4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

best non-DR tire??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:47 PM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

i just heard about Vredesteins from a random guy. they swear up and down that they are the best tires on the market. i personally love my Falken Azenis minus the fact that they dont last very long
Old 08-10-2009, 03:53 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I know a lot of Vette people like Vredestein. Idk much about them tho, because I haven't needed to go looking for tires... yet.

Falkens Azenis RT-615 are really good, great bang for the buck, my friend use to use them on is Subaru, but they can get greasy when they get hot and they dont last long and I think you may be limited on width at like 275 for 17" wheels.

Last edited by defconfire; 08-10-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

yea im not much of a autox guy but im always in the malibu mountains (does that count?) and they seem to hold really well. i like that they are really quiet so when i spin my tires a bit nobody notices but me hehe
Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
Best street tire? Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. I've NEVER come across a tire that sticks better than these for a street tire, but they are expensive as hell.

Second best for the rear? I'm going to go with Nitto 555R's and a good tire on the front.

And dude, if your looking to launch, you won't be doing that on a tire with anything more than a 200UTQG.

If your worried about finances, I wouldn't spend ANY money on your car. Spend it on your health, and when you can, then spend it on your car.

Werd on the GS D3s, but many sizes are now discontinued.

Screw Nitto and the NT05 for only molding 6/32 of tread...like an extra 2/32s woulda KILLED performance.

Treadwear ratings mean very little considering manufacturers get to assign them bassed on their observations....
Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 PM
tobyf

Best street tire? Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. I've NEVER come across a tire that sticks better than these for a street tire, but they are expensive as hell.

Second best for the rear? I'm going to go with Nitto 555R's and a good tire on the front.

And dude, if your looking to launch, you won't be doing that on a tire with anything more than a 200UTQG.

If your worried about finances, I wouldn't spend ANY money on your car. Spend it on your health, and when you can, then spend it on your car.
lol yeah i agree too.. i meant that it will be "limiting" my extra money. plus the car is my DD till that evil white stuff falls out of the sky. my truck is built out of rust and gets about 13-15 mpg and the mustang hit a nail in the rear (had it pluged and patched but still dont trust it) and the Fronts are starting to look like slicks. so when it rains go like 50 mph on the highway and i'm sure that is driving the other ppl crazy. blah blah blah anyway yeah i am getting the rear rebuilt pretty soon i think too so its just that i didnt want to spent over 150-170 a tire and i am putting somthin sticky on a light rim after the rear is done. 200-240 per tire would have been too much for me right now.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 PM
atwood1
1st Gear Member

potenza re760 sports
Old 08-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Best street tire? Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. I've NEVER come across a tire that sticks better than these for a street tire, but they are expensive as hell..."

Originally Posted by defconfire
ABSOLUTELY! I 100% agree w/ that! Those are such fantastic tires they grip amazingly in all conditions both laterally an in a straight line. Only issue is the price, but it is well worth it. I wouldn't have gone w/ any other tire on my car.
I cannot disagree more, sorry!

I ran this tire and when worn out, immediately to the Michelin PS2. This was very much impressed and a FAR better tire... at least in the corner, as I don't launch. I wrote a review on them a couple years back and stickin' to it

Jazzer
Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by POISND U
Werd on the GS D3s, but many sizes are now discontinued.

Screw Nitto and the NT05 for only molding 6/32 of tread...like an extra 2/32s woulda KILLED performance.

Treadwear ratings mean very little considering manufacturers get to assign them bassed on their observations....

I've started to notice this, however there are a few exceptions.

My BFG's didn't last nearly long enough, however the GS-D3's lasted at least 25k miles, with only a difference of 80 in the UTGQ, that's a pretty big discrepancy.

The Nitto's a pretty good, and most performance tires are rated pretty accurately, especially the comp. tires such as Hoosiers and what not.

I thought for a while that they had stopped the GS-D3's all together, but alot of sites now carry them again, so I guess it's only select sizes that they don't make anymore.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Id really like to try a set of NT05's out cus they seem like a pretty good tire design. And their website says that they have 7.2/32 of tread depth so i dont think thats too aweful.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:03 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I cannot disagree more, sorry!

I ran this tire and when worn out, immediately to the Michelin PS2. This was very much impressed and a FAR better tire... at least in the corner, as I don't launch. I wrote a review on them a couple years back and stickin' to it

Jazzer

they don't make em in 315/35/17's. so you can dissagree all you'd like.

I'm never spending 400-500/tire on two tires

Quick Reply: best non-DR tire??