4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

deciding on lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:48 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Default deciding on lowering springs

i've decided to go with eibach because i've had success with them before, but they have 3 versions i'm debating between:

3510.140 - Pro Kit, 94-04 V8 coupe, 1.5" front, 1.5" rear
i like this kit because it has an average drop, not too much where i'll rub on my tires, but not too little either. on the other hand, these are not for a vert, so because my car is heavier, will these provide more of a drop than advertised?

3530.14 - Pro Kit, 94-04 v8 convertible, 1.3" front, 1.4" rear
obviously this is meant for a convertible, which i have, but i don't like that it doesn't give as much of a drop. are they just stiffer due to the added weight of the car, or are the mounts different (I doubt it highly)?

4.1035 - Sportline, 94-04 v8 coupe, 2.0" front, 1.8" rear
i like these because they are the same price as the other kits and provide more of a drop. problem is, i have 10.5" rear wheels with 315/35ZR17 tires. will this drop cause rubbing? and like the first kit, because i have a vert, will this cause me to lower even more, causing tire rub?

help!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Drag5.0mustang
2nd Gear Member

Sportline.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Get the ones made for your model if you decide not to go with the sportlines. Don't forget you will need CC plates if you go sportline.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:46 PM
v braaten
1st Gear Member

It's not just about the drop. Get a spring rate for your intended, majority use.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I recommend you NOT go for the Sportlines.

That much drop is detrimental to geometry of the front suspension and requires some aftermarket items to properly correct it. You are best to run the convertable set as your car is heavier than the coupe and will NOT sit where the numbers are indicated.

I would not expect any rubbing on the tires/wheels you mentioned. May be a touch, but nothing to worry about. I recommend you pic up some good LCA's while you are there and can rid yourself of those darn quad-shocks at the same time. You will improve your cornering and should be a nice improvement over your current state.

Read up on the Official Suspension Guide and see what I mean by "good" LCA's.

Jazzer... ever a pimpin'
Old 11-20-2009, 10:16 PM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

Hey bud, ever consider Vogtland Sport springs for your convertable? They advertise 1.6 drop. My sig picture is only 2 days after springs were installed. Waiting to post more pics after they have settled. Great springs and cheaper than Eibach.

Just my .02
Old 11-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

The Sportlines ride fine, but like Jazzer said you will need c/c plates and bumpsteer kit (tie-rod ends). The only thing that sucks about Sportlines is having to pass over speed bumps at a 45 degree angle to avoid scraping your midpipe and/ or catback.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ he he

You pepes have NO IDEA what low is, drive my car and you will know. Hell, I bottom out on a book of matches

Jazzer
Old 11-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Eibach Pro-Kit!! ...Have them on the DSG & the look is great!
Old 11-21-2009, 08:41 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

so the general consensous is the pro kit. i already have a set of CC plates (UPR, not installed). someone on corral told me that with such a minor drop that the pro kit has, i will not need new struts because the OEMs can handle the drop. is this true? i have 100,000 miles (almost to the number) on what i assume to be the original struts. if i'm going to do the suspension, i should get new ones, and i should upgrade them because of the drop, correct? are the tokio's much cheaper than the bilsteins?

Quick Reply: deciding on lowering springs