4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Looking For The Best Exhaust And Mid-Pipe Combo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:03 AM
mjrock1z

Default Looking For The Best Exhaust And Mid-Pipe Combo?

hey everyone im looking to get a new mid pipe and exhaust soon, im going to keep my stock headers, and put a new o/r x pipe and exhaust, i was thinking of going with a pypes off road x pipe and the pypes violator catback exhaust system together its 525 on americanmuscle.com and i saw some videos they sound good, but for this type of car, i was wondering what you guys had and what ones would be the best or sound the best, let me know, put up some videos i would greatly appreciate it, thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Try the SSS Terminator cat back if like it loud and mean sounding.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

There isnt really a "best" one. Everyone has their preferences. So check out some videos on youtube or the sticky on the forums and go from there.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

check out some of my videos... it will give you some ideas.

like he said above, there isnt really a "best" its a matter of preference
Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

+2 there is no best, youtube it up.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

i just put on a UPR O/R x pipe and magnaflow(oval body) catback and love it.

i would have gone with the Pypes but people have had fitment issues with them and som dont. so i paid a little more and went with UPR...if you want a perfect fit then look into Bassani or Magnaflow midpipes...the more you pay the better the fit it seems (plus they are stainless) just a heads up.

my UPR went on relatively nice, though it hangs a little low. but i agree with everyone so far. there is no best...its all preferance what you like. i wasnt a fan of flowmasters because of the metallic tin-like sound. the magnalow is more "refined" if you will and smoother. i havent heard anything in person from SSS but everyone loves them. any straight through muffler will be LOUD with catless midpipe (SLP LM1's and 2's, Magnaflow Magnapacks) again depends what you want. youtube/streetfire it up! i was able to find my exact setup on streetfire before i decided on my exhaust

my exhaust:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6-...cs-inside.html
Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 AM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

SLP and SSS are my favorites... but there are so many good set ups its a opinionated thing, watch vids and see what u like
Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

classic mustang sound: o/r h pipe and flowmaster or MAC catback

Really f***in loud: o/r x pipe and magnapacks, SLP LM1/LM2, SSS terminator, single chamber flowmasters, borla stingers, pypes violators, or bullet race mufflers.

Loud but still refined and clean: o/r x and SSS adrenalines, magnaflow oval mufflers, borla regular mufflers, steeda catback, SLP powerflo, and others im sure im forgetting. And then you can get a catted x pipe and run the mufflers in the really loud category and they will be toned down some so that they sound cleaner and more civil.

Quiet but still a step up in sound than stock: The mufflers in the category above with a catted midpipe.

Of course you can pair any of the mufflers above with an o/r or catted h pipe depending on your preferences but i tend to lean towards x pipes. Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:41 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Yes to say one is the best wouldn't have anything to do with the sound, but type of steel used, price, quality, that sort of thing.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

I agree with everyone above there definenely isn't a best it's all on what YOU as an individual likes. I recommend jumping on youtube and watching some videos of different set ups, I swear exhaust is one of the hardest things to finally pull the trigger on because there are so many awsome setups out there! You'll see alot of people switching up setups for this exact reason. I have the Pypes Violator Catback right now with stock manifolds and stock H pipe and they sound awsome I would definently recommend "The Beast" set up from american muscle. I ended up falling in love with SSS Adrenalines so I ordered a new pair of the mufflers (See it never ends!). Whatever you choose I know you won't be disappointed! Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Looking For The Best Exhaust And Mid-Pipe Combo?