4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Starting the swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:11 AM
streetdemon

Default Starting the swap

hi guys, a few months back i posted that i bought a wrecked '00 GT and now im finally starting to rip my car apart and replace parts i've got a few things done already.

here's the car i was ripping the goodies off of it only had a front right collision all for 2500.

here's some of my car and it being ripped apart

earlier yesterday

i was going to rip the carpet/dash out and replace the harness there but my father (30 year exp master mechanic) and i go looking at the harness thats already in the floor and it happens to be identical to the one i pulled out of the GT aside from the GT having the mach system and plugs for the extra amps, the wire colors/locations are the same on each plug so we decided to keep the harness that's in the floor/dash, however the harness leading from the right fender into the engine bay will need to be replaced so if it ends up working that saves a huge hassle.

this is from yesterday also when i was working on taking the vacuum booster out

this is from last night i finally got the pedals from the GT installed and the hydroboost, i also noticed there are plugs in my existing harness for the clutch safety switch =D

i took this after i installed the GT gauge cluster, i used the panel from the GT because it was black and my original panel was ****ty looking the previous owner scratched it all up

and thats about it so far, im pulling the engine/tranny out today and the rear-end most likely tomorrow!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Good luck, keep us updated.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:49 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Good find! Keep us updated... I always enjoy reading swap/build threads.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:02 AM
streetdemon

yeah the harness seems to be the same inside he car, it even has the plugs for the ABS just sitting there not used, i was pretty amazed about that since it means i dont have to tear the dash out...my worst nightmare, also i'll problably have it running in another week from now, i have to worry about pats because i dont have the keys to the GT, however i called a locksmith here and instead of paying 200+ for ford to make me new keys + program them i can pay the locksmith 100 and he'll reprogram both sets of keys that i have for my car + the keypads.

oh and did i also mention i have a zex nitrous kit sitting around waiting to be installed, cant wait i just hope when all is said and done she fires up
Old 09-08-2009, 09:39 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I noticed the donor car doesn't have a rear bumper... are you planning on having that painted and put on your car?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:52 AM
streetdemon

im going to make the cut outs on my existing bumper for the exhaust, i bought the car from a junk yard so they took off interior related items and some exterior stuff, pkus my car needs some body work to take a few mostly unnoticable dents out a few dents on the top and some real small dings in the door, right now im just focused on getting it running and when i get the money i'll get a new rear bumper and have the cars body work done then repainted
Old 09-17-2009, 03:40 PM
streetdemon

hey just and update finally removed the V6

i've also got some interesting things to share

the K-member in a base coupe is the same as one in a gt the only difference that we could see were the front springs we measured the k-member against the one that was taken out of the GT same measurements so that means i can keep my k-member and just change the front sway-bar

so far everything inside of the car wire related aside from the engine harness seems to be the same so this is pretty much the simplest swap ever

i dunno why everyone seems to say you needs ALL of the wiring harness + all this other stuff off the GT to make it work all of the interior wiring is the same on my 2000 model so far i've barely had to replace a thing inside of the car aside from the pedals and gauge cluster

when i first attempted this i thought it was going to be hard but its actually a piece of cake lol

EDIT: sorry for the pics they are rotated wrong i'll fix it later

Last edited by streetdemon; 09-17-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

nice, resell your v6 engine and trans, and sell the parts car, and you should have made it out fairly cheaply
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Smokeybear001

Lookin good, keep us up to date
Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

make sure you swap over the driveshaft and rear end also, unless you've atleast beefed up your 7.5" donno wut you've got going on right now.

have you considered buying some longtubes or a tubular K-member (cheap and will let you install longtubes without having to do anything hard down the road) now while your car is easy to work on? it would be stupid easy to throw some longtubes on that car now rather than decide to in the future and have to tear apart the front end again.

like said, selling your v6 stuff and the parts car when your done with it you should be able to come out of this having spent not too much money.

Quick Reply: Starting the swap