4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

sheet metal vs Fiberglass Hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

i'm pretty sure that Late Model Resto hood is fiberglass, you may want to call them to double check. i'd go that route if i were you.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 AM
alchype2005
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by texas_stang02
i'm pretty sure that Late Model Resto hood is fiberglass, you may want to call them to double check. i'd go that route if i were you.
I just send them an email hope they response soon.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 AM
alchype2005
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
where does it say that latemodelresto's hood is sheet metal? i would think they used fiberglass also....i dont know that for sure though, did you call them?

of the two, i would order from latemodelresto....if you have any issues im sure their customer service will be willing to help you out more than some random ebay seller
The description used to say:

"Our reproduction hoods are crafted then shipped directly from our warehouse to you. We offer nothing but the best sheet metal for your Mustang"

I guess they saw their problem and changed the description, i just send them an email since they are closed, ill let you know
Old 02-11-2010, 02:56 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I would doubt VERY much that an after market hood would be fabricated from sheet metal, the cost for the dies for making such a large assembly would be staggering.

And if it were steel it would weigh 3 times more than the stock hood, and 4 times more then an after market glass hood...
Old 02-11-2010, 03:23 AM
1nstysnake
1st Gear Member

Cervini's auto design makes fiberglass hoods. they have great aftermarket hoods and other body parts to. i bought a hood from them
Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I would doubt VERY much that an after market hood would be fabricated from sheet metal, the cost for the dies for making such a large assembly would be staggering.

And if it were steel it would weigh 3 times more than the stock hood, and 4 times more then an after market glass hood...
^ This.

I would have said if someone was dumb enough to do a sheet metal hood, there would be no advantage because you would be adding serious weight to the car over the fiberglass hood.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 PM
alchype2005
2nd Gear Member

Just got an email from LMR, its fiberglass
Old 02-12-2010, 03:34 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by alchype2005
Just got an email from LMR, its fiberglass
It had to be--hand laid, or chopper gun sprayed, glass or some other laminate/resin process is the only economical way to produce small batches of things like hoods...
Old 02-12-2010, 03:44 AM
1nstysnake
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It had to be--hand laid, or chopper gun sprayed, glass or some other laminate/resin process is the only economical way to produce small batches of things like hoods...
is there a difference i mean fiberglass is fiberglass right i dont know? does it have a difference in quality?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:58 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 1nstysnake
is there a difference i mean fiberglass is fiberglass right i dont know? does it have a difference in quality?
There's a big difference. A chopper gun sprays chopped glass fiber and resin into a mold and is the fastest (and therefore cheapest) way o\f making big "panel" type things.

Hand laid construction uses woven or knit glass cloth that is placed and smoothed into mold, usually in multiple layers of cloth and resin.

The laminated construction is much stronger, however for something non-critical like the hood of a car chopper-gun fabrication is fine.

Here's a good WIKI article...

Quick Reply: sheet metal vs Fiberglass Hood