4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

steering column bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:43 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Default steering column bearing

When i was researching my steering wheel slop i noticed that people were saying that your bearing in the firewall can come loose and fall out a bit and make the steering feel more loose.

below is picture that shows a "close" shot of it, i can't tell if its fallen out wards a bit or is fine. I'm still trying to locate the steering wheel slop... i still have to check the inner tie rods.

what do you guys think???
Old 10-04-2009, 09:37 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Well, from that pic- your steering joint is still attached- lol. It could have some play in it. Grab both ends and see if you can twist it.

I would also check the top steering shaft bearing- located behind the steering wheel. This is the tilt column from a S197.

Often times, there's a slip joint further down the steering shaft. That's what usually will wear first- common on the 1/2 ton trucks after 150k miles.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:06 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

thanks, i'll have to check that too. im sick of this highway wander i get while driving over 55

anymore comments?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

I'd look at the tie rods first. Just jack up a wheel, and grab the tire on each side (3 and 9 o'clock) and wiggle it back and forth. If it has some play in it, stick your head behind there (it's easier if you have a second person) and see where the play is. If the outer tie rod is bad, the boot where it bolts to the steering knuckle will move around. If it's the inner, you'll see it move where it goes into the rack.

Also check the pinch bolt where the steering shaft slides onto the rack. If it's loose it'll cause a loose steering feel. Just crawl under there and have someone else move the wheel back and forth a bit. If it moves a bit before turning the shaft on the rack, you may need to tighten the bolt. There shouldn't be any play at all in it. If it's really bad you might even be able to move it with your hand on the shaft itself.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:12 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xemeth
I'd look at the tie rods first. Just jack up a wheel, and grab the tire on each side (3 and 9 o'clock) and wiggle it back and forth. If it has some play in it, stick your head behind there (it's easier if you have a second person) and see where the play is. If the outer tie rod is bad, the boot where it bolts to the steering knuckle will move around. If it's the inner, you'll see it move where it goes into the rack.

Also check the pinch bolt where the steering shaft slides onto the rack. If it's loose it'll cause a loose steering feel. Just crawl under there and have someone else move the wheel back and forth a bit. If it moves a bit before turning the shaft on the rack, you may need to tighten the bolt. There shouldn't be any play at all in it. If it's really bad you might even be able to move it with your hand on the shaft itself.
Yep try this. Also, if the bushings and joints all check out, you can take the wheels off, disconnect the tie-rod end from the spindle, and turn them each in one or two revolutions. This will slightly increase your toe-in and get rid of the play in the steering you have. I did this last weekend during the longtube install because I also had too much play in the steering on the highway (for my liking at least - some people like it). It did the trick for me. Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:42 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

thanks everyone for your ideas, i'll check this out this coming up weekend. I also have to go the drive gear/speedo gear swap and weld in the mm flsfc's. should be a fun weekend.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

When mine fell out.. it was out... try to feel around so you can get an idea of how thick the bushing is, the you can sort of guestimate if the bushing is centered in the firewall.

But when mine fell out I had horrible play in the steering wheel... when I jammed it back in there, it tightened everything back up.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Black_knight_Jon

Default hey i have same problem any body know what i should do..?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This last week my heater core on my 98 mustang gt went out and you have to pull the whole dash and drop the steering column, everything with the heater went fine... dash reinstalled no leaks great... but when i went to put the steering column back up a little plastic race with little needle bearings had came halfway of where the steering shaft goes through the firewall, i tried to put it back in and it fell to pieces, ive talked to ford and their are three little bearings, bushing (whatever u want to call them ive also heard them called body bearings) back in there and i can get the parts but i just dont know what is involved with getting this deal fixed right and done and over with... Anybody who has done this before any tech advice would be greatly apprieciated, and is it safe to drive the car like this... also another little round rubber peice came out from where the steering shaft comes out from the fire wall on the motor side... this was two days ago now ive been watching it and now a plastic sleeve is coming out on the motor side and inside the car as well... what do i do and how big of a safety issue is this?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 PM
coop7
3rd Gear Member

I have a similar problem. I'm gonna check the pinch bolt to see if that's where it is. The slack seems to be between the rack and wheel. There's about an inch or so of play, but the steering shaft moves with the wheel, the movement just isn't transferred to the rack.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Maybe start your own thread? Digging up a 3 yr old thread with your own problem is going to make it so yours is ignored and people try to fix the OP problem which I'm sure he has fixed.
Anyway if the rack isn't responding to the shaft than obviously the problem is in the rack

Quick Reply: steering column bearing