4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Im going KB

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 AM
saveme20
1st Gear Member

Default Im going KB

So I decided to build my credit up some more and what better way than a loan to get my baby a KB haha some questions 1. jw will this make it louder I heard it does. 2. at 9psi what kinda hp will I have with nothing else but x pipe and catback? 3. It's my daily driver mainly the reason I am gettin the intercooled kit but should I get another tune for every day use and one for power? 4. How much is it going to kill my mpg if I am on the highway at about 70mph cause I know It take power so if It's not boosting dose it still? 5. I got nt05s with lower control arms will I still have a prob with traction? 6. I have 105000 miles on it but no leaks at all and runs perfect I should still be alright right?

Thanks for all the help

Last edited by saveme20; 01-20-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:29 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

1) Will it make the car louder?
A: You will def hear it under heavy acceleration, but its noise from the blower itself, not really anything added to the dB of your exhaust.

2) what HP will I make with 9 PSI?
A: From what ive heard everybody say on here, they usually agree between 350-375 wrhp (without full/most bolt-ons)

3) Should I get more then one tune?
A: That would be one way of trying to preserve MPG, but lets be serious, you'll ultimately stop messing with it and leave the "full" tune on, haha

4) What will this do to my MPG?
A: Im pretty sure the KB comes with injectors right? Well, think about that, you are prob going to be dumping a extra quarter of fuel per cylinder.

Last edited by 0949er; 01-20-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

With that many miles it wouldn't hurt to do a compression test just to be sure.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

1. Wont really hear the blower if your exhaust is loud. I could barely hear mine.
Exhaust will be alittle louder. At least mine seemed like it was after the blower install.

2. 9psi will net you ~380rwhp.

3.one tune will be fine...

4. MPG wont suffer as long as you arent in boost all the time. At 70 on the highway you wont see a difference.

5. at first... yes then you will get used to the power and learn how to handle the car

6. you should be fine. Do a comp test just to make sure everything seals fine. Other than that, drive it like you stole it.

Last edited by Tim99GT; 01-20-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:01 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

Saveme20, IMHO, use the loan to refresh your drivetrain for a more reliable starting point. Eaton posi w/ gears, tranny rebuild and clutch or stall, valve body, shift kit if auto. Replace or refresh your engine block, ( used 4V ). A used E-bay Termi motor! My Stang has 96,000 on it, I plan on exhaust & simple bolt-ons. I would love to go KB right now, but I'm concerned about the mileage on my 2V. And now a warning ! Last Oct. I finished my LS 1 drive train in my GMC. New block heads etc., Fully built tranny and rear. Some a$$hole on his cell phone sideswiped me at 60 MPH in a const. zone pushing me into a concrete divider his car connected on drivers side, pass. side scraping concrete, ruining lot of money. The new drivetrain had maybe 2000 miles on it. The ins. adjuster looked at all my records & reciepts, he still totalled it AND put me 50% at fault. Not trying to wag my finger at you, just wanted to share that experience with U. The worst was my now (ex) wife " I told you so, dumba$$" I still owe the bank thousands on loans from that damn truck. Oh well, I got another Stang so, let the modding begin! I'm really curious to see how the KB is -because the mileage is close on our cars. Good Luck, on the mods.. Ric
Old 01-20-2010, 01:13 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

1) Yes it'll make your exhaust louder. People experience different levels of sound increase, because of increased flow, and on my car, it was significantly louder

2) With your mods, I agree with Tim... probably somewhere around 380rwhp. Although, depending on what options you choose for the blower, you could see 400+rwhp.

3) I ran the KB tune for 3 months... it's a good starter tune; it's safe. However, I'm getting a dyno tune on April 14 because I want more powerrrr!!! hehe

4) You'll be fine at 70mph... but you'll still go down on mpgs because you'll be goosing it so much

5) Yeah you'll still be able to break the wheels loose pretty easily. Until you get MTs or equivalent, expect a loss in traction (gotta say though, it's quite fun)

6) You'll be fine for a while.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:48 AM
saveme20
1st Gear Member

ok thanks a lot if anyone knows of someone selling one let me know obviously I would need the whole kit.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:08 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I wanna put a KB on my car so bad, hopfully soon.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

As far as traction goes, you should be better off than most because you have lower control arms, stock gears, and NT05's which actually hook better than the nitto dr's from what ive heard. So youre ahead of the game there. You'll probably still have some wheel spin but you'll learn how to minimize it. MPG will be fine and you'll be fine with the decrease because of the added power and feel of the KB. And i would +1 to the compression test.