4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

SCT MAF in a 3" pipe and meth injection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 05:43 AM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Default SCT MAF in a 3" pipe and meth injection?

Could I put my MAF in a 3" pipe from the 4" housing and still drive to the tuners?

Also I'm considering removing my SC and running water/meth injection as my only source of intake cooling. I want to free up as much restriction as possible and raise my octane at the same time. So I would need to put the bypass, MAF, injection nozzle, and the oat sensor all in the pipe between the head unit and throttle body. I heard if the bypass is to close to the the MAF it can cause drivability issue. How far past the MAF is to close to put the injection nozzle and how far in front of the iat sensor does it need to be for it to get an accurate reading. Also since I run a TFS intake with the oval TB upper it shortens the length between the SC and TB.

Thanks for any help, or opinions.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

My piping is 3" and my MAF is 4". You just have to get a silicone reducer coupling.

I personally don't like the idea of solely running meth. I would look into doing a compound setup with your intercooler (or possibly a more efficient unit if you're looking to reduce restriction) and then spray meth into the intake piping.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jivepepper
Could I put my MAF in a 3" pipe from the 4" housing and still drive to the tuners?

Also I'm considering removing my SC and running water/meth injection as my only source of intake cooling. I want to free up as much restriction as possible and raise my octane at the same time. So I would need to put the bypass, MAF, injection nozzle, and the oat sensor all in the pipe between the head unit and throttle body. I heard if the bypass is to close to the the MAF it can cause drivability issue. How far past the MAF is to close to put the injection nozzle and how far in front of the iat sensor does it need to be for it to get an accurate reading. Also since I run a TFS intake with the oval TB upper it shortens the length between the SC and TB.

Thanks for any help, or opinions.
Putting the MAF in a 3 inch pipe is going to reduce is capacity by a large amount.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:02 PM
jivepepper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
My piping is 3" and my MAF is 4". You just have to get a silicone reducer coupling.

I personally don't like the idea of solely running meth. I would look into doing a compound setup with your intercooler (or possibly a more efficient unit if you're looking to reduce restriction) and then spray meth into the intake piping.
I arleady have a reducer coupler once I ran some 4" pipe in front and after the maf.

Originally Posted by Stevecooper
Putting the MAF in a 3 inch pipe is going to reduce is capacity by a large amount.
True but I do have the mafia on a low setting.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

I arleady have a reducer coupler once I ran some 4" pipe in front and after the maf.

True but I do have the mafia on a low setting.
Its there any reason why you can't run a 4" pipe?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:07 PM
mustangchris09
2nd Gear Member

dont do the meth, i have heard and seen bad things happen to these cars with meth kits. Its up to you though, not going to be your dad here.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangchris09
dont do the meth, i have heard and seen bad things happen to these cars with meth kits. Its up to you though, not going to be your dad here.
Care to elaborate on that statement at all?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:33 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Also I'm considering removing my SC and running water/meth injection as my only source of intake cooling.
You mean intercooler???
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
You mean intercooler???
LOL I had to read that a few times too.

I have heard people having problems with the snow kits, with pump failures and things of that nature. I'm assuming that's where this guy is getting this from...

I would love to run meth but not really all that necessary with my setup/power level... maybe in the future.

Oh and OP are you running a blow-thru or draw-thru system?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Jive,
Only use the meth to compliment the air to air setup you are running, don't dump the intercooler for meth

Quick Reply: SCT MAF in a 3" pipe and meth injection?