4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Steering Wheel Selection help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:19 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Default Steering Wheel Selection help needed

I'm lookin to get a new steering wheel for my ride. The one that is in it is an eyesore. When I bought the car, it was really worn and cracked.
I'm plannin on roadracing the car so I'm lookin for somethin with a quick disconnecting hub, and something that looks more "racey" but not tacky.
Most of what I'm finding looks really ricey or it looks like it should be an xbox 360 control.
It doesnt need an airbag, just a horn button.
Any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:17 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I'm confused on why you think you need a quick disconnect wheel? Everything your finding looks "ricey" Because it is ricey.
Anyway I Have a Sparco wheel and love it But Grant and MOMO make some nice wheels also
Old 02-19-2010, 12:34 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
I'm confused on why you think you need a quick disconnect wheel? Everything your finding looks "ricey" Because it is ricey.
Anyway I Have a Sparco wheel and love it But Grant and MOMO make some nice wheels also
I'm confused as to why you think that a purpose built track car with a quick connect hub for the steering wheel is ricey.
Most, if not all, race/track cars I've ever seen have them.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:28 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

So your car is 100% a track car? if so it is not "ricey" if you are building a street car that goes to the track every once and a while well that would fall into the "ricey" category.
And my car is built for the track and I have no quick disconnect
Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

^That, just get an FR500 steering wheel. That way it looks stock and is beefier.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:30 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

So your car is 100% a track car? if so it is not "ricey" if you are building a street car that goes to the track every once and a while well that would fall into the "ricey" category.
And my car is built for the track and I have no quick disconnect
yes, it is 99% track car. The other 1% would be driving it there. This car was bought with the sole purpose of roadracing it. With a full roll cage and race seats, it makes it a lil easier to get in and out of the car when there is'nt a steering wheel in the way. Whether or not your car has a disconnecting hub or not, makes no difference to me. I am simply asking for suggestions on what steering wheels will work but still stay true to the car. If you want to debate "rice", go ahead and have fun with that.

teej.....Thanks for the heads up. I'll check that out.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

i do not like the momo or sparco steering wheels on mustangs...they have their place on imports...not necessarily ricers. Ricers dont deserve to have them on the car because they wont be used. But like Supras and Evo's i can see having them...but not a mustang.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I wasn't trying to debate. Just didn't want you making your car look gay. Try summit, jegs or speedway .com for the quick disconnect

Last edited by BraMas; 02-19-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:10 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

i would think anything bought and installed that serves a real purpose (and not just looking cool or sounding cool) is not ricey....

i know nothing on the steering wheel deal, but it deff wont be rice if it is there for a reason lol
Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

I wasn't trying to debate. Just didn't want you making your car look gay. Try summit, jegs or speedway .com for the quick disconnect
I wasn't trying to be critical of your comment. There are quick disconnect hubs everywhere. I'm just trying to get oppinions on which wheel/wheels look good in the car. I guess I was hoping that people with after market wheels would post up which one they got, why, and if they're happy with the way it looks.
I see alot of different wheels but it's hard to envision what they will look like in the car. I don't want to get stuck with a wheel that looks/performs like crap.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Selection help needed