4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Potential Mustang Owner Questions: What to look for so I don't get Screwed

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:28 AM
CS_Wolfman

Default Potential Mustang Owner Questions: What to look for so I don't get Screwed

Hello all, new guy here to the forums, sought you guys out to get some help before I make my investment. Basically I'm looking at picking up a used Mustang here soon, mostly likely of of the 1996-2004 generation and specifically the 4.6L (I need a V8, I'm getting tired of inline 4s and FWD).

Now, the reason I've sought you guys out is because as much as I have always liked the Mustang since I was a kid, the car is a mystery to me mechanically. As beyond the basics I don' know any of the specific issues or problems I should keep an eye on when looking at a used (and possibly abused) Mustang. Which is why I'm here, hoping you guys can let me know what I should keep an eye out for when looking at used Mustangs. Specific issues and even tiny little things are what I'm looking for, mostly in regards to the powertrain. I'm not so much concerned with aesthetics or interior shape and so forth as I am the engine, tranny and so forth. So any information you guys could give me that would help me make an informed purchase would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also, if it helps here's the basics of what I'm looking for in a used mustang.

4.6L
Manual Transmission
Hard Top (As much as I want a convertible, I could see that being a pain in northern Colorado come winter)
Mechanically Stock

Also, if it matters something to keep in mind as for what I would have in mind modification wise down the road, the only thing that would comes to mind is I'm gonna want to super charge it, so if that affects anything in what I should look for lemme know. It's not critical, just a thought.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Pick it just like you would any used car. These cars are pretty tough and otherwise reliable given that it's been maintained well and not beaten on too much. In my experience, cars that have been subjected to excessive abuse, whether that be in the form of hard driving or lack of maintenance will typically show that in their outward appearance. A person who meticulously maintains their car mechanically will typically be just as obsessive of the car's visual appearance. For example my car shows some signs of wear; it's 9 years old, 83K miles, so little things like the leather on the driver's seat and steering wheel is less than perfect, but any mechanic can tell at a glance that the car is loved and well taken care of (everybody who's ever worked on my car has noticed and said as much to me). If you come across a car that's visually a little rough around the edges (more than normal wear n' tear), that would be a good indication to me of it's mechanical condition. Either way, when you get close to pulling the trigger on a car you like, have a mechanic do a thorough inspection on it before you ink the deal. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

+1^^^ make sure it has a good service report, these cars are reliable as long as they see regular maintenance, the intake is plastic and known to crack, then again mine hasn't cracked yet so

if you're going to super charge it maybe look into getting a 4v 4.6L such as a 2001 cobra or bullitt or mach 1, if you're going to get a manual MGW makes very nice short shifters, lowering springs will make the car look and handle much better

goodluck, lots of info here, check out the stickies
Old 02-01-2010, 02:36 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

You want to focus on the 99-04 gen because of the PI motor. You would want to run a carfax and also see what service records the owner/dealer has.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

if i were looking for a used Mustang in that year range and had plans to eventually supercharge it, i'd quickly narrow it down to '03 and '04. i believe in '03 Ford doubled the threads for the spark plugs, i've heard of some people having spark plug blowout, especially with boosted motors. if you're wanting to supercharge then this will be something to consider. mechanically speaking though, all '99-'04 mustangs are more or less the same. they changed transmissions somewhere in there, not sure what year, but the later year models run the 3650 manual transmission and i think the '99 and '00 run a T45 manual (maybe someone can give exact years here).

another problem is the plastic intake manifold cracking, which happened to mine about 2 weeks ago. other than those few minor things, the 4.6 has proven a very reliable and tough motor. i had a timing chain tensioner break on mine a few years ago, but that was the first mechanical problem i'd had since buying it new in '02. my transmission also sounds and feels like it's about to die, but i'm pushing nearly twice as much power as the stock engine did.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:59 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

oh, and if it's in your price range, i'd look for a Cobra or a Mach 1. the GT comes with a SOHC (2V) motor, and the Cobra and Mach 1 came with a DOHC (4V) motor. same displacement, but the 4V heads flow much better and those engines have much higher power potential. the '03 and '04 Cobra ("Terminator") even came from the factory with a supercharger.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 AM
CS_Wolfman

Thanks guys for the info, I've only got a short time so I'll keep this quick and give a more detailed reply to you all later.

Also, price wise I'm looking to keep things under 10 grand. This is gonna be first car I buy like this so I'm not looking to shell out too much right now. I'd rather make an initial investment that can be built upon later.

Also, if I do end up just getting the 2valve for now, could I drop the 4 valve head on it at a later date?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CS_Wolfman
Thanks guys for the info, I've only got a short time so I'll keep this quick and give a more detailed reply to you all later.

Also, price wise I'm looking to keep things under 10 grand. This is gonna be first car I buy like this so I'm not looking to shell out too much right now. I'd rather make an initial investment that can be built upon later.

Also, if I do end up just getting the 2valve for now, could I drop the 4 valve head on it at a later date?
For 10K you're looking at a 01-04 GT most likely, maybe a 96-98 Cobra. As far as the 4V heads, yes it can be done, but it's pretty involved. All things considered, it would probably be easier to do a complete engine swap from a 4V donor car.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CS_Wolfman
Hard Top (As much as I want a convertible, I could see that being a pain in northern Colorado come winter)
If you can find a vert in decent shape, you might as well go for it. One thing to keep in mind, these are not 'winter' cars by any stretch of the imagination. I had a fox body when I lived in Omaha, and it was a bitch to try to drive that in the winter. You will need 2 sets of tires (winter and summer) rather than all-seasons to even attempt it, plus all the other things to keep in mind with a higher-power lighter-weight rwd vehicle.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 PM
CS_Wolfman

I'll keep my eyes open then for a convertible in good shape, if it is known that the tops can handle the cold. And as for the tires, no worries there, I already keep sets of summer and winter tires for my current car; semi slicks in summer (when I pray it doesn't rain) and deep tracked and studded tires for winter. I also have some more quick questions if I may. Did any of the GTs come with the 4 valve head, if so which years. And if I do find an earlier cobra are they more powerful compared to the 2000+ GTs and also what year did they start coming with the facotry super? I found a 2001 in at a dealer today (though they wanted 26 k for it) and just hearing it gave me a nose bleed, literally. Frankly if I could have I would have bought it right there, but alas 26 is way out of my budget.

Quick Reply: Potential Mustang Owner Questions: What to look for so I don't get Screwed