4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Any Problems with new Trick Flow Twisted Wedged heads for 2V's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:24 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Nick, if he would have gotten an aftermarket intake what numbers could he have seen? Also, was it the intake that caused him the rod bearing to pop?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:58 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gearhead559
the simple fact is, your not dealing with me as a dealer right now are you? your dealing with me as a pissed off person readin someone posts about how the castings have issues. which is the farthest thing from the truth.

umm he said it right here

i even put it in bold type for you. maybe you guys didnt read it like i did. this is the reason for my rash comments. he clearly stated its the head casting's. where in that is any praise?

funny i sell them way cheaper then 2 k, thats where i gain my respect,

excuse the hell out of me for not knowing this site was here, otherwise i would have signed up long ago. but with the amount of retarded comments i do see on here(just like on corral) make me not want to post here.

I was simply quoting what I was told at PRI when I asked for the new R head availability. If its snow slowing it down now and I am still getting my other shipments from Ohio on time, I don't know what else to say. I never said the heads that were released had casting problems, only that the reason for the delays were a casting supplier (as I was told). This same problem is happening currently in the cam world too (try getting a custom set of 3V cams at the moment) These heads have had delivery delays since day one, and it ain't been snowing that long.

Selling them less than the $2000 MAP? More power to you, thats why I did not become a dealer. To many shops to compete against for the race to the lowest price. You make what a couple hundred bucks a set after factoring in your overhead/costs? All it takes is losing one credit card fraud dispute and you have to sell 10 sets of heads to make up for the stolen pair. I don't run my business on margins that thin. You are not gaining any "respect" selling cheap IMHO. I raised my prices significantly a few months back, funny thing my business still keeps growing.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:09 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Nick, if he would have gotten an aftermarket intake what numbers could he have seen? Also, was it the intake that caused him the rod bearing to pop?

His problem he was on a stock early Cobra shortblock and had a 4R70W, neither of which is happy revving over 7000RPM. The TFS or Edelbrock intake would probably have had him at the 375RWHP range under 7000RPM. With more cam and RPM a bit over 400RWHP has been done and still be somewhat "streetable" though don't try passing a sniffer test. The intake had nothing to do with the rod bearing death. Its common with the stock powdered rods when they start turning that high of an RPM with that much power. If you design the bottom end to handle 7500RPM and combine these heads with an Edelbrock or TFS intake, its gonna scream, plain and simple. Using these heads on a 6500 shift point NA is like buying a filet mignon and boiling it in water to cook it. Sure it works but what wasted potential.