4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

tune up costs?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Default tune up costs?!?

So I need a tune up real bad on my 01 GT. Its real sluggish and just hit 100K. I want to do it myself, but have no tools and no know how (I'm workin on that). So I called Firestone to check the cost: Change spark plugs: $197, Clean Fuel System $94, Change Fuel Filter: $87!
WTF? I thought a simple tune up wouldn't be more than $150 total. Is this normal or are they ripping me off?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:58 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Rip off, do It yourself. If you need help post up and we will help you out.

Last edited by DreamerGT; 07-13-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:23 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

$197 for changing the plugs!!!

It's 30 minutes work...
Old 07-13-2009, 06:52 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

87 for the fuel filter....wtf
Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 PM
apeterman
1st Gear Member

That is ridiculous. I never go to Firestone for anything. They are always overpriced. Almost $200 for spark plugs! HAHA LOL. That is insane. Just go to the auto parts store near you. Get a Haynes or Chilton Manual open it up to the tune up section and buy the parts and supplies you need for the job. Hell everything you need should be under $200 for a complete tune up. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I would not be surprised if a Ford dealer would be less than that...
Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 AM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I would not be surprised if a Ford dealer would be less than that...
Negative. I the Ford dealership near me a while back about changing the plugs. The guy said he would "work with me" on labor pricing and quoted me $350 to change them.

No you didn't read that wrong...it says $350. I didn't know what to do first, laugh or kick him in the nuts.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

OP check out a local mom and pop shop or even a independent owned muffler man. Local places usually do good work for a good price , Just Google up some shops and try to find some online reviews if you can. Changing the plugs I would recommend doing yourself , Grab some motor craft plugs, Anti seize , a Socket set with a good swivel extension (passenger side is the biggest pain but not hard) and a spark plug socket and go at it. You will have saved yourself about 120 - 140 bucks and you can use that money towards the fuel filter being changed, Labor is not cheap these mechanics/technicians have to make a living so you cant be mad at there prices in today's economy.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:22 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
OP check out a local mom and pop shop or even a independent owned muffler man. Local places usually do good work for a good price , Just Google up some shops and try to find some online reviews if you can. Changing the plugs I would recommend doing yourself , Grab some motor craft plugs, Anti seize , a Socket set with a good swivel extension (passenger side is the biggest pain but not hard) and a spark plug socket and go at it. You will have saved yourself about 120 - 140 bucks and you can use that money towards the fuel filter being changed, Labor is not cheap these mechanics/technicians have to make a living so you cant be mad at there prices in today's economy.
I'd suggest using a torque wrench, too.

If someone can change plugs, they can change their fuel filter. That probably requires a special AC/something line removal kit that can be found at any auto parts store. Just be expecting some gas to come out (enough to make a mess).

What do shops do to clean the fuel system? Run fuel injector cleaner?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
I'd suggest using a torque wrench, too.

If someone can change plugs, they can change their fuel filter. That probably requires a special AC/something line removal kit that can be found at any auto parts store. Just be expecting some gas to come out (enough to make a mess).

What do shops do to clean the fuel system? Run fuel injector cleaner?
Ye a torque wrench would be better but if were going for a budget tune up .... , Also depends if the OP lives in a Apartment / Condo type home they dont really like people working on there cars as far as getting underneath it goes. Or no jack / jack stands could be a issue also.

Quick Reply: tune up costs?!?