4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Custom Interior?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:32 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Default Custom Interior?

So i've really been thinkin about stuff for the interior, to spice it up a little. anyone have any pics of cool designs? i've been thinkin if i should start experimenting with fiberglass and foam and making some of my own panels. i dont wanna get too crazy, but some things i've been think about are:

center console: i really hate how high it sticks up and how round and bubbly and leathery it is, i wish it were more streamlined. i also hate how the e-brake is on the wrong side, wondering if a custom panel is built if it can be moved with some fabrication?

overhead console addition: i've always been a 3rd gen camaro fan, and i've seen some of them with overhead consoles and always thought that was pretty badass. really all i would put up here would be an integrated clock and maybe a couple other cool gadgets. maybe some extra lighting

dash: i really am starting to hate the leather look, and would prefer something smoother. not really sure what i could do about this, except rebuild the whole dash, wich would probably require me removing everything, and having to go without airbags (not that big of a deal) of corse if i get rid of the leather look, that would be the whole car... maybe some sort of vinyl?

seats: i have leather seats, driver side is power. not sure if i really need/want racing seats. not sure if i wanna keep the back seat. i've used it before when me and my wife take a couple of smaller friends out, but i might do a seat delete and maybe put some amps/subs back there? any other ideas on what i could throw back there? i've also tossed around the idea of having some/all of the leather replaced for multiple colors.

trim: i've seen the thread on painting trim yourself, might do that, anyone have any negative experiences with this? maybe i should consider using vinyl?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

I think painting things in the interior looks real tacky and cheap... IMO i say skip dressing up the inside of the car, its a mustang they arent known for there cool interior lol

But do what yau want
Old 12-18-2009, 11:00 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02stang2113
I think painting things in the interior looks real tacky and cheap... IMO i say skip dressing up the inside of the car, its a mustang they arent known for there cool interior lol

But do what yau want
I couldn't agree more! The only thing that i think is worthwhile is some nicer seats.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Honestly, I think it will turn into one big mess and you will end up returning to stock. The overhead console with maybe an outside temp gauge would be cool. Just buy some Mach 1 interior stuff lol. I like mine and the seats are great. I think you need some performence mods to get your mind off the dashboard lol. If your thinking about that then something about your car is not exciting enough lol. Get some longtubes lol. And what they said ^^
Old 12-19-2009, 01:59 AM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

If I had the coin, I would have the seats professionally rebuilt and re-covered in a more quality leather. I like the lines and look of the dash but hate the center console and despise the door panels.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

maybe a nicer stereo if you don't have one (mine came with a crummy aftermarket cd player that skips). and seats like they all said^^.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:58 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Id look into some katzkin seat covers. Very high quality and cool designs. Id also get a rear seat delete with a custom design in the middle maybe? The over head console may be the only thind id do that was truely "custom". Good luck my friend.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:07 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

yea, wasnt sure if the painting would work out or not. thanks for the input. as for the stereo, im workin on that, i have a cheapo wal-mart VR3 i got for like 50$ including brackets and everything but its the biggest piece of crap i've ever bought. lookin to upgrade here, including whole sound system, after i get my turbo.

i've seen some crazy interiors, and some things i liked and some i didnt. i havent seen any overhead consoles actually on a mustang. i did see one on a website a year back but it looked really tacky, but was really expensive.