4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

T-Trim Numbers In!!!!! The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:31 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Default T-Trim Numbers In!!!!! The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly

OK. So here is the deal. As you might or might not know, we installed a Vortech V1 T-Trim w/ ebay intercooler and a Draw through system. Well.... Haha, that doesnt work as well as it should. The Blower is just too must for the draw through system, so I need to switch over to a blow-through, which I am in the process of doing already. I will be able to reuse the stock MAF (w/ mafia extender), however, I am going to be buying a MAF harnes and welding it onto the intake pipe of the throttle body. We have to move the blow-off valve to before the MAF so that we are not discharging any metered air. This will create that loud "gush" of air you hear most turbos make. I don't know if I like that at the moment, but oh well.

On a side not, Dan at Pro-Dyno.net is THE MAN. If you are anywhere in our area, YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOUR CAR TO HIM. He is the guru on tuning mustangs, hands down. Haha, he pretty much let me go with a slap on the wrist today to switch to a blow-through system (after 4 runs and lots of tweaking mind you) before he actually charges me ANYTHING. now I will be paying when I get back to the shop for sure, no question on that lol, but it just goes to show you, good service is hard to come by these days, and he is good service. (Pro Dyno's Number is 704.651.3807)

THE PROBLEM, was that this system had too much voltage fluctuation in the maf (current located in the fender well, on the intake side of the supercharger). This voltage fluctuation was caused by the vortech itself, in that it just pulls too much air for it to be on the intake side of the supercharger. That is why we are switching to AFTER the blower, where the air will be easier to read (and the voltage *Crosses fingers* will not fluctuate near as bad)

One thing to add, this voltage fluctuation I am talking about only is only during low RPMS. At WOT, He had it tuned and working, hence, why I can tell you my numbers. The car just isn't as "streetable" as I would like it to be, lol. WOT is fine and tuned.

Here is the video, ill let you get the numbers from it ;-)

YouTube - Mustang GT Vortech v1 t-trim Dyno
Old 05-19-2010, 05:35 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

awesome man. congrats. good luck on the changes too! should be awesome when done.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:37 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Second! Damn, your car sounds awesome, nice numbers!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Awesome! Is that still on the stock bottom end?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:46 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Awesome! Is that still on the stock bottom end?
my answer to that is not for long lol. I had no intention or idea I would hit that high...
Old 05-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

I'm almost positive that you can't just change your MAF location and call it a blow through mass air flow sensor... The design is still a draw through setup, its not designed to be in a blow through application. I could be wrong on this, but if that is the case, not sure why people would advertise a MAF as blow through or draw through. As far as the "woosh" sound of a BoV, you will like it, trust me. That was probably 60% of the reason I ended up going blow through vs draw through.

Last edited by Kerns; 05-19-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Nice numbers. Your bottom end will be fine if the tune is good. Mustang or dynojet?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

post the dyno graph if you can.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:18 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I thought you were going blow-thru
You should get an 05+ slot style maf from VMP, it's what i run
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
I thought you were going blow-thru
You should get an 05+ slot style maf from VMP, it's what i run
Ditto, they are amazing and virtually unpeggable. In a 3" housing they support up to 650RWHP and if you do start to hit more then that, you just upgrade to 3.5" piping instead.

Quick Reply: T-Trim Numbers In!!!!! The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly