4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Door Handle Shave

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
CadenZ

Default Door Handle Shave

I've been thinking about getting the door handles shaved on my car. What's a good deal for a full kit? Has anyone had good experience with any particular one?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Just out of curiousity...If you shave your door handles, how do you plan on getting into your car whenever you store your car with the battery disconnected or if it ever suddenly dies or etc.?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:38 PM
demighost
2nd Gear Member

Use the key to open the trunk and climb through the back seat and open doors duhhh!!! while it does look kool, I agree with strider. If you skinny like me then theres no problem in climbing through trunk but if your big ur "assed out"
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Just out of curiousity...If you shave your door handles, how do you plan on getting into your car whenever you store your car with the battery disconnected or if it ever suddenly dies or etc.?
The kits usually come with an emergency unlock button that you hide on the underside of the car.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:08 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vanquish