4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New GT Owner with Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM
02GTPonyKid

Default New GT Owner with Some Questions

Hey All!

I've always wanted a Mustang and finally my parents got me a 2002 GT in Mineral Gray for my 17th birthday! This is my first car other than the Civic I shared with my sister for a year. I don't really know all that much about these cars but I know how to do the basics. After my parents surprised me with the car (which already has a killer Bassani exhaust!) I wanted to make sure all the fluids were fine and everything so I took it to a friends house that knows more about cars than I do and has tools and stuff to change the oil, air filter and transmission fluid. Everything went fine until we got to the transmission fluid. I wasn't sure what kind to put in it and my friend said any transmission fluid works in manual transmissions. So we put the kind of transmission fluid that he had in his garage into the car until it came out of the fill hole.

My question is this: Since we changed the transmission fluid it has been really hard to shift. It grinds almost every time and now I'm scared that I might have broken something since now the clutch pedal is really hard to push. If I put the right kind of fluid in will it fix it? What kind of fluid should I get? Thanks in advanace.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:26 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

i would deff get the right kinda fluid, although i have no idea what weight or brand that would be.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:34 AM
sonic03blue
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02GTPonyKid
Hey All!

I've always wanted a Mustang and finally my parents got me a 2002 GT in Mineral Gray for my 17th birthday! This is my first car other than the Civic I shared with my sister for a year. I don't really know all that much about these cars but I know how to do the basics. After my parents surprised me with the car (which already has a killer Bassani exhaust!) I wanted to make sure all the fluids were fine and everything so I took it to a friends house that knows more about cars than I do and has tools and stuff to change the oil, air filter and transmission fluid. Everything went fine until we got to the transmission fluid. I wasn't sure what kind to put in it and my friend said any transmission fluid works in manual transmissions. So we put the kind of transmission fluid that he had in his garage into the car until it came out of the fill hole.

My question is this: Since we changed the transmission fluid it has been really hard to shift. It grinds almost every time and now I'm scared that I might have broken something since now the clutch pedal is really hard to push. If I put the right kind of fluid in will it fix it? What kind of fluid should I get? Thanks in advanace.
Our cars take ATF. If your car is still under warranty make sure to only put the Ford specified brand ATF in your vehicle. If you are no longer on warranty drain out your fluid and put synthetic in there. If you're worried about having a damaged tranny look for metal pieces in your fluid when you drain it. Metal is something you DON'T want to see in your fluid!!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Houghtown
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the metal in the fluid. I run Royal Purple syncromesh in mine and have no issues whatsoever.

I don't know if changing the fluid will fix it or not but it's worth a shot. Congrats on the car BTW.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:51 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I think your only suppose to put in 3.25 quarts.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:55 AM
02GTPonyKid

Should I be able to get the Royal Purple stuff at Pep Boys or Autozone? I'll change it and see if it helps.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:03 PM
02GTPonyKid

Woops, posted twice.

Last edited by 02GTPonyKid; 06-12-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Congrats on the car. My parents surprised me w/ mine too on my 16th birthday. YOu'll be gettin the mod bug soon!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Houghtown
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
I think your only suppose to put in 3.25 quarts.
+1 I run 3 1/4 quarts too.

I get mine at the local speed shop. Autozone or Pep Boys might have it. You can google royal purple and look up dealers I believe.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:23 PM
02GTPonyKid

OK, I'll go and pick some up now and change it. When I'm done I'll post back with how it went.

Quick Reply: New GT Owner with Some Questions