4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

A 3.4l whipple on a 2v possibility???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Question A 3.4l whipple on a 2v possibility???

Ok, so before everyone post: they dont make a whipple 2v kit, bla bla bla... please read first

So the topic of installing a eaton on a 2v came up today and was talking to the guy saying that you would need the tork tech manifold ect... to do the swap, when i had a idea.

If one would use the tork tech manifold, would you be able to install the whipple on to this to be able to run the whipple on a 2v? The reason i ask is that from all the searching i have done and pics i have looked at, the whipple is a direct replacement for the eaton. So if it is, then theoretically, you should be able to bolt on a whipple to the TT manifold. The only thing i am not sure of is the snout length. But the again, if the eaton will work on the 2v, then the whipple should work as they have to be the same length for them to be able to work on the 4v motors.
The only thing that be be in the way of installation is the pulley layout. I'm am by no means a 32v expert and have no clue if the pulleys on the front of the engine are in the same locations or not. If they are not, could they be modified to be able to fit the belt of the s/c? maybe a couple custom brackets?

Any cobra guys who veiws this who are running the whipple, please list the modifications if any that were required to bold the s/c on.

Thanks for reading and please post any info you have on the topic.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Tork Tech manifold:
http://shop.torktech.com/99-04gtsupe...ablower-1.aspx

Whipple 3.4L s/c (03-04 cobra upgrade kit):
http://www.lethalperformance.com/sup...-black-p-12952
Old 03-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

ok, so i just called lethal performance and talked to them about the idea and from what we discusse it will work!!!!! They said that the whipple is a direct replacement for the eaton and that it comes with no manifold. With that being said, the bolt patterns of the whipple/eaton are the same. So it will bolt on to the tork teck manifold.
Also discussed the pulley issue. I did a little more reading about the TT minifold package and they include the pulley bracket with the manifold to be able to run the eaton. So with this bracket, you will also be able to run the whipple.
Now the only 2 things i am not sure of is the fitment of the intake.... and how well the tork tech manifold will flow air at high boost levels.

1: i dont see this being a issue as the heads on the 2v are no higher than the 4v and they are not as wide. so by all means there should be no fitment issues there but i am not 100% sure on this.

2: i will have to do more research for flow #'s to see what this kit is capable of. I cant imagine it would be too restrictive. But again am not positive on this.

total price with out tax would come to roughly $5,605 for manifold and 3.4l whipple.
Other supporting items would be needed such as injectors, fuel pump,prob a cobra fuel tank for high HP app, bigger maf,TB,CAI,ect.... so you are probably looking in the range of $6,500 or so. im sure you could do it cheaper if you found the parts used.
But that is still not bad for having a 3.4l blower on top or a 2v.

Last edited by Tim99GT; 03-31-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Wow that's think outside of the box. It sounds like you might be onto something here. Is this a project you're actually looking into doing or more of a hypothetical thing?

There is a guy over on modularfords that is swapping to a 3v just to run a bigger blower.... if this ends up working out, I bet he's going to feel kinda dumb.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I though about this a while back, but just trashed the idea.

I figured it would just be cheaper to go with a proven kenne bell kit. But if you do this, and it works out for you it's going to be a monster.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Wow that's think outside of the box. It sounds like you might be onto something here. Is this a project you're actually looking into doing or more of a hypothetical thing?

There is a guy over on modularfords that is swapping to a 3v just to run a bigger blower.... if this ends up working out, I bet he's going to feel kinda dumb.
Well i never did plan to do the swap, just b/c i didnt know if it could be done. but the more i look into it, there might be a possibility that i will do it. I was going to eventually sell the 2.1l KB i have now for the 2.6 or the soon to come 2.8l that KB is releasing to have a larger blower capable of more power. But if i could do the 3.4l whipple swap for basically the same price as the 2.6l KB, i think it might be a no brainer on which on to go with. I just have to research it more to see what the whipple is capable of. Dont get me wrong, i love the KB, but a huge *** whipple might perform better than the smaller displacment KB. Just need to weight out the $ per hp ratio to see if it is worth it to do the swap. But it would be unique as hell to have a whipple of that size on a 2v!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
mustangman281
Banned

That sounds like a fun build. I might dip my hands into that for the wifes car.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:22 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

So basically let Ox do it first and then he can figure out all the things that suck. And you'll know if it's worth doing or not.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:25 PM
mustangman281
Banned

What ever, let him do it first and do a write up then when I do it I'll do it bigger
Old 03-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman281
What ever, let him do it first and do a write up then when I do it I'll do it bigger
LMAO!!!! i dont think they make a blower larger than the 3.4l... so then you would just be copying! LOL!!!

Quick Reply: A 3.4l whipple on a 2v possibility???