4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

"Prepping & Cost" of Kenne Bell 2.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:29 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

BAP not gonna work on a return style fuel system
Old 11-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96svtC0BRA
Thanks tim you really helped me out there. I guess what i would end up doing is additive mixtures and get it down to a science, i just need to stop being lazy. This is just a street fun car so i beleive with 400+ WHP and a 4.10 gear ratio this car will run like a rocketship.

Now when you spoke of Turbo systems i was previously reading a little bit about them and it seemed to assure little to no boost lag i'd have to go twin-turbo.. Now if this would be less costly, and still hit my 400+ desire well why not? Im trying to make the safest, but cheapest way there WITHOUT the motor scattering. What about a blower?..

thanks for you input guys because i am VERY serious about this install! As far as swingin' the wrench goes i would definedly do it at my shop. just trailer the car to a (different) tuning shop to have everything fine tuned.
No problem, thats what we are here for.
Like i said, I really dont think having to add octane booster every fillup would be that bad. As long as you have it down to a science, it would be super easy.
I highly recomend you think twice about 4.10 gears and a kb.....
I wouldnt do anything past 3.73's. I had 3.90's with my 2.1l and 1st gear was absolutely useless. The kb makes power instantly in the low rpm band and with those gears it is quite a challenge to not spin the tires on a lauch or even a slow roll. Even 2nd was tricky.
And the down side of a taller gear with the kb is the shortness of the gears because of the rpm's sky rocketing so fast. I hated it..... It felt like as soon as i had the pedal to the floor, .5 sec later and i was shifting to the next gear and so on. No real "good" boost time.

You wouldnt need twins. You would need a correctly sized single turbo. However, they are not cheaper than a kb...
BTW, cheap and safe should never be in the same sentence.
Not quite sure what you mean " what about a blower?"... Blower, is just another term for a supercharger. The kb is called a blower for example.

Originally Posted by teej281
I thought someone on here posted that its a bad idea to run meth on a twin screw blower...cus that was my suggestion to mrgreystang i think and someone shot that down real quick. just run 6lbs and a 50-75 shot of nitrous to keep everything cool.
I have heard the same from a couple ppl and it always turns out that the guy who "ruined" his kb was running straight meth. The most i would run would be a 50/50 or maybe a 40/60 water/meth ratio. There are quite a few ppl on modularfords.com who are running 50/50 and a kb and have been for years without problems.
There have been a billion rumors about this though.... KB says its fine. I thought about it for a while but i dont think i will have to. And if it turns out that i will or need to, then i'll do it. Just not going to do it until i have to.
I'll try and find the link i had read awhile back. They had alot of good info on the whole meth vs kb argument.

Last edited by Tim99GT; 11-30-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
BAP not gonna work on a return style fuel system
????? not understanding where this is comming from...
Old 11-30-2009, 02:47 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
????? not understanding where this is comming from...
96-97 have gerotor pumps that rely on steady 12v source and by increasing voltage like in a 99+ returnless style you are gonna burn it up. 98 is return style and the voltage can be increased (much like the 99+, which is why they call the 98 the "bastard child") but you are not gonna get alot more out of a stock pump as an aftermarket 190lph+ specifically for the 98 is no longer made

Last edited by lizzyfan; 11-30-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

96-97 have gerotor pumps that rely on steady 12v source and by increasing voltage like in a 99+ returnless style you are gonna burn it up. 98 is return style and the voltage can be increased 9much like the 99+, which is why they call the 98 the "bastard child") but you are not gonna get alot more out of a stock pump as an aftermarket 190lph+ specifically for the 98 is no longer made
I did not know that.... Good stuff lizzy. I knew you were around here for a reason
So since he has a 96, he has a returnless system with the sh1tty pumps. So he should upgrade then. I would assume that the pumps from a 99+ will fit in his basket right? Should be the same wiring. then he could run the BAP. Stock pumps would be easy to come by too given thats really the only thing he needs. No real reason to upgrade to focus/gt pumps.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:59 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I did not know that.... Good stuff lizzy. I knew you were around here for a reason
So since he has a 96, he has a returnless system with the sh1tty pumps. So he should upgrade then. I would assume that the pumps from a 99+ will fit in his basket right? Should be the same wiring. then he could run the BAP. Stock pumps would be easy to come by too given thats really the only thing he needs. No real reason to upgrade to focus/gt pumps.
All he really needs is a 255lph in-tank (return style) and 42lb injectors and should be fine on a stock short block
Old 11-30-2009, 03:00 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

So since he has a 96, he has a returnless system
Return style is up to 98, 99+ goes returnless

Also as a side note: Jim Bell is NOT a fan of meth injection

Last edited by lizzyfan; 11-30-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Return style is up to 98, 99+ goes returnless

Also as a side note: Jim Bell is NOT a fan of meth injection
Ok, i see. I thought you had said that 98 was the "bastard child" cuz they went to the return style. I see now what you mean.

up to 98 was return style, but the 98 had the pump that you could add a BAP to. Until then(98) a BAP would just burn the pump up. 99+ went return less yada yada.

I'm almost positive i read a post from KB saying it was fine and that the rotors will not corrode... I'll try and find it for ya
Old 11-30-2009, 03:22 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I'm almost positive i read a post from KB saying it was fine and that the rotors will not corrode... I'll try and find it for ya
I have seen it and the idea was that if you cranked up the voltage once in a while it would cause no long term damage but unfortunately it will!

Here is a good read for ya: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6-...l-systems.html

Sorry to the O/P!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

I completely believe you about the BAP on his pump thing...
I was talking about water/meth injection on the kb in the line you quoted....

Quick Reply: "Prepping & Cost" of Kenne Bell 2.1