4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

x pipe with bad cat questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:03 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by evanjp
blueblooded pony: hahaha that's funny about the guys that dont care about their job , etc. yeah i would be interested in doing the off road x, but i dunno. how difficult is it to swap pipes like that? i've never put an exhaust system on, and would do it in my driveway with jack stands and ramps. if i did do the offroad x, do i juts find some pipes and weld them/get them welded in place of the cats? how d i eliminate the 02 sensors? where do the mil eliminators go?

02stang211: how much would it cost me to have someone weld them in? i might just put some pipes in place of the cats now that i think about it more, but i'm still not sure.

sorry about the detailed questions guys, i just need to figure out a way to make this work! keep the good answers coming thanks a lot guys
Not too terribly difficult so as long as you don't go cheap like I did and buy a summit pipe, you will be saying a lot of 4 letter words when working with crap like that, but it only cost like $100, so I can't complain too much. You could do it in your driveway, there are plenty of guys that do LT's in their driveway (now that is dedication). I have heard of people cutting a old cat in half then welding that onto the o/r pipe so if you just glance under there, you see what you think are cats, when really they aren't. I wouldn't do that just in case you need to use your old pipe again.

The MIL's, if you get plug-ins, just plug right into the O2 sensor harness, splice in, well you get the idea. Check this out for some more MIL info and instructions on each. Plug-in elims Splice in elims. You can tune out the O2 sensors with I believe most tuners, I know Sniper does for sure because that is what I use.

Weld in prices vary depending on the mechanic and the mood he is in. I would think something like that would run you maybe between a half hour to hour mechanical time, so between $40 and $80. If he actually has to fab it all up for you, then it would be more. I would get a quote first because depending on the amount of $$$ involved, it might be cheaper just to get a new o/r x, a decent one can be had from $175 to $225. The more expensive ones can hit $300, just depends if they are made out of stainless or not.

Oh, and I do remember in a MD O/R thread a few weeks/months ago someone mentioning they were having issues finding a shop that would be willing to work on a o/r pipe on a DD car. So make sure too that the mechanic is even willing to do a catless pipe for you. I don't know if it is because some of these shops are MD inspection stations and the troopers would kill them if they found out or what, but some are adamant about it.

Last edited by ChalknCover; 12-02-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:00 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

thanks for all the info man. ill have some time to think about it so ill probably figure something out soon. if i were to get long tubes soon, should i not even bother with this x pipe? or would i be able to work with the one i get and fabricate it?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Yeah, if you are considering LT's anytime in the near future, I wouldn't even bother. It would just be wasting time and energy.