4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

So....what should i do next? Im kind of split

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Default So....what should i do next? Im kind of split

So I'm kind of split between a couple of options of what to do next to my 00' stang.

option 1: Full bolt-ons and cams
option 2: 4v swap in about year, and then build it from that.
option 3: Suspension mods and a S/C or Turbo

I don't know really what to do because my cars sitting at 138k miles, and hopefully won't have any problems for a little while, but i want to have an engine that's going to be able to make a lot of power and I know a 2v is going to take a lot more time and money to make more power and figured finding a used 4v in a salvage/junk yard might be a good way to go. There's a "pull a part" right down the road and figured I'll go look for a 4v (only $140) for a engine if i find one, so hopefully there will be something there.

I can do the bolt-ons and suspension myself, but what kind of labor costs would I be looking at if I was was to do cams or 4v swap or a S/C

Also what kind of cars came from ford with a 4.6 4v motor? From what research I've done a, Cobra 1996-1999, 2001, 2003-2004, Lincoln Mark VIII 1993-1998, Mercury Marauder 2003-2004, Mustang Mach 1 2003-2004, Lincoln Aviator-2002-2005.

Are there any other cars that I should look for or is that all of them?

Thanks for the help and input in advance.

Last edited by Capt Hair; 04-24-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Doommaker
2nd Gear Member

4v Swap would be the best. It will leave you more room to grow. You'll be able to go past 450hp which is a bonus. If I could spend that much, I would!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

suspension and f/i...
Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

suspension and FI then save for forged internals to crank up the boost
Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 AM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

4v swap would be great, but i also feel like I owe the 2v something. What, i don't know. It's kinda like that date you went on and didn't spend alot of money on cause she wasn't cute as the one who had bigger t*ts. Aww hell, i'm rambling again! Buy the s/c for the 2v and be happy!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02 Ninja
4v swap would be great, but i also feel like I owe the 2v something. What, i don't know. It's kinda like that date you went on and didn't spend alot of money on cause she wasn't cute as the one who had bigger t*ts. Aww hell, i'm rambling again! Buy the s/c for the 2v and be happy!
comparing girls to cars is never a good idea considering that if they were indeed female a good majority of use would be in jail for beating the sh*t out of her.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:02 AM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kmelfi11
comparing girls to cars is never a good idea considering that if they were indeed female a good majority of use would be in jail for beating the sh*t out of her.

I see your point! LOL
Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

"A lot of power " is a relative term. The least expensive way to make a lot of power is with forced induction: nitrous, supercharger or turbocharger. If you put on your own long-tube headers and can do suspension then you should be able to install a centrifical supercharger. With forced induction you can get 370-380 rwhp safely. That's somewhere around 440 hp at the block. A lot of people push it higher but I'm not sure I would at 138,000 miles.

The last thing I would do is a 4v swap. I realize that they are supposed to be the elite mod motor, but I don't think that they flow enough better than the 3v to pay the additional cost. All of the 4v's you listed have the same rods and pistions as our 2v motors. Their heads allow them to make a bit more power supercharged than our 2v motors but not a lot. A 3v motor is suppose to drop right into our cars without changing the wiring harness and ECU. You need to buy a conversion kit to get rid of the variable timing, etc. but its a simplier swap than the 4v.

If by a lot of power you mean near 500 rwhp then you are going to have to run a built motor and change out your fuel system.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:54 AM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02 Ninja

greatest reply of all time.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
"A lot of power " is a relative term. The least expensive way to make a lot of power is with forced induction: nitrous, supercharger or turbocharger. If you put on your own long-tube headers and can do suspension then you should be able to install a centrifical supercharger. With forced induction you can get 370-380 rwhp safely. That's somewhere around 440 hp at the block. A lot of people push it higher but I'm not sure I would at 138,000 miles.

The last thing I would do is a 4v swap. I realize that they are supposed to be the elite mod motor, but I don't think that they flow enough better than the 3v to pay the additional cost. All of the 4v's you listed have the same rods and pistions as our 2v motors. Their heads allow them to make a bit more power supercharged than our 2v motors but not a lot. A 3v motor is suppose to drop right into our cars without changing the wiring harness and ECU. You need to buy a conversion kit to get rid of the variable timing, etc. but its a simplier swap than the 4v.

If by a lot of power you mean near 500 rwhp then you are going to have to run a built motor and change out your fuel system.
Well you see what i want as far as power wise right now is around 350rhp, so the S/C would do that, but the problem is, I have no plans on stopping there, i want when everything is said and done 500hp and probably more once i reach that goal. I just don't know if it would be a better idea to invest in a 4v motor now, since mine is getting up there on miles, or a 3v if i can find one.

Would an S/C be that easy to install, i mean i realize its not "easy" but this my first car and I'm still figuring everything out, is it pretty cut and dry if i had instuctions, which i hope it would come with?

Noob question time: Can i build my current motor to be able to handle 500rhp, what goes into building a motor? Is it just new heads, pistons, and cams that can handle that power, or is it more? I never really understood what some of yall we're talking about when you say "built motor"

Last edited by Capt Hair; 04-24-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: So....what should i do next? Im kind of split