4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

crashed my 96 mystic

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 02:53 PM
dwarfcat

Default crashed my 96 mystic

Lady ran a red light and I tboned her. Car is a total loss, got a call today saying it was already at 6800 in damage and that was with using yunkyard parts. Im not sure what they are going to offer me as far as value. What usually happens? Will I be able to buy it back salvage and would you say it would be worth it? It is driveable but the front end is twisted pretty bad. The bags didnt even deploy. It has 85k miles on the engine and tranny. What kind of price would I be able to fetch for a perfect engine and trans?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:26 PM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

That sucks. Yes you should be able to buy it back. They will just deduct that amount from the total lose amount. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:34 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Well, given I don't know what the actual condition of the car is in now it's hard to say, but you need to consider a couple of things. What have you put into the car you could lose in the matter and what is the car worth to you. The Mystic paint in and of itself has got to be pretty expensive I'm guessing just to repaint the front end, plus get it straightened out, and usually things turn up over time to as a result of accidents.

I had a friend who had a Camaro that was amazing and had probably 10-15 grand invested into it. He had full coverage, but did not have gap insurance to cover the extra parts...as when he inquired about extra coverage to cover a higher value on the car the agent said he probably would get dropped coverage because his vehicle was so "highly" modified in the engine...

Long story short, he got into a wreck, the insurance company said the vehicle was totaled and offered him like $4000 for the value of the car. He argued, but they insisted that his modifications were his problem and that this was the value at the moment if he were to find another vehicle. Anyways, he couldn't just afford to let it go to waste as he had too much invested (stuff that was still good to use) and he ended up parting out some parts of it and using other stuff for another Camaro he ended up buying.

This time he's looking into a different insurance coverage for show cars and stuff, but as of late he's been denied because of vehicle age being too new (I think it's like a 95 or something he has) and even if he could, it couldn't be a daily driver because they would limit his miles, but yeah I suppose that was a smarter move on his part...it just depends on what you think everythings worth and if there's anything out there you'd rather do.

Last edited by dastangman; 01-15-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:13 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

damn that sucks. mystic is such an awesome color! its sad to see another one bite the dust
Old 01-15-2010, 04:16 PM
atrain59
1st Gear Member

sorry to here about you car man
Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwarfcat
Lady ran a red light and I tboned her. Car is a total loss, got a call today saying it was already at 6800 in damage and that was with using yunkyard parts. Im not sure what they are going to offer me as far as value. What usually happens? Will I be able to buy it back salvage and would you say it would be worth it? It is driveable but the front end is twisted pretty bad. The bags didnt even deploy. It has 85k miles on the engine and tranny. What kind of price would I be able to fetch for a perfect engine and trans?
Ouch, sorry to hear. Depends on the insurance really. A guy backed over me in a parking lot when I had my old 94 Mark VIII. He had State Farm and they were a breeze to work with. Took it in, their damage estimator checked it out, offered a GREAT amount and a free car rental while I got it fixed and if the bill went over the offered amount then I could send it to them and they would take care of it. Cut a check to me before I left.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

You could always sue the other driver for what the insurance doesn't/won't cover. I don't usually condone sueing, but there are times that it is necessary.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 PM
WOH HRSY
4th Gear Member

Ouch that sucks, hopefully everything works out for you!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:00 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Defiantly try to buy it back. You can part out he Engine and brakes and make and nice little chunk of change
Old 01-15-2010, 09:15 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear that bro

Quick Reply: crashed my 96 mystic