4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

nitrous oxide legal or illegal

Old 12-05-2009, 03:01 AM
serratoso

Default nitrous oxide legal or illegal

can anyone please help me out with this.. i recently got pulled over cause of my windows, the cop asked to see the hood, so i popped it open and he told me that it was illegal to be driving my car with the kit just mounted on there, the bottle wasn't even connected.... can someone tell me the law emissions with that for the state of California... or a direct link for the script that it says its legal as long as the bottle is disconnected... cause i wanted to go and fight it but i wanted to have proof at the same time and not show up empty handed...that would be pretty embarrassing ... anything would help...

thanks in advance.....
Old 12-05-2009, 03:21 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

IIRC its legal as long as the bottle is disconnected... in most states, idk why the **** it wouldn't be, its not like you're gonna disconnect it from the time the cop flips his lights on and gets to your window... Cali is so gung-ho with laws its riduclous. If its illegal to have it should be illegal to sell, if you had to re-install it everytime you went to the track that would be riduclous.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:23 AM
ezekiel90
3rd Gear Member

to the best of my knowledge you are allowed to have a nitrous system installed, but you are not allowed to have a nitrous bottle actually hooked up, or if it is hooked up, the bottle has to be empty. I'm not aware of any of the exact laws to fight this, but I would personally email the nitrous company you got there kit from and see if they can shed some light. Next time, don't show the cop ****! Just because he asked to search your car or look under your hood does not mean you have to let him. Unless he has some probable cause. I don't think you'll have a problem fighting the ticket. Hoped I helped
Old 12-05-2009, 04:11 AM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

ive heard but havent researched, that if u have a blowdown tube and a check valve on the bottle it can be mounted in the car, in the OFF position lol of course
Old 12-05-2009, 05:25 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Likewise I am almost very sure you are having a nitrous system is legal on the street so long as the bottle is not connected

I'm guessing it's gonna be hard to fight your case since your only option is to tell the judge that the bottle wasn't connected and the cop might say it was (or so he thought)...then it comes down to his word against yours.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:59 AM
steedondubs
2nd Gear Member

Those California cops are strict about car mods. Iv'e never had an issue wit any cops round here. But dont let em look in your car
Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Here in Michigan they could give a crap about nitrous lol. My buddy is a cop, and said the only way you'd get in trouble (and that's a maybe) is if you were pulled over for something else, and the cop was a jerk on top of that, and wanted to search the vehicle.

Last edited by mrtstang; 12-05-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:17 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Here in NE as long as the bottle isn't open then it isn't illegal.

And the whole don't show the cop because he doesn't have probable cause crap is true but once you say he can't search your car, that will make him suspicious and in the end if he really wants to search your car, he will.

Here is one link about having nitrous. Just states that using it for drug use is illegal, nothing about cars.
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/nitr...rous_law.shtml

Here is another site stating only the breathing of nitrous is illegal, nothing about cars:
"Nitrous systems
California Penal Code 381b makes possession of nitrous oxide "with the intent to breathe, inhale, or ingest" a misdemeanor. Though exceptions are provided for medical and dental care, we were unable to find any exceptions for motor vehicle use, but it would seem that the "intent to breathe" wording in this statute offers a degree of protection for enthusiasts"
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s_systems.html

This sites states no legal:
"Systems not legal for sale or use in California and other states on pollution controlled motor vehicles"

It actually seems like it would be legal as long as it wasn't open or connected. But that is only going off the little searching I did. You should try calling a place that sells nitrous and ask them.

Last edited by WannaBeGearHead; 12-05-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:21 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
And the whole don't show the cop because he doesn't have probable cause crap is true but once you say he can't search your car, that will make him suspicious and in the end if he really wants to search your car, he will.
exactly

i will never refuse a search unless im in some beat to hell piece of **** i dont care about

if you refuse a search, they bring the drug dog out and it will claw the **** out of all the paint on your entire car
Old 12-05-2009, 11:25 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

If nitrous is 'illegal, then companies shouldn't be selling it!!11', why are off road midpipes for sale on basically any online business that sells car parts/exhaust stuff? Just because you can buy something on a website doesn't mean it has to be legal on the street.

Do people seriously have luck with telling a cop that they won't let them search their vehicle? I just can't imagine that going over too well.

If I had nitrous, I'd just make sure the bottle isn't hooked up before I head out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: nitrous oxide legal or illegal