4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

auto to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:02 AM
youkairyu32
1st Gear Member

Default auto to manual swap

Ok, I am about to start the long grueling process of changing my automatic into a manual.

I already have:
T-56 transmission
Street/track clutch
Flywheel
Heavy duty clutch fork
Aluminum drive shaft
Aluminum Manual Radiator
Shifter

-----------

This next week I am going to the pick and pull in an attempt to get the remainder of the parts. Including:

Master/slave cylinder
Hosing
Clutch linkage
Differential
Yoke(s)
Pedal cluster
ECU

-----------

Any advice, comments, suggestions, or items that I forgot? Other then the obvious "sell car buy a manual" (the only reason that I have an automatic is because of the crazy deal that I got for it, couldn't pass it up)
Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Looks like you are pretty set to go. Maybe a trans X-member needed? Pepe my T-56 swap thread and maybe you will find something you may have missed.

Jazzer
Old 06-22-2009, 04:42 PM
youkairyu32
1st Gear Member

UPDATE:

Ok, so I learned a few things and feel pretty dumb, but that is to be expected considering I have never seen under the hood of a manual mustang before. :P The clutch is cable driven, which means that I don't need any cylinders (master/slave) or hoses. So, I picked up a Steeda adjustable clutch cable.

I stopped by a mustang dissembler and lucked out by finding a newly wrecked 04 v6 mustang convertible. I nabbed the pedal cluster and the hardware to install it. However, I am probably going to have some problems with wiring, considering there is currently a switch that doesn't let me start the car without having it in park. Now there needs to be a switch that doesn't let me start it without having the clutch in... but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I also got the shift boot for the console (like the whole vynal piece and leather boot), and the body boot (the metal piece with the rubber boot that bolts to the body right above the transmission). However, I am not sure that I am going to use either of them. The boot itself looks a little dirty to be put onto my 20k mile mustang, and the body boot may not fit with the Steeda shifter that I got.

The pedals from the v6 however looked like crap, I mean I have the nice billit pedals on my mustang right now... so the rubber ones that the v6 had look dreadful. So, I picked up a set of the billit pedals for the new manual setup from lethal performance.

With regards to the ECM, I was looking around the disassembley places without luck... however while waiting for one place in rancho cordova to see if they had the parts I had a stroke of luck. A ford master technician was there waiting for parts too and struck up a conversation with me. He turned out to be the shop foreman for huge ford dealership. He told me he could hook me up with a new ECM for like 450-500 bucks! Then the keys will need to be programmed for the passive security system. It takes two keys and costs about 100 bucks. I plan on going down there within the next week or two.

-------------------------------

The project was started over the weekend and the auto transmission is out, the drive line is dropped, and the center console is ripped apart. I am now starting to measure everything for clearance. I don't think I am going to have to cut anything, but we will see.

I'll keep anyone who is interested updated as the project progresses. I know that I am not the only one with an automatic and unhappy about the fact.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:54 PM
mustangman281
Banned

You must have more money then sense. You have no idea what your doing do you?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:19 PM
liljojo4711
4th Gear Member

ill follow along just to see how much this is going to cost in the end
Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
youkairyu32
1st Gear Member

You guys don't have to be mean...

Even if I had a manual car to begin with, every part that I have purchased short of the pedal cluster and the ECM are performance upgrades which I would have eventually put onto a manual car anyway. The aluminum driveshaft, the aluminum radiator, the T-56, the street/track clutch, the adjustable clutch cable, etc. they are all upgrades.

The total cost thus far has been about $5,000 and I don't think it is going to be much more expensive then that...

*knocks on wood*

What is so wrong with me wanting to swap the transmission?

b.t.w. thanks for the information on the swap jezzer, it has really helped me figure out how to set up the reverse switch on the t-56

Last edited by youkairyu32; 06-22-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM
mustangman281
Banned

You don't need a new ecu just a tune. You need a tranny wiring harness which will have to be repinned. You need a new block plate.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:44 PM
youkairyu32
1st Gear Member

You are right, I did forget about the block plate, i'll pick one of those up too.

As far as the tyranny wiring harness... I wasn't aware that I would need to change the pin configuration on that... The ford technician I was talking to failed to mention anything about that. However, I will be sure to bring it up when I talk to him.

The deal is that I was stupid and bought an automatic when I really wanted a manual. I thought it wouldn't bother me that much, but it is. I have had this car since high school and have spent countless hours cursing at it. I don't want to just throw all that away and buy a manual car. I already have 5k worth of parts so, even though it sounds like a fools errant, I am going for it.

Thanks for the helpful comments, I am not sure about the ECM retuning... I was under the impression that there is no way that I could get my hands on the proper flash to do things like delete the shift point information. Do you know of software that could make my ECM work? I would much rather spend the 600 bucks getting software instead of an entirely new ECM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:55 PM
mustangman281
Banned

Go get dyno tuned. You shouldn't be driving around on the vortech tune anyway that is just good enough to get you to dyno.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

My ECU is from a Manual car. There is no reason to buy a new ECU, LSA^. I know of at least 3 people on the forums that have blown up their engines by running vortech tunes.

Quick Reply: auto to manual swap