4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Military question (since it seems many of you are in now or were before)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:51 PM
tws1098
4th Gear Member

Default Military question (since it seems many of you are in now or were before)

I know this isn't a car question, but since many of you are in the military or were previously, I thought I would ask. I have a ruptured disc in my lower back. The recruiter I talked to said that if it were to "heal" I could be cleared (6 month wait after surgery). The rupture is from lifting in high school 6 years ago. I was wondering what you all thought my odds of joining are after I have surgery? I was pretty upset when I was told I couldn't join, and don't want to get my hopes up again if it is highly unlikely I will be allowed in. Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

(the recruiter I talked to was for the Navy, I will most likely meet with an Air Force recruiter because that is the branch I am leaning toward)

EDIT: Please do not move this right away, I was looking for opinions from guys in this group.

Last edited by tws1098; 02-26-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

i personally have a friend with several felonies on his record that were waived (its nearly unheard of for anyone with a felony to get into any branch other than the army and were airforce). 2 guys in my shop were waived from knee injuries. one was waived from some broken sternum or something. it may take some time to get the waivers, but its possible.

you may want to consider your long term health too. joining the military means you will be forced to work out and perform heavy lifting and whatever else the job entails, could this further upset your injury and possibly put you in a wheel chair by the time your 30?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by tws1098

EDIT: Please do not move this right away, I was looking for opinions from guys in this group.
No problem
You would not get much in OT
Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Shoot my brother tried to join the army with bad hearing and a screwed up hand. If your recruiter is as sleezy and kiniving as most are, he will find a way to get you in..That recruiter jump through so many hoops to get my brother in.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I was in for ten years. Almost anything is waiverable although the Air Force is a bit more picky. It honestly comes down to two things, how long you're willing to wait on waiver and how badly you want in. A bulged disk is nothing, don't worry about it.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:46 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

see back a few years ago they would take anyone. problem is now everyone is trying to get into the military, and the military is over flowing with people. Im in the marine corps and right now were over our quota so now they are not taking anyone with felonies and people who have medical problems. thats probably why you are having a hard time.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:20 PM
mhunsr

I retired from the Army. As far as getting in one of the services after a surgery doesn't seem like too difficult of issue for a recruiter to handle. As far as YOU are concerned, just realize that the physical demands of the military can take its toll, even if your are in good shape. If you surgery leaves you in good physical condition then go for it. I encourage the willing and able bodied to serve their country. If you think you can take carrying 50lbs or more on a daily basis without affecting your back then you will do good in the military. I do not know much about a ruptured disc and everyone heals differently. Good luck, I hope you get into the military after surgery!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Just don't join the Army or the Marines... It's not worth it. 5 yrs experience with a year in Afghan. If you really wanna join they will find a way to get you in, thats the problem with the military right now. Seriously, they will let anyone in... I have seen guys that were literally mentally retarded. Hell my brother who shares this account was hit in Iraq in Oct. Stopped breathing almost died, he will never be able to run again and his knee and leg were destroyed, hell he is pissed he didn't just lose it. Anyways, he has the choice to stay in and they will give him a ****ty job where he won't do anything. Numbers are up for now, but I can tell you retention is ****ty.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

And it is a shame that anyone can join, because I actually like the military. From first hand experience I will tell you that you will have to fight for any of your benefits, try getting college paid for...
Old 02-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kenny_k82
Just don't join the Army or the Marines... It's not worth it. 5 yrs experience with a year in Afghan. If you really wanna join they will find a way to get you in, thats the problem with the military right now. Seriously, they will let anyone in... I have seen guys that were literally mentally retarded. Hell my brother who shares this account was hit in Iraq in Oct. Stopped breathing almost died, he will never be able to run again and his knee and leg were destroyed, hell he is pissed he didn't just lose it. Anyways, he has the choice to stay in and they will give him a ****ty job where he won't do anything. Numbers are up for now, but I can tell you retention is ****ty.
Originally Posted by Kenny_k82
And it is a shame that anyone can join, because I actually like the military. From first hand experience I will tell you that you will have to fight for any of your benefits, try getting college paid for...
See, I absolutely disagree. I spent 3 years in Iraq and 1 in afgan and although it takes it's toll on you mentally and physically it's still worth it. I've buried 11 friends in 10 years, I've been blown up twice and no matter what anyone says, I'm a better person because of the experiences as a whole. You make your destiny and you mold your future. Sure there's a risk to life and limb but that's a risk for all the benefits of service. It was my honor to be in, it was my honor to give my blood and bone and all my soldiers and friends that died, it was their honor as well. It's a flawed thought to join the military for what it can give you. Only join the military if you're willing to give yourself and be humble to accept the honor if you're given the title of Marine or Soldier.

Quick Reply: Military question (since it seems many of you are in now or were before)