4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

"Prepping & Cost" of Kenne Bell 2.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:36 AM
96svtC0BRA

Thumbs down "Prepping & Cost" of Kenne Bell 2.1

Hello. I decided that this week my IMRC's are coming out to be cleaned, and a Kenne Bell SC is going to be installed by spring. I understand the boost-a-pump and how it says injector change is NOT needed which i'd like to hear from someone else that this is true. Mainly because my stock ones will be coming out to get at the IMRC's so if change is needed i might as well do it right away.

Although when i was reading the octane VS Intercooling section i think that doing fuel mixtures may get to be a pain after a while. What would i be looking at (roughly) to make a Functional intercooler?

Last, i see they only sell directly to the buyer, has anyone heard or know of what im looking at price wise for the entire 2.1 kit? (SC, both Boost-spark/pump, and manifold) This will be my first forced inducted vehicle so im new to this kinda thing . thanks guys.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:40 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I dont see how injects CANT be changed. Your injectors are the last link of fuel to the motor, therefore they are your weakest link no matter what fuel pump you have. You should change them out.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:50 AM
96svtC0BRA

thats what im saying...and for my next question what LB? I just didnt see how a stock injector would support that kind of power.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:24 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

If youre gonna run a stock bottom end, go with 42's because your motor will probably give out before your injectors would be maxxed out. And just buy the KB intercooled kit. I mean it comes with almost everything you need if youre worried about doing it right. Just wait for Tim99GT to chime in...he used to have one so he can probably tell ya everything you wanna know.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:27 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

at least run what a supercharged cobra does
Old 11-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96svtC0BRA
Hello. I decided that this week my IMRC's are coming out to be cleaned, and a Kenne Bell SC is going to be installed by spring. I understand the boost-a-pump and how it says injector change is NOT needed which i'd like to hear from someone else that this is true. Mainly because my stock ones will be coming out to get at the IMRC's so if change is needed i might as well do it right away.

Although when i was reading the octane VS Intercooling section i think that doing fuel mixtures may get to be a pain after a while. What would i be looking at (roughly) to make a Functional intercooler?

Last, i see they only sell directly to the buyer, has anyone heard or know of what im looking at price wise for the entire 2.1 kit? (SC, both Boost-spark/pump, and manifold) This will be my first forced inducted vehicle so im new to this kinda thing . thanks guys.
Ok, here we go
BAP - piece of cake. Install it, set it, and forget it.
Injectors - I assume you are still using the stock short block/engine so you are limited to ~450hp(the rods are the weak link BTW). So, 42lb per hr injectors should be more than enough. When i had the 2.1 on my GT, thats what they had sent me with the kit. However, I read through kb's web site and could not find anything really on what is included and whats not included for a 96-98 4v. I would def call them about this. They may include injectors... however, the comment about you being able to run stock injectors says to me that they wont include them.
If your wanting to run ~ the same hp/tq as a 03/04 cobra, i would do the 42's just to be safe and ~ 9psi on boost. This should put you right at the 400hp mark.
Intercooler - I honestly dont see anything on their site saying that they offer a i/c'd 2.1l for your car.... My guess would be that the manifold they had designed simply didnt allow for a i/c to be installed.(probably a issue with the total height of the blower with the a taller manifold. ie - wouldnt fit under a stock hood) As far as what you would need to do to be able to i/c this kit, the answer is design a new manifold that allows for a i/c to be installed. I know this isnt what you wanted to hear, but from what i gather from their site, they dont offer a i/c kit for your year/model car. I am going to run a search and see what i can come up with as far as others who have done/attemped this.
Octane - according to the ^ section, this is why you are going to have to mix booster with your gas. You will not have to do this as long as you plan to run ~7-8 psi. But to get to the hp you are after, your going to have to run more boost. So you will have to use booster in the gas so you dont have detonation. I dont think it will be too bad for you. You will simply have to add 16-32 oz of the octane booster(depending on what psi/hp you actually get tuned for) everytime you fill the tank. The easiest way will be to keep say measured amounts in water bottles(I have one on the desk and see it is 16.9oz) in the trunk. then when you fill up, dump one or two in the tank. I would also do the math to where you know exactly how much booster you need to fill up from a 1/4 tank. This way you basically have all the fun you want and when you get down to a 1/4 of a tank, fill up, and add the measured amount of additive.
Price -
TS1000-96C KIT 85 3799.00 6 PSI KIT W/AC ('96-'98 4.6 COBRA 4 VALVE) INCLUDES BOOST-A-PUMP, HI SPEED FAN KIT & MONO CHIP (UP TO 15 PSI) 2.1L

Now if you have/need to upgrade the injectors, add the price for those(not sure on the price) and the price of a set of 1* cooler spark plugs($15) to the total cost of the kit. More than likely you will be right at $4,000 for everything(buying it anyways).
As far as installation goes, i highly recomend you do the install yourself. The instructions that come with the kit are super easy to read and are "dummy" friendly with pictures of everything. As long as you can turn a wrench, you can install a kb. All it takes is ~ one weekend of your time and a basic tool set.
If you choose to have someone else install it, your looking at another ~$1,000 added to your total build.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Ok, did some reading and they do not make a i/c'ed kb kit for your make/model. So...your screwed as far as having a i/c'ed kb. (unless you change your heads)

However, in regards to my previous post about octane booster, i just thought... you could always run meth and not have to put additive in the gas tank. They actually have some nice meth kits out there that are self run. You simply check the meth level every now and again and as long as it is full, your golden.

So the question comes down to how far are you really going to go with this car. 400hp/tq and your done or do you plan to build the motor later/ run more boost ect...

I would say if your going to build the motor up and you plan to run 450+hp, go turbo...
Old 11-30-2009, 01:14 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I thought someone on here posted that its a bad idea to run meth on a twin screw blower...cus that was my suggestion to mrgreystang i think and someone shot that down real quick. just run 6lbs and a 50-75 shot of nitrous to keep everything cool.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM
96svtC0BRA

Thumbs down

Thanks tim you really helped me out there. I guess what i would end up doing is additive mixtures and get it down to a science, i just need to stop being lazy. This is just a street fun car so i beleive with 400+ WHP and a 4.10 gear ratio this car will run like a rocketship.

Now when you spoke of Turbo systems i was previously reading a little bit about them and it seemed to assure little to no boost lag i'd have to go twin-turbo.. Now if this would be less costly, and still hit my 400+ desire well why not? Im trying to make the safest, but cheapest way there WITHOUT the motor scattering. What about a blower?..

thanks for you input guys because i am VERY serious about this install! As far as swingin' the wrench goes i would definedly do it at my shop. just trailer the car to a (different) tuning shop to have everything fine tuned.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:36 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

To get the power you want, you will probably want a small single turbo. Hellion power systems has a kit for your car that includes everything you would need to take your car from where it is now to complete for $6200. I mean it has injectors, fuel pump, and maf included as well as a tubular k member and all that jazz too. So its an awesome kit. With that sized turbo you will probably be making about 450rwhp at like 8lbs and it will spool like nobody's business. That is a relatively small turbo for our cars and will take no time at all to spool, especially you being a 4v car. And you wont have the parasitic loss that you would with a supercharger.

http://hellionpowersystems.com/index...article&id=133

Theres the link to the kit. Check it out. It would probably be a better bet for ya I think.

Quick Reply: "Prepping & Cost" of Kenne Bell 2.1