4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New member, considering a 96-98 GT, would like some input

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:02 PM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Default New member, considering a 96-98 GT, would like some input

Hey everyone. New member, you can check out my intro here if you'd like: https://mustangforums.com/forum/new-...from-ohio.html

On to the point - I've always loved the Mustang, particularly the 96-98 models. Can't explain exactly what it is, but for just your run-of-the-mill GT, 96-98 is my favorite. So, in the last couple weeks, I've started to kind of peruse Autotrader and craigslist, keeping an eye out for a decent GT. My main requirement is that it HAS to be a 5-speed coupe, preferably mostly stock, in decent condition overall, doesn't have to be perfect (I wouldn't expect an 11-13 year old car to be). I'm not looking for a daily driver, just a 'pleasure' car for when I want to leave the truck home and have some fun, but don't want to suit up and ride my sportbike (or need more capacity than the bike has, haha). The ultimate goal will be to fix up any problems, do some minor engine upgrades at first, get the suspension to a good point for decent handling, then when the engine is worn out, do a full rebuild with mild upgrades to work toward a mild supercharged setup. If I make a purchase, it'll be cash, but I don't want to spend more than $5,000, preferably keeping it closer to $4,000. I've found quite a few options, but usually they're autos, have had major repairs, are convertibles, or are just in rough shape.

What's a reasonable mileage range I should consider? What I've seen ranges from the low 80s to over 200k miles, but most have had over 125k, which makes me a bit leary. Of course, it's all about the maintenance, but with used, especially sports cars, it's impossible to be sure. I'm gonna spend some time searching on here to see if there are any early mod-motor specific items I need to be wary of.

Right now, a car that I'm conversing with the owner over is a 96 GT with 135k. It's a 5-speed coupe, black with black leather, all the options, 17" 5-spokes, new brakes all around, new plugs/wires, and is said to be stock except for a catless H-pipe. The owner is supposed to be sending me pics soon, so long as what he's telling me is true, it sounds like it's in decent condition, though definitely not perfect. There's an issue with the parking brake and it's not connected (I know there was a recall, not sure if that's the issue or not), the cruise control doesn't work (hopefully just a fuse or something of the sort), the ventilation only blows out of the foot and defroster vents (vacuum issue?), and the underbody and trunk lid have some minor rusting. He sent me the Carfax, which shows that the car lived in New York most of its life (hence some rust), he is the 4th owner, and Carfax reports no issues or inconsistencies. Naturally, maintenance records are virtually non-existant, so a thorough combing would be necessary. The leather is in decent shape with no tears.
He's asking $3400, which is in-line with what KBB says the car should be worth in 'Good' condition. Would you consider this to be a good candidate, assuming the pics concur with the description? The car is in Toledo, approximately 150 miles north of me, so it would be a bit of a commitment for me to go take a look at it, certainly more than a brief trip to just check it out, and would make it harder for me to take it to a mechanic for an inspection.

Sorry for the huge thread, thank you if you took the time to read through it, appreciate any input!

Last edited by nagata; 09-30-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 AM
casper_stang

dude i'm not gonna read all that but all i can tell ya is not to get a 96-98 unless you're gonna do the PI heads swap, otherwise go with a 5.0 or a new edge you wont regret it
Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

sounds like a good deal but commuting all the way there is an issue because there are no mechanics you know. It'll be a risk. Driving it for alittle while would be your best bet. A few guns here and there but most of all getting a feel of it. I think listening to an engine just fire up says alot, but driving it will help you make your decision.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 AM
casper_stang

Originally Posted by nascrchi
sounds like a good deal but commuting all the way there is an issue because there are no mechanics you know. It'll be a risk. Driving it for alittle while would be your best bet. A few guns here and there but most of all getting a feel of it. I think listening to an engine just fire up says alot, but driving it will help you make your decision.
i'd do a compression check on the engine, that procedure will let you know what kind of life the engine had throughtout its ownerships. but thats just me
Old 10-01-2009, 07:28 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I got bored reading your post but I think I read enough to make a comment
If you like the 96/98 body style get a Cobra for that year. You don't want to get a stock NPI GT from 96/98 go with the Cobra for the 4V/Better Brakes/Better looks or get one that has had the PI swap. If you don't know what a PI swap is it is swapping the heads and intake from a 99 up 4.6 GT. The 96/98 Heads and intake are junk!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:08 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by BraMas
I got bored reading your post but I think I read enough to make a comment
If you like the 96/98 body style get a Cobra for that year. You don't want to get a stock NPI GT from 96/98 go with the Cobra for the 4V/Better Brakes/Better looks or get one that has had the PI swap. If you don't know what a PI swap is it is swapping the heads and intake from a 99 up 4.6 GT. The 96/98 Heads and intake are junk!
What he said^
Old 10-01-2009, 08:20 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
What he said^
What they said.... no questions asked duder.... I like to play a fun game called 'kick myself in the *** every morning of my life for not buying a cobra when I had the chance'. Unless you would also like to play this game... just buy a cobra.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:13 AM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Thank you for all the input! I knew the 96-98 4.6 needed some breathing improvement, but didn't realize they were so poorly viewed. I'm not against doing a heads/intake swap eventually, in fact that would be part of my 'grand plan' if you can call it that. I'm actually supposed to be going to see a more local 98 GT, with 92k miles & mostly stock, this evening. He's asking $4600, and it's got a few blemishes, so he should be willing to negotiate. But, given what I'm reading here, I guess I'm now wondering if I should even look at it. Time to research the PI swap a bit.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:22 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Well with a PI swap they're not complete turds... but eventually you're going to wake up one day and go.... "why didn't I just buy a cobra". Who knows... maybe you're not sick in the head like the rest of us, and you'll be perfectly happy with the GT. You never know
Old 10-01-2009, 10:55 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Don't get us wrong we are just giving you are opinions if you feel you are getting a good deal on a GT get it But I promise one day you will wish you had gotten a Cobra especially when you pull up to a light and a Grand Am blows your doors off. The only way I would ever buy another 96/98 GT is if it had no engine or a blown engine that way I can put a real engine in the car. If I never drive another NPI GT in my life I will be a happy man.

Quick Reply: New member, considering a 96-98 GT, would like some input