4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Another cam thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:55 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Nick really needs to get on here, and explain this in detail. In the meantime let me ask you a few questions: 1). Are you running the stock valves and pistons with no modifications whatsoever? 2). When you degreed you cams in did you you install them at the advertised specs? No retarding of the IC or anything? 3). Do you know how much clearence you had after you degreed them in?
I agree with Nick coming in here as well. I just think they're too many people using these cams with no problems to be concerned. This is my opinion of course and everyone should be aware of the possibility of having problems. As for my car here's the answers.......

1. Everything stock but the cams and springs.
2. Advertised specs were used.
3. No idea, we never checked. CMS had told me "no PTV problems if degreed" so i was OK with that. Obviously I have enough. lol
Old 12-19-2009, 01:18 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayC
I agree with Nick coming in here as well. I just think they're too many people using these cams with no problems to be concerned. This is my opinion of course and everyone should be aware of the possibility of having problems. As for my car here's the answers.......

1. Everything stock but the cams and springs.
2. Advertised specs were used.
3. No idea, we never checked. CMS had told me "no PTV problems if degreed" so i was OK with that. Obviously I have enough. lol
When i'm done here i'm going to pm Nick, and see if he'll come on here, and explain this.

I agree, there are several people running these cams with great sucess, and no apparent problems. This is where the real confusion come in. If it were just one person saying that most popular stage 2 cams were having pvt problems on the pi heads, i would have my doubts too, but i've personally seen this info confirmed.

John Tymensky of Modular Performance confirms with Nick's findings as well. John is one of the top modular engine builders in the country (he designed the mod motor from what i hear) and personally told me the CMS stage 2's would have unacceptable clearence on the stock pi valve and piston if installed at a 108 IC. He said they would fit if IC was retarted a little, but it would also cost a little mid range power.

Again, i can't argue with the guys (such as yourself) that seem to do well with these cams, but at the same time i've seen so much to prove that there would be problems with these cams if installed straight up.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:24 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I personally feel that anyone who has clearance issues with an off the shelf stage 2 is attributed to rare circumstances. I think it occurs when someone just has bad luck with their motor and the vales are installed at the maximum tolerance level or cut a little bigger ect. Same with the cams. Maybe the cam was ground at its max tolerance as well.

Companies claim no PTV clearance issues so it would need to be a pretty crappy circumstance for it to happen. Just my .02
Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

good info guys. i pmed 10inchterror to ask him about his stage 2's... my first cam i wanted was his stage 2's bu the 108 lsa scares me a bit, the duration is fine and looks like a few people are having good luck with stock valves and stock pistons like jayc.

To degree properly I will need adjustable cam gears correct? Or should I be fine with mhs's cam gears, they are suppose to be degreed to zero +-.5 instead of +-4 degrees.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:14 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
I personally feel that anyone who has clearance issues with an off the shelf stage 2 is attributed to rare circumstances. I think it occurs when someone just has bad luck with their motor and the vales are installed at the maximum tolerance level or cut a little bigger ect. Same with the cams. Maybe the cam was ground at its max tolerance as well.

Companies claim no PTV clearance issues so it would need to be a pretty crappy circumstance for it to happen. Just my .02
+10000
Old 12-19-2009, 02:17 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Also, take into consideration that he is PI swapped...so he has the flat top pistons of the 97 motor still in there. So that will cause more issues that just the LSA alone...
Old 12-19-2009, 02:18 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I just sent Nick a PM. So, let's see if he can better explain the finer details around his research.

Because let's face it, there is a lot of conflicting evidence here. None of us on here are cam experts or shop owners, so we can only debate on what we have personally seen or read.

Let's leave it up to the people who professionally deal with this stuff to get on here and show us why what they're saying is correct. Any of you guys that deal with Cushman, Hitech, etc... try to get them to chime in as well.

It would be nice to get a discussion together here, and let these guys further explain their findings in greater detail.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:44 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

npi pistons are dished as well as pi pistons just a smaller dish like 10 vs 18 cc. The PTV is on the edge of the piston anyways

Old 12-19-2009, 02:45 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Oh gotcha. I thought NPI cars were flat top pistons.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:46 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

we should get Jim in here on this too so we can talk to both of them about their cams and such.

Quick Reply: Another cam thread