4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

SVT Vs. GT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Swisher775

Default SVT Vs. GT!

So i'm new to stangs, i've always wanted one and after owning my current S10 and tricking it out (lowered, Rims blah blah) i'm ready for my first muscle car Anyways to the points..

So i'm about to deploy to Afghanistan and in a year I shall return with the intentions of grabbing an 03-04 Cobra or a 99-04 GT. Now this is my question as i've been reading about TT, Turbo's Vs. SC's.

I'm shooting for a decent range of HP, as of now i'm not honestly sure what i'll want in the future. But I know i want to keep this car for possibly the rest of my life. So my question is would it be wiser to grab up an 03-04 Cobra (for future HP build-ups) or a GT (for future HP Build-ups)?

Normally I would incline toward the cobra due to the fact it's already Supercharged.. But one of my friends with a GT says I should forget the Cobra and lean toward the GT with Twin Turbo? i'm sure the GT TT will be more costly, but in the long haul, which is worth it?

Thanks for ANY advice..
Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 PM
atrain59
1st Gear Member

Go with a 03/04 terminotor cobra cant go wrong with that. There is one at a shop by my house pushin 800wrhp
Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Swisher775
So i'm new to stangs, i've always wanted one and after owning my current S10 and tricking it out (lowered, Rims blah blah) i'm ready for my first muscle car Anyways to the points..

So i'm about to deploy to Afghanistan and in a year I shall return with the intentions of grabbing an 03-04 Cobra or a 99-04 GT. Now this is my question as i've been reading about TT, Turbo's Vs. SC's.

I'm shooting for a decent range of HP, as of now i'm not honestly sure what i'll want in the future. But I know i want to keep this car for possibly the rest of my life. So my question is would it be wiser to grab up an 03-04 Cobra (for future HP build-ups) or a GT (for future HP Build-ups)?

Normally I would incline toward the cobra due to the fact it's already Supercharged.. But one of my friends with a GT says I should forget the Cobra and lean toward the GT with Twin Turbo? i'm sure the GT TT will be more costly, but in the long haul, which is worth it?

Thanks for ANY advice..
I think your friend would just be jealous if you got the cobra. Go the cobra route if you have the cash. It will be much easier, you can enjoy the power right off the bat, 6-speed trans, it has a better suspension, looks better, nicer interior. You can always take the stock eaton off in favor of a henne bell later on and make great power (likely more than you will need).
Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Why not a Mach 1. Its the perfect mix of both. Thats my dream car.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:21 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tws1098
I think your friend would just be jealous if you got the cobra. Go the cobra route if you have the cash. It will be much easier, you can enjoy the power right off the bat, 6-speed trans, it has a better suspension, looks better, nicer interior. You can always take the stock eaton off in favor of a henne bell later on and make great power (likely more than you will need).
lol , yea definitley!

If some dude came up to me and asked me to suggest on the following-Cobra or GT, I'd most likely say Cobra. I mean, simply it's much better than the GT in almost every way possible performance wise. No offense to the GT WHATSOEVER! I love my car and my GT motor. But, like I said, cobra>gt any time if you had to make a choice. Looks, that's up to you to decide. I can care less about looks, I want performance.
So yea, go for the cobra! You will be satisfied!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:24 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
Why not a Mach 1. Its the perfect mix of both. Thats my dream car.
I agree! Everytime I see that white Mach 1 at the school lot, I walk by it and say, man, I'd like one of these! The white ones are my favorite and then the blue ones.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Fobra
Banned

it depends on the level of performance your looking for. If your happy with the limits of the cobra, then the cobra is the cheapest/easiest way to get there. IF not, the its the most expensive way to get there.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:05 AM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

i'd go with a cobra or a mach 1. the GT has some puny cylinder heads compared to its DOHC brethren, you'll be able to extract more power from the cobra or mach 1 in the future if you should decide to throw the parts book at it. and with the cobra, you get a rotating assembly that will handle more power than the GT also. i think the general consensus is that the GT is safe to the mid-400-rwhp range, and after that you'll want to rebuild with a forged rotating assembly.

here's an idea... Mach 1 with twin turbos
Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Fobra
Banned

You would still need to build the motor and the 4v heads dont flow great, they arn't bad, they are 2x as good as the PI heads, but ported PIs are pretty even with stock 4v heads, but you would have cams and feel better about taching the **** out of it all the time, then factor in that ported PIs are pretty cheap, the GT is not a bad way to go, but its out-of-pocket expenses
Old 02-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

4v>2v the 4v heads do flow great what are you talking about fobra? Ported pi heads are still JUST ported pi heads a full race port will make them about as good as stock cobra heads. Even b heads can flow 300+ cfm . If you can afford it go cobra and never look back anyone saying different is just sorry they didnt get this advice everything about the cobra is better. Dont get me wrong i love my gt's ... Just not as much as i love my cobra.

Quick Reply: SVT Vs. GT!