4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How to Make Mustang into a Drift Machine

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Terminal_GT

Originally Posted by guitarist4life
Ive answered numerous questions on this topic.

Mustangs are not IDEAL..but can be built to drift. Just look at Vaughn Gittin Jrs car.

I have a few questions for you

have you drifted on the track before in any car what so ever? Do u know the basics of car building? Much like any other motor sports drifting takes practice, time and money. Ive been drifting on the track for 4 years now. I can help you get on your way. PM me if ya want

the V8 model would be ideal. However, mustangs have a massive amount of understeer. So first off, suspension mods. Brakes. Weight reduction. THEN, lower gears for the first three gears if you really wanna get serious. More power is then next

I DO NOT recommend learning the physics and basics of drifting in a mustang. I recommend a nissan 240sx or Toyota Corrolla.(1984-1989). IF you are dead serious about wanting to pursue the motorsport of drifting, then we can talk about more expansive mods
I have never been to an actual track. Although I do drift my Dodge Ram on dirt roads and do some nasty powerslides in the rain which gives me a little practice with throttle control. Ive also done a lot of e-brake turns and reverse 180s, etc. in FWD cars so I do have some understanding of car physics, although im sure on a track it is considerably different.

Now that you've mentioned this, I think I might get a 240SX when I come home from the Marines and have a Stang as a DD later on. After all, almost everytime I see someone drifting a new edge stang they seem to have quite a bit of trouble lol

I am dead serious about persuing drifting, but it wont be until I get out of the service in about 4 years, or I may be able to work somethin out while im still in.

By autocross I meant drifting around cones n such, should have said gymkhana, my bad lol.

Thanks for the advice everyone, its definitly helped.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

Originally Posted by Terminal_GT
I have never been to an actual track. Although I do drift my Dodge Ram on dirt roads and do some nasty powerslides in the rain which gives me a little practice with throttle control. Ive also done a lot of e-brake turns and reverse 180s, etc. in FWD cars so I do have some understanding of car physics, although im sure on a track it is considerably different.

Now that you've mentioned this, I think I might get a 240SX when I come home from the Marines and have a Stang as a DD later on. After all, almost everytime I see someone drifting a new edge stang they seem to have quite a bit of trouble lol

I am dead serious about persuing drifting, but it wont be until I get out of the service in about 4 years, or I may be able to work somethin out while im still in.

By autocross I meant drifting around cones n such, should have said gymkhana, my bad lol.

Thanks for the advice everyone, its definitly helped.
You may want to try actual drifting before you build a car for it. I think everyone has brought the rear end out or pulled the e-brake in a FWD car.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Terminal_GT

Originally Posted by jmac72187
You may want to try actual drifting before you build a car for it. I think everyone has brought the rear end out or pulled the e-brake in a FWD car.
I plan too lol
Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Driftstang99

You can't make a drifter a DD. Been there done that.. Buy a beater pickup with a 2.2 get 25mph.. Park your new stang then mod the hell out of your suspension, rearend, and rollcage it. 4:10's in the rear.. Mini spool it for posi.. Blah blah blah. Go sideways.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Driftstang99
You can't make a drifter a DD. Been there done that.. Buy a beater pickup with a 2.2 get 25mph.. Park your new stang then mod the hell out of your suspension, rearend, and rollcage it. 4:10's in the rear.. Mini spool it for posi.. Blah blah blah. Go sideways.
way to go noob! the thread is a year old!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

LOL....gotta love it. Sorry had to do it.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 PM
NinjaMonky
1st Gear Member

Lmao, I remember reading this thread when it first came up, funny stuff.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:51 AM
03 SVT cobra

What's up guys I have a 03 cobra I want to turn in to a drift car but I'm just not to sure where to start I have a little experience drifting I had a 78 280z but I just want to know where to start and if no body really knows that's fine just point me to someone who does cause I'm as serious as a heart attack about getting myself and my car into the first stages of a drifting career
Old 08-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by 03 SVT cobra
What's up guys I have a 03 cobra I want to turn in to a drift car but I'm just not to sure where to start I have a little experience drifting I had a 78 280z but I just want to know where to start and if no body really knows that's fine just point me to someone who does cause I'm as serious as a heart attack about getting myself and my car into the first stages of a drifting career
Vaughn Gitten's cellphone number is (310) 555 6686. He can hook you up with Ford and Falken Tire.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

and its with an irs......

Quick Reply: How to Make Mustang into a Drift Machine