine by a car on 2nd gear and he was pulling away really slowly. then I switch to 3rd really fast and all of the sudden we were dead even. I saw his face and this guy couldn't believe it. After that there was a car in front of him so I let go the throttle, while the cobra kept going a bit longer then he braked a bit harder than normal. So while I was breaking he kept going and manage to be in front of me at the end. I was been careful and I wanted to make sure this guy had plenty of space in case he wasn't able to break which he did. I kept driving while the cobra was in front of me. I was convince that my car kept up with the cobra and my friends agree with me. They all said that I was dead even when I switch to 3rd gear. So after a few minutes he finally flash his winning lights to let me know that he had won. It took him a while but according to him he won. I am not sure he won the race, but he did show me that he was more of a reckless driver, which is irrelevant to me. At the end i was surprise of what my car is capable of when it has a good driver and a good service treatment from someone that cares. My car has 40 K miles and it looks brand new. I love my car and I try not to race it as much. So this is my story with a white 1998 svt cobra mods unknown, but I assume it was stock and in not so good condition. My car is stock, or that's what I think since I see no performance parts, however I bought my car with a few miles on it so who knows. I will upload some pics as soon as I know how to do that.I am a new mustang member, and I am glad to be here. I am sure I will need a lot of help in improving my car looks and performance. Ok well lets see. Yesterday like around 10 PM I was with my roommates in the house, and we were a bit bored. So we decided to go to a birthday party. It was my turn to drive my car so I went to fire up my 40 anniversary gladly. I told them that my car was only for 4 passenger and since we were five, those on the back would be really tight. The drive to the party house was 15 minutes away, so we got in the car and we were off. After a few minutes on a straigh road, some white halogen lights were causing great pain to my eyes so I decided to switch lanes and let this guy pass by, and he did. He pass by in what seemed to be 2nd gear full throttle. As the car pass by I notice a bright cobra in the driver's side and then I saw the svt cobra logo on the back. It was a white mustang for sure. I just wanted to make sure that it was a legit 1998 svt Cobra. Keeping in mind that I had 4 other people in my car, and a speaker box on the trunk, my chances of winning this race in a stock 04 mustang GT were pretty low. I was in 4th gear, and while the other car was slowing down I switch to 3rd gear and I caught up. I analyze the road and I notice that there was no traffic in front of us, and the surroundings seem safe enough to have a bit of fun. Since I was not sure if that car was a cobra, I let him rev his car one more time, while I listen to his engine and exhaust very carefully. So after that, I knew it was not a v6 mustang and it definetly wasn't a 98 GT since I use to drove one and the GT was slower, and less aggressive sounding than this white mustang I had in to my right side. My friends in the car are all 160+ in pounds so doing the math I was at least 700 pounds of extra weight. My friends were puting some pressure so I gave in and I was ready to race. I drop my stang to 2nd gear to let the other guy I was not kitty. Once I catch up I was waiting for him to hit the throttle, he never did, So I had the impression that he wanted me to get a head start. He probably thought that I was going to be an easy kill. So I drop my car to 2nd like at 35 and I hit the trottle as hard as I could, and almost instantly he hit it as well and we were on. His car was pulling mine by a car on 2nd gear and he was pulling away really slowly. then I switch to 3rd really fast and all of the sudden we were dead even. I saw his face and this guy couldn't believe it. After that there was a car in front of him so I let go the throttle, while the cobra kept going a bit longer then he braked a bit harder than normal. So while I was breaking he kept going and manage to be in front of me at the end. I was been careful and I wanted to make sure this guy had plenty of space in case he wasn't able to break which he did. I kept driving while the cobra was in front of me. I was convince that my car kept up with the cobra and my friends agree with me. They all said that I was dead even when I switch to 3rd gear. So after a few minutes he finally flash his winning lights to let me know that he had won. It took him a while but according to him he won. I am not sure he won the race, but he did show me that he was more of a reckless driver, which is irrelevant to me. At the end i was surprise of what my car is capable of when it has a good driver and a good service treatment from someone that cares. My car has 40 K miles and it looks brand new. I love my car and I try not to race it as much. So this is my story with a white 1998 svt cobra mods unknown, but I assume it was stock and in not so good condition. My car is stock, or that's what I think since I see no performance parts, however I bought my car with a few miles on it so who knows. I will upload some pics as soon as I know how to do that. I am a new mustang member, and I am glad to be here. I am sure I will need a lot of help in improving my car looks and performance. Ok well lets see. Yesterday like around 10 PM I was with my roommates in the house, and we were a bit bored. So we decided to go to a birthday party. It was my turn to drive my car so I went to fire up my 40 anniversary gladly. I told them that my car was only for 4 passenger and since we were five, those on the back would be really tight. The drive to the party house was 15 minutes away, so we got in the car and we were off. After a few minutes on a straigh road, some white halogen lights were causing great pain to my eyes so I decided to switch lanes and let this guy pass by, and he did. He pass by in what seemed to be 2nd gear full throttle. As the car pass by I notice a bright cobra in the driver's side and then I saw the svt cobra logo on the back. It was a white mustang for sure. I just wanted to make sure that it was a legit 1998 svt Cobra. Keeping in mind that I had 4 other people in my car, and a speaker box on the trunk, my chances of winning this race in a stock 04 mustang GT were pretty low. I was in 