4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

home made shaker

Old 08-05-2009, 03:14 AM
mustangmikey88

Default home made shaker

so i am thinking this has been done before but why not. i took the scoop off my gt tonight to clean out from under it and i realized it has a little indention already in the hood so i thought, whats keeping me from cutting that out and making my scoop functional? i have an extra laying around so screw it if i mess it up i got another and i learn not to try it agin, so i went for it. i cut out the indention and took the honeycomb off the scoop. with a few other minor cuts its now functional all that is left to to is crate a channel from there to my air intake, and boom ram air i will have some pics up tomorrow it was to dark tonight.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Last time this was done, it ripped off at high speed. Hear tell it is still airborne out on HWY 5

I would recommend you find a nice way to add some anchors to it for increased security. If it comes off, it will likely damage the hood, so maybe a couple SS bolts in the center?

Jazzer
Old 08-05-2009, 11:03 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

now where did i put that picture of the big barge with your shipment of FAIL arriving...damnn.

1. You are wasting time if you think "ram air" is going to do anything other than dirty up your intake filter. Air in your intake travels right around 1300 ft/sec. Think you will be driving that fast anytime soon? Didnt think so.

2. Opening a hole like that will just create more drag, and funnel dirt/debris/water right into your previously well protected engine bay.

3. As Jazzer stated, it can/will rip off if not secured extremely well= bad news.

4. I like ice cream.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

oooooooooh vanilla ice cream
Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Thats my fav! Just plain ol' vanilla!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 AM
RipTide7
3rd Gear Member

Chocolate peanut butter FTW!!!

O right, the original topic...
I say secure it down really well and go for it! It docent sound like your doing this to gain HP, just to have something custom and unique. Could come out really cool, and if not, as you said you have another hood.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

i like turtles
Old 08-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Cookie Dough FTW !!!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
now where did i put that picture of the big barge with your shipment of FAIL arriving...damnn.

1. You are wasting time if you think "ram air" is going to do anything other than dirty up your intake filter. Air in your intake travels right around 1300 ft/sec. Think you will be driving that fast anytime soon? Didnt think so.

2. Opening a hole like that will just create more drag, and funnel dirt/debris/water right into your previously well protected engine bay.

3. As Jazzer stated, it can/will rip off if not secured extremely well= bad news.

4. I like ice cream.
Youre 100% correct.
ram air is a gimick or myth doesnt really work unless you make speeds of a jet.

FI is the only way to get HP by force air and compressing it which ram air doesnt really have any preasure at all.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:05 PM
mustangmikey88

i do love me some ice cream chocolate mostly, i am not doing this because i think im going to gain horse power lol i mean come on as he says its different and i have already thought about making something to hold it down better, and as for **** flying in i think what im going to do it take an air filter and put it in the opening at the hood ao act as a pre filter, any problems i run into im pretty sure i can solve as i have pretty decent shop to back me up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: home made shaker