4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How to: Install HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:55 PM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IRSmart
care to elaborate on that? they either change voltage or amperage going through the bulb, i just can't remember which. either way, the result is that the arc moves in an uncontroled manner to "move" the light source, creating a high beam effect. unless you get an even worse kit, the kind that has 2 HID bulbs bashed together to fit in a housing not meant for it.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
My HID kit does not change any amperage when changing from high to low beam in any way, it just moves the bulb back a small bit to have the light redirect at a slightly different level. That is the way they work for almost every kit I have ever heard of and researched for the dual beam style.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:17 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Retrosolutions
-came with no instructions
-came with no proper mating connector to the stock wiring it appears as well
-also, it should be noted that it is kit comprised of a 50w ballast and 35w bulbs, its not really a 55w kit and will run hotter, not to mention have a shorter life span

nice write up on the install though
I wish you would have seen my thread about a week or two ago asking about what HID kit to go with. I like the way your kit looks.

Halo lights look reduculous on a new edge. That's why I don't run them and will never run them on my car.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IRSmart
trust me, you will be hard pressed to find someone more well-versed on the operation of HIDs than myself, so i would suggest doing some more research on a person's postings about such a topic before claiming that he is not informed.
I find that very hard to believe, because your statement before regarding a change in amperage was completely inaccurate. So well versed you may think you are what you are saying was in fact wrong. If you knew you wouldn't have posted that, and then a reference to another website that does accurately describe function but not in the manner you described. Either you had no idea what you were talking about, or you didn't read what you quoted closely enough to understand it, or both.

And yes, dual arc bulbs exist, however just like bulbs with piggy-backed halogen bulbs, they refract the low beam output making the low beam output even worse.

There are HID experts on this site, and we get a lot of questions everyday that have no basis in reality, all myths perpetuated by those that talk quite frankly out of their rear ends. So yes, when incorrect information surfaces we will take aim to correct it before accepted as "fact."
Old 10-11-2009, 09:18 PM
UmX
3rd Gear Member

most hid kits come with less work then those anyways. every kit i bought.. Plug in the stock harness to the ballist> ballist to bulbs and bulb goes into the headlight ur done. imo u dont really need dual beam hids. low beam are bright enough anyways..
Old 10-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UmX
most hid kits come with less work then those anyways. every kit i bought.. Plug in the stock harness to the ballist> ballist to bulbs and bulb goes into the headlight ur done. imo u dont really need dual beam hids. low beam are bright enough anyways..
The low beam mustang lamps run off PWM (pulsed 12vdc ), so a kit with direct plug and play operation will result in the lights not working properly (flickering or shutting off) or premature end to the ballast lifespan.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 PM
UmX
3rd Gear Member

guess i have good luck.. been using for mine for a good 2 years with out issues. other then the bulbs support in side cracked.. still worked.. these roads out here are effing terrible.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UmX
guess i have good luck.. been using for mine for a good 2 years with out issues. other then the bulbs support in side cracked.. still worked.. these roads out here are effing terrible.
I'm sorry, my apologies, your model year is before the PWM. Only the 05+ using H13 function in that manner. Yours still gets a constant 12v+
Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 PM
UmX
3rd Gear Member

I'm sorry, my apologies, your model year is before the PWM. Only the 05+ using H13 function in that manner. Yours still gets a constant 12v+
np.. wasnt bad mouthing ur product.. was just saying how some of the kits come.. ya i was amazed in general my kits have last 2 years seeing the stress there under lol
Old 10-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UmX
np.. wasnt bad mouthing ur product.. was just saying how some of the kits come.. ya i was amazed in general my kits have last 2 years seeing the stress there under lol
I know you weren't, but I mis-spoke (or mis-typed rather) and it needed to be corrected to prevent confusion.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

I find that very hard to believe, because your statement before regarding a change in amperage was completely inaccurate. So well versed you may think you are what you are saying was in fact wrong. If you knew you wouldn't have posted that, and then a reference to another website that does accurately describe function but not in the manner you described. Either you had no idea what you were talking about, or you didn't read what you quoted closely enough to understand it, or both.

And yes, dual arc bulbs exist, however just like bulbs with piggy-backed halogen bulbs, they refract the low beam output making the low beam output even worse.

There are HID experts on this site, and we get a lot of questions everyday that have no basis in reality, all myths perpetuated by those that talk quite frankly out of their rear ends. So yes, when incorrect information surfaces we will take aim to correct it before accepted as "fact."
what i was trying to say was poorly worded. i knew what i was trying to get across, but couldn't find the right words, which is why i posted the link.

i don't really want to get into an e-pissing match with anyone, just like people to be informed. it seems that a lot of people just throw these things on without really knowing what it is they're doing to themselves and to other drivers. case in point the post asking why they're bad. in any event, no hard feelings towards anyone