4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Turbo Kit or Supercharge it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:44 AM
GStang04T

Default Turbo Kit or Supercharge it?

This is my only vehicle so I need to keep it running lol but I'm looking to take it down to morrosso quite a bit. It's a 2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Manual. Or i might just get some spray for this pup sence that's only like 300 a bottle. Want some opinions.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Quick and easy No2, less easy/more expensive but with power all the time go Supercharger, Turbo is the most expensive and the hardest/longest install but I would consider the best for High Hp applications.

I'm assuming your engine is stock and with that you'll be limited to 425-450rwhp.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:58 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Morrosso is a drag strip? If so I would say nitrous is your best bet.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

spraying can tear it up on the track but like everyone said its not always there like the other two. Supercharging it can be done easly for under 4k. read the sticky on it for $1500. A good turbo kit would cost you around $8000 if im not mistaken. Maybe you can get one for 6. I love spraying my car but im getting a supercharger as soon as i get in the states because i want that power all the time.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:32 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

The turbo kits that cost close to ~8K are usually twin turbos that include everything. Where people get confused is that a "turbo kit" comes will everything included. That means MAF sensor, Tubular k, coil overs, the turbo kit itself, etc etc... The tuner kit for Hellion is only $3500. Most single turbo kits "tuner kits" (which means the turbo kit and thats it, no fuel MAF sensor, etc), can be had for 3k. With a supercharger, while it can appear to be cheaper over time, costs close to the same at the end. With the supercharger, you can get the pieces individually and then buy the injectors, MAF, fuel pump, plus the other bolt ons, LT, mid pipe, etc if you don't already have them. However, the plus side of the piecing the supercharger kit together is that if you wait for the right deals, people have managed to piece a complete kit together for LESS than 3K. For my turbo kit I have spent $700 and still need to get the turbo kit and K member, which will run me $3200, and then ill be complete. So in all ~$4K for a complete turbo system.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:04 PM
GStang04T

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Morrosso is a drag strip? If so I would say nitrous is your best bet.
yeah it's a drag strip, but someone was telling me spray is bad for your engine and can seirously **** it up, i was thinking get a bottle of spray, have some fun with it then save up for a turbo kit and all that ****, i'm sooo down to drop 4k on a good turbo and enjoy the rest also the crew i roll with does drifting so is turbos good for that?
Old 12-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

All three can seriously f*** your engine up if you give it too much without being properly built and tuned. If you want to go cheap and easy (and safe) for right now, do a 100 shot and get it tuned. As long as you don't beat on it like a mixed race stepchild at every green light it'll run like a champ for a long time to come. As far as f/i is concerned, I like superchargers; mechanically much less complicated than turbos, but turbos do make more power per lb. of boost. Either way, if you stay under 10 lbs., and don't beat on it as described above, an engine with stock internals will be fine.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Really? I couldn't tell.

Originally Posted by GStang02T
yeah it's a drag strip, but someone was telling me spray is bad for your engine and can seirously **** it up, i was thinking get a bottle of spray, have some fun with it then save up for a turbo kit and all that ****, i'm sooo down to drop 4k on a good turbo and enjoy the rest also the crew i roll with does drifting so is turbos good for that?
Old 12-26-2009, 06:17 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
All three can seriously f*** your engine up if you give it too much without being properly built and tuned. If you want to go cheap and easy (and safe) for right now, do a 100 shot and get it tuned. As long as you don't beat on it like a mixed race stepchild at every green light it'll run like a champ for a long time to come. As far as f/i is concerned, I like superchargers; mechanically much less complicated than turbos, but turbos do make more power per lb. of boost. Either way, if you stay under 10 lbs., and don't beat on it as described above, an engine with stock internals will be fine.
10lbs of boost from a turbo will blow his bottom end. lol i wouldnt go past 8lbs with a turbo. But yea, you can get a hellion single turbo kit with K member and all for $6000 and it comes with literally everything that you need. Its an awesome kit. So i'd look into that.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:42 PM
GStang04T

I'm just going to save up for a turbo, burn about $3,000-$4,000 then remap my ecu or w.e, my step dad who works on cars for a living was telling me that turbo improves the gas miles i was like wtf no way. is this information correct or no

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit or Supercharge it?