4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Painting Harmonic balancer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:02 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Default Painting Harmonic balancer?

Ok so I have all my crap apart to replace a timing chain guide and have been trying to clean the crap out of everything I can get to now. The front timing cover is coming clean pretty easy but my crank pulley/harmonic balancer is rusted as hell and is going to look pretty crappy in an otherwise tidy bay. Is it ok to clean off the rust with like a wire wheel on a drill and then paint it with just some black krylon or something? It may sound dumb but I just didn't know if it would effect it doing it's job in anyway.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Paint it, mask the bore and sealing surface of the hub of course...
Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Thanks cliffy. So is it ok to hit it with a drill and wire brush to give a good surface to put the paint on?
Old 02-18-2014, 03:25 PM
from6to8

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
Thanks cliffy. So is it ok to hit it with a drill and wire brush to give a good surface to put the paint on?
how did it work out for ya?

I am wanting to do the same thing
Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I am curious as to why anyone believes wire brushing and painting the balancer would affect anything--at all--other than make it look better?

Here is a photo of the Steeda UDP set and a stock balancer (happens to be a 2006 set, but that's irrelevant); note that the Steeda pulley/balancer is painted. Ford's is not only because it's cheaper to not paint it...

Old 02-18-2014, 06:02 PM
from6to8

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I am curious as to why anyone believes wire brushing and painting the balancer would affect anything--at all--other than make it look better?

Here is a photo of the Steeda UDP set and a stock balancer (happens to be a 2006 set, but that's irrelevant); note that the Steeda pulley/balancer is painted. Ford's is not only because it's cheaper to not paint it...

I'm not sure I get what you are explaining or asking.

I merely want to get rid of the rust and make things under the hood cleaner, look better while i have it all apart.
Attached Thumbnails Painting Harmonic balancer?-harm-balancer-before-painting.jpg  
Old 02-18-2014, 06:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by from6to8
I'm not sure I get what you are explaining or asking.

I merely want to get rid of the rust and make things under the hood cleaner, look better while i have it all apart.
I am asking "Why is anyone concerned that cleaning and painting the harmonic balancer might create some problem--any problem?"

What possible difference could a coat of paint--probably adding an evenly distributed whopping 0.005% to the balancer's mass (and less than that if the rust layer is removed, offsetting the mass of the paint) make in the balancer's ability to dampen crankshaft harmonics?

I have for many years believed that there no such thing as a stupid question; nonetheless asking "Is it ok to clean off the rust with like a wire wheel on a drill and then paint it with just some black krylon or something?", as did the OP over 4 years ago, is pretty damned close to being one.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:39 PM
from6to8

I am asking "Why is anyone concerned that cleaning and painting the harmonic balancer might create some problem--any problem?"

What possible difference could a coat of paint--probably adding an evenly distributed whopping 0.005% to the balancer's mass (and less than that if the rust layer is removed, offsetting the mass of the paint) make in the balancer's ability to dampen crankshaft harmonics?

I have for many years believed that there no such thing as a stupid question; nonetheless asking "Is it ok to clean off the rust with like a wire wheel on a drill and then paint it with just some black krylon or something?", as did the OP over 4 years ago, is pretty damned close to being one.
i was pretty much asking as to anyone maybe having done before and having a bad experience maybe like paint chipping or something. I wouldnt have thought along the lines of a weight factor
Old 02-18-2014, 08:57 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I had not considered that as part of the question--of course it will chip eventually, sooner rather then later if you do not prep it properly.

After wire brushing the damper clean/degrease it with denatured alcohol, 2 or 3 three times (you can wash it with dish washing detergent and hot water first, when dry use the alcohol once or twice).

I have found Krylon's Rust Tough to be about the best there is for painting things like the engine pulleys--beating out RustOleum's Stops Rust by a long shot.

Apply 3 or 4 coats to do it right. If using the Krylon you need to apply additional coats within 20 minutes to 2 hours; or wait 48 hours if you miss that window.

Do it like that and it will look good for several years...
Old 02-19-2014, 10:43 AM
from6to8

I had not considered that as part of the question--of course it will chip eventually, sooner rather then later if you do not prep it properly.

After wire brushing the damper clean/degrease it with denatured alcohol, 2 or 3 three times (you can wash it with dish washing detergent and hot water first, when dry use the alcohol once or twice).

I have found Krylon's Rust Tough to be about the best there is for painting things like the engine pulleys--beating out RustOleum's Stops Rust by a long shot.

Apply 3 or 4 coats to do it right. If using the Krylon you need to apply additional coats within 20 minutes to 2 hours; or wait 48 hours if you miss that window.

Do it like that and it will look good for several years...
cool sounds good