4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is it the car or is it the driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:17 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Default Is it the car or is it the driver?

Just thought I'd let you in on a little observation I made at the track today. As some of you know I recently changed the clutch, transmission as well as the shifter in recent weeks. As a result I had to break things in on the way to the NMRA finals. At the finals I was very gentle (needed to make the 2.5 hour drive home) on the new set-up and ran 11.80's in the 1/4 and 7.60's 1/8 mile times.

So today at the local 1/8 I decided to step up the driving a bit and lean on the new combo hoping for a new best.
First pass off the street I launched at 4500 and more aggressively shifted while still lifting on each shift. Results was a 7.57@94 with a 1.64 60'. Knowing the car had more in it I made one more pass without changes to verify things and with the same 4500 launch ran a 7.56@94 with a slightly better 1.62 60'.
Since the track seemed to be coming around, I raised the launch to 5000 and although still lift shifting ran a 7.47@94 with a 1.58 60', good for a new season's best E.T.
For the last pass of the day I stuck with the 5000 launch but powershifted every gear and was rewarded with a another new best of 7.38@93 and a 1.57 60'. All these were ran with bottle pressure right on 1000psi with steady air temps. The only change was more aggressive driving......something a lot of people never figure out. lol
Old 10-25-2009, 12:59 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

wow.. interesting...

i never actually believed that powershifting actually gets you better times/makes you quicker... i still dont know if i do believe that...but great times!!

congrats on the new best...and than the next new best =P

1.5 60" must feel ridiculous
Old 10-25-2009, 01:02 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

oh.. and i think its the driver
Old 10-25-2009, 02:40 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
wow.. interesting...

i never actually believed that powershifting actually gets you better times/makes you quicker... i still dont know if i do believe that...but great times!!

Think about it. When you powershift you are basically shifting the car as fast as it can be shifter. Because of this, the car is damn near constantly changing speed, rather than experiencing negative acceleration from speedshifting.

Powershifting is the closest thing you can get to a constant acceleration.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:32 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Good job, what was your new driveline setup???
Old 10-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

even just shifting fast without power shifting. 4 shifts (in 1/4 at least)... say a "bad" driver is at 1/2 a second shifts thats a lot of time the car could be accelerating.

hp- if you were ever in the car with someone whos power shifting good and right, you would feel the difference.

jay, you need to get a tripod and 2 tie downs and set up a cam in your back seat (or if you wana spend the money get a mount for your rear window) so we can get some in car shots. plus you can go frame by frame and see how fast your shifts are and if your getting better.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:08 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220

Thanks, with a 1.5 that 1-2 shift come very fast while the nose of the car is still at full extension. It takes some getting used too. lol

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Think about it. When you powershift you are basically shifting the car as fast as it can be shifter. Because of this, the car is damn near constantly changing speed, rather than experiencing negative acceleration from speedshifting.

Powershifting is the closest thing you can get to a constant acceleration.
Exactly, same reason the old GM Powerglides work so well on high horsepower cars.

Originally Posted by teej281
Good job, what was your new driveline setup???
Promotion Super King Cobra clutch, NCR built T-45, carbon syncros, billet 3-4 shift fork, billet shift keys, HD springs, bronze shift fork pads etc. MGW orange handle shifter. Everything worked great except I pulled the MGW and put my old UPR shifter back in. I never liked the feel of the MGW and was very comfortable with the UPR after having it 7 years.

Originally Posted by Kmelfi11
even just shifting fast without power shifting. 4 shifts (in 1/4 at least)... say a "bad" driver is at 1/2 a second shifts thats a lot of time the car could be accelerating.

hp- if you were ever in the car with someone whos power shifting good and right, you would feel the difference.

jay, you need to get a tripod and 2 tie downs and set up a cam in your back seat (or if you wana spend the money get a mount for your rear window) so we can get some in car shots. plus you can go frame by frame and see how fast your shifts are and if your getting better.
I'd like to get the in-car cam thing going for next year. A guy over one Modded Mustangs makes a nice seat mount I've been looking at.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Kmelfi11
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayC
I'd like to get the in-car cam thing going for next year. A guy over one Modded Mustangs makes a nice seat mount I've been looking at.
Have a link to it? they have the suction cups with a camera mount too, if you get one of those you could put that thing just about anywhere in the car for different shots. heres a site that has a bunch.

http://www.filmtools.com/succupmoun.html
Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kmelfi11
Have a link to it? they have the suction cups with a camera mount too, if you get one of those you could put that thing just about anywhere in the car for different shots. heres a site that has a bunch.

http://www.filmtools.com/succupmoun.html
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...era-mount.html
Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

you need to come drive my old turd.

Quick Reply: Is it the car or is it the driver?