4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

OMFG how could this happen?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:32 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Ok I am in the process of repainting it now. Not sure how it's going to turn out. The paint matches color wise it seems. I am having to repaint the entire patch where the trim was because of the color matching issues. But here are some before pics....

Old 04-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Doommaker
2nd Gear Member

Not as bad as how you made it sound. Just have someone sand it down and paint over it. Won't be that expensive I don't think...My car has the same thing, and I've thought about asking how to take it off but I figured it would be more trouble than it's worth. Thanks for proving my suspicions lol, those things are staying on my car.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:54 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

I am in the process of trying to fix it now. Got it masked and spraying it now. Looks like it may match pretty well. Biggest issue is keeping the lines where it peeled from showing underneath the new paint but we will see. I had the paint shop mix up some touch up of TK code paint in an aeresol can and got a can of clear as well. After some research I found this is a very common and very successful method to fix paint in large areas. I never thought I would have had this issue and I have never seen another stang with this issue or I wouldn't have attempted it
Old 04-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Doommaker
2nd Gear Member

Just keep putting coats down till you can't see any of the damage through the new paint.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Ok I finished one side and it doesn't look to bad actually. But I do have a fine line where the old paint meets the new. Can someone give me the details on blending it? Should I simply tape a small amount above and below the line leaving some old paint showing and respray the clear to blend it or what? You can for sure tell a tape line was there.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Oh jesus....Just fix it right.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Doommaker
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Oh jesus....Just fix it right.
This ^
Old 04-25-2009, 10:05 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Well....here is the way it looks as of right now. Don't think there is any making it match. Looks like I am stuck like this until I can get it repainted Any tips before I do the other side?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:06 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

that was three base and three clear btw. Hard to match faded paint and I am a newbie to this so I have no idea if I could have feathered it in to be less noticeable or what
Old 04-25-2009, 10:40 PM
ashtondiff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doommaker
Not as bad as how you made it sound. Just have someone sand it down and paint over it. Won't be that expensive I don't think...My car has the same thing, and I've thought about asking how to take it off but I figured it would be more trouble than it's worth. Thanks for proving my suspicions lol, those things are staying on my car.
ive seen people use fishing line to "floss" between badges and the car to get them off then use some sort of bug and tar remover to get the rest of the adhesive off. same concept for that thing on your door. im SO glad mine didnt come with those.

Quick Reply: OMFG how could this happen?!