4th gear, and while the other car was slowing down I switch to 3rd gear and I caught up. I analyze the road and I notice that there was no traffic in front of us, and the surroundings seem safe enough to have a bit of fun. Since I was not sure if that car was a cobra, I let him rev his car one more time, while I listen to his engine and exhaust very carefully. So after that, I knew it was not a v6 mustang and it definetly wasn't a 98 GT since I use to drove one and the GT was slower, and less aggressive sounding than this white mustang I had in to my right side. My friends in the car are all 160+ in pounds so doing the math I was at least 700 pounds of extra weight. My friends were puting some pressure so I gave in and I was ready to race. I drop my stang to 2nd gear to let the other guy I was not kitty. Once I catch up I was waiting for him to hit the throttle, he never did, So I had the impression that he wanted me to get a head start. He probably thought that I was going to be an easy kill. So I drop my car to 2nd like at 35 and I hit the trottle as hard as I could, and almost instantly he hit it as well and we were on. His car was pulling mine by a car on 2nd gear and he was pulling away really slowly. then I switch to 3rd really fast and all of the sudden we were dead even. I saw his face and this guy couldn't believe it. After that there was a car in front of him so I let go the throttle, while the cobra kept going a bit longer then he braked a bit harder than normal. So while I was breaking he kept going and manage to be in front of me at the end. I was been careful and I wanted to make sure this guy had plenty of space in case he wasn't able to break which he did. I kept driving while the cobra was in front of me. I was convince that my car kept up with the cobra and my friends agree with me. They all said that I was dead even when I switch to 3rd gear. So after a few minutes he finally flash his winning lights to let me know that he had won. It took him a while but according to him he won. I am not sure he won the race, but he did show me that he was more of a reckless driver, which is irrelevant to me. At the end i was surprise of what my car is capable of when it has a good driver and a good service treatment from someone that cares. My car has 40 K miles and it looks brand new. I love my car and I try not to race it as much. So this is my story with a white 1998 svt cobra mods unknown, but I assume it was stock and in not so good condition. My car is stock, or that's what I think since I see no performance parts, however I bought my car with a few miles on it so who knows. I will upload some pics as soon as I know how to do that. I am a new mustang member, and I am glad to be here. I am sure I will need a lot of help in improving my car looks and performance. Ok well lets see. Yesterday like around 10 PM I was with my roommates in the house, and we were a bit bored. So we decided to go to a birthday party. It was my turn to drive my car so I went to fire up my 40 anniversary gladly. I told them that my car was only for 4 passenger and since we were five, those on the back would be really tight. The drive to the party house was 15 minutes away, so we got in the car and we were off. After a few minutes on a straigh road, some white halogen lights were causing great pain to my eyes so I decided to switch lanes and let this guy pass by, and he did. He pass by in what seemed to be 2nd gear full throttle. As the car pass by I notice a bright cobra in the driver's side and then I saw the svt cobra logo on the back. It was a white mustang for sure. I just wanted to make sure that it was a legit 1998 svt Cobra. Keeping in mind that I had 4 other people in my car, and a speaker box on the trunk, my chances of winning this race in a stock 04 mustang GT were pretty low. I was in 4th gear, and while the other car was slowing down I switch to 3rd gear and I caught up. I analyze the road and I notice that there was no traffic in front of us, and the surroundings seem safe enough to have a bit of fun. Since I was not sure if that car was a cobra, I let him rev his car one more time, while I listen to his engine and exhaust very carefully. So after that, I knew it was not a v6 mustang and it definetly wasn't a 98 GT since I use to drove one and the GT was slower, and less aggressive sounding than this white mustang I had in to my right side. My friends in the car are all 160+ in pounds so doing the math I was at least 700 pounds of extra weight. My friends were puting some pressure so I gave in and I was ready to race. I drop my stang to 2nd gear to let the other guy I was not kitty. Once I catch up I was waiting for him to hit the throttle, he never did, So I had the impression that he wanted me to get a head start. He probably thought that I was going to be an easy kill. So I drop my car to 2nd like at 35 and I hit the trottle as hard as I could, and almost instantly he hit it as well and we were on. His car was pulling mine by a car on 2nd gear and he was pulling away really slowly. then I switch to 3rd really fast and all of the sudden we were dead even. I saw his face and this guy couldn't believe it. After that there was a car in front of him so I let go the throttle, while the cobra kept going a bit longer then he braked a bit harder than normal. So while I was breaking he kept going and manage to be in front of me at the end. I was been careful and I wanted to make sure this guy had plenty of space in case he wasn't able to break which he did. I kept driving while the cobra was in front of me. I was convince that my car kept up with the cobra and my friends agree with me. They all said that I was dead even when I switch to 3rd gear. So after a few minutes he finally flash his winning lights to let me know that he had won. It took him a while but according to him he won. I am not sure he won the race, but he did show me that he was more of a reckless driver, which is irrelevant to me. At the end i was surprise of what my car is capable of when it has a good driver and a good service treatment from someone that cares. My car has 40 K miles and it looks brand new. I love my car and I try not to race it as much. So this is my story with a white 1998 svt cobra mods unknown, but I assume it was stock and in not so good condition. My car is stock, or that's what I think since I see no performance parts, however I bought my car with a few miles on it so who knows. I will upload some pics as soon as I know how to do that.

I am a new mustang member, and I am glad to be here. I am sure I will need a lot of help in improving my car looks and performance.

See how you like it! Fcukin noob...
Old 03-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Rios04GT
1st Gear Member

@Sxynerd

what is your problem? Did I insulted you? How about you show some respect. I don't know what your problem is, but I am sure nobody likes you here.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 AM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

sxynerd is actually liked around here, he was just making a point about your long post, which was a pretty harsh...but pretty darn funny as well...

welcome to the forums none the less.

but to the point...wrong section (races go in the S/S section) and i dont think anyone here is going to believe a stock 04 GT with "at least 700 lbs of extra weight" out ran a 98 Cobra.

in the nicest way possible

more valves + more power - "700 lbs" + a ****ty driver = still beats an 04 gt (more often than not).
Old 03-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Rios04GT
1st Gear Member

I am sorry for posting this in the wrong section but either way he was been an ***. He even re posted the entire post all over again with an extra chunk to it. In the cobra there was two people. From what I have a read the 1998 and the 04 GT have similar quarter mile times. 14 flat for the cobra and 14.1 or more for the GT. I was been nice in my post even though it was long, and I am not forcing anyone to go an read it. But if this the kind of welcoming a new member receives from current members I think I am better off somewhere else than here.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 AM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

you really shouldnt take it personally. its all good who knows maybe nerd was drunk, i know i am . personally i dont give a darn if you posted here or not, im just letting you know cuz it might get moved.

but regardless of the stock 1/4 times you found,a slower car (14.0 to 14.1) PLUS 700 lbs isnt going to beat a faster car with less weight...not to be mean to a noob or anyone in general, but it doesnt add up.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Roadster

Do the 4-valves really sound different, stock to stock? I've never heard a Cobra with the stock system.

I met a '98 Cobra on the street last year, and we had a little fun. His car sounded great, but he told me he was running Bassani cat-back. He thought my car sounded good for the stock exhaust.

Also played with a '04 Cobra, his exhaust was not stock, but it was sick. Totally bad-***! I'm not sure what it was.

Can my 2V be made to sound as good as their 4V's? Or does the 4V just sound better no matter what?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roadster
Do the 4-valves really sound different, stock to stock? I've never heard a Cobra with the stock system.

I met a '98 Cobra on the street last year, and we had a little fun. His car sounded great, but he told me he was running Bassani cat-back. He thought my car sounded good for the stock exhaust.

Also played with a '04 Cobra, his exhaust was not stock, but it was sick. Totally bad-***! I'm not sure what it was.

Can my 2V be made to sound as good as their 4V's? Or does the 4V just sound better no matter what?
I think it's the general concensus that a full exhaust 2V makes the best noise. The 4V is nice in a more refined way. I love the sound of a 2V with a full Bassani exhaust with a Mach and 03/04 Cobra not far behind...
Old 03-09-2009, 09:12 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

lmao @ sxynerd

LOL
Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
lmao @ sxynerd

LOL
Yeah, the lack of paragraphs and brutal english/grammar made the OP a little much...

Quick Reply: 2004 mustang GT vs 1998 Cobra.