4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Questions about Staggered Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:17 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Default Questions about Staggered Wheels

I like the look of staggered wheels but are they strictly for looks, or are they beneficial for racing?
How much of a difference in size should there be? Could you use staggered wheels in a roadracing application? What sizes would look good on an s95?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Which type of staggered?
Smaller wheels up front that the rear in diameter
or in width

there are benefits performance wise to having wider rear wheels.....more grip.

as far as size goes...as in diameter ....I wouldn't think there would be any benefit besides look. (if you want to call it a benefit) Depends on the person.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

18x9's front 18x10's rear.....or if you can swing it 18x11's from ccw
Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

my bad, I just meant the diameter. Bigger in the back and smaller up front. Is it just a looks thing?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Going differing diameters can create some issues with your ABS brakes. I have found that over 1" diameter difference seems to be the "cut-off" line between the brakes acting up or no difference. The light on the dash will be triggered first and the brakes can start chattering a bit sooner. The car "thinks" the rear tires are skidding because they are spinning slower than the fronts.

As mentioned, staggered width can improve rear grip, but will provide additional understeer on a stock SN95. This can be addressed via heavier rear bar or springs, in most cases, but is generally done for looks.

Jazzer
Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Gotcha.
What would be a good wheel/tire size for an s95 be for roadracing?

To be honest, I don't think my car has ABS. I have only driven the car a couple times but did "test" the braking. I jumped on them pretty good without them locking up and didn't feel the pedal chatter you normaly would feel. Do you think that is because I'm not getting on them hard enough for the ABS to kick in? I plan on doin the cobra upgrade, eventually.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Your right, seems to me the pre-'99 Stangs didn't have ABS. Which brings me to the last question I meant to ask you, but forgot earlier this morning. Wup up wit da S197 in thu sig, bra? Is that the Cobra mentioned above?

A very common set-up is 9"s & 10"s with 275/35/18"s and 285~305/30/18"s. For a track car, I would probably recommend a set of 255/35's and 275/35's on the same 9" & 10"x18" wheels. Be ready to put down some cash for good tires as I will be spending just under $2K on shoes for my Summer only wheels in a month or so. I will be happy to get 8K miles from them on 8~9 AX days and 6 months of Summer driving.

Jazzer
Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Your right, seems to me the pre-'99 Stangs didn't have ABS. Which brings me to the last question I meant to ask you, but forgot earlier this morning. Wup up wit da S197 in thu sig, bra? Is that the Cobra mentioned above?

A very common set-up is 9"s & 10"s with 275/35/18"s and 285~305/30/18"s. For a track car, I would probably recommend a set of 255/35's and 275/35's on the same 9" & 10"x18" wheels. Be ready to put down some cash for good tires as I will be spending just under $2K on shoes for my Summer only wheels in a month or so. I will be happy to get 8K miles from them on 8~9 AX days and 6 months of Summer driving.

Jazzer
Im assuming when you ask about my sig car, you are talkin bout my avatar. Thats my "I wish I owned it" car. lol
I did get a taste of what tires will cost just the other day. I paid 245 for one tire. It wasnt any special compound or anything, but its a 245/40zr18.
I know once I get rid of the ghetto blingers for a respectable set of wheels, I'll need some nice high end tires for hittin the courses.
Thats why I'm trying to find out what type/size wheels are good to run on the s95.

oh, when I said "cobra upgrade", I meant cobra brake upgrade.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK.... Ya, I meant to say avi I wondered if it was a GT500 with some front end changes

Just so you will know, there is not a big advantage to going with Cobra brakes, but certainly some for sure. Good pads, SS lines and premium fluid will get you a LONG way. But if you are gonna run the track, some good rotors and cooling ducts will be needed so you don't get squishy brakes

Jazzer
Old 02-22-2010, 10:45 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
OK.... Ya, I meant to say avi I wondered if it was a GT500 with some front end changes

Just so you will know, there is not a big advantage to going with Cobra brakes, but certainly some for sure. Good pads, SS lines and premium fluid will get you a LONG way. But if you are gonna run the track, some good rotors and cooling ducts will be needed so you don't get squishy brakes

Jazzer
well, brakes are really a big deal to me. If cobra brakes won't do it for the track, I guess I'm gonna look into what packages brembo has.

As far as my avatar goes, it's just a pic I found on photobucket. I don't wanna post pics of my car due to the fact that I havent "made it mine" yet. Once I get her in race trim, then I'll show her off. I'm just asshamed by the previous owners taste.

Quick Reply: Questions about Staggered Wheels