4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Spring/Summer can't come soon enough!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:48 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Default Spring/Summer can't come soon enough!!!

Well, my forged rebuild is finally completed...or at least out of the engine builders hands. The only reason it's not back in the car is because of a 6' drift blocking the barn door...but then we'll get it tuned again and off to the streets. Probably spend awhile breaking it in, but at this point, I'm just wanting to drive it.

I really need to start saving up for a house, so I probably won't be throwing any major mods at it for awhile, perhaps a smaller pulley to get me back where I was - which is like 460rwhp or so. At this point, I can deal with the smaller compression ratio and less power just to be able to enjoy some time with the top down and cruising a bit. But that won't happen until mother nature decides to quite making the white powder fall. Oh how I sometimes hate Iowa.

Anyways, without going into specifics, we put in Diamond pistons, Manley rods, stock Cobra crank back in (rebalanced of course), ARP hardware, all the other junk like oil pump, gaskets, blah blah blah. Fixed a nearly impossible to reach (but small) oil leak I had, and also put on the Stage 8 Locking Header bolts while it was out too and those a frigging pain in the butt, but so was retorquing the other ones when they kept backing out.

I have a whole list of modifications still to come, after I get a house and wedding in Dec. 2011 out of the way, but at this point, I'm thinking once the engines broke in and I can stomp on it again, I'll start looking for an AFM Powerpipe and smaller pulley. I also need to find a convertible boot cover in black...Ebay has a few good listings, but I keep losing and some of the Buy it Now prices have been pretty high (although not as high as the $600 the dealership is asking).

Sorry for the long post, no one here to talk to, much less about my excitement!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:11 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I'd much rather look into a tonneau cover before i'd spend $600 on a boot. Mine doesnt even fit right and i wouldnt be comfortable driving around with it on.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:16 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

No, I wasn't going to spend $600 on a boot, that's just what the dealership was asking and I've seen them on Ebay for just over $100. I have seen some sweet tonneau covers, but they all come up right against the headrests of the front seats basically making the rear seats unusable for passengers.

If there is a nice tonneau cover out there that isn't designed this way, let me know, because I would be interested in that direction. I just went to a car show last year, and everyone but me had a boot cover so I was like, eh...I need one of those. I just thought it'd look better than having the top exposed while I was driving around, but I'd still like room for rear seat passengers.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I was thinking about the cervini's because you can take it apart in 2 pieces and i really dont carry around more than a passenger to a car show or whatever. Plus you can then put stuff underneath of it and not have to worry about it blowing away with the top down.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:04 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, yeah I guess I'll look into that...I honestly don't know much about them the tonneau covers. Will they work with a styling bar? How do they install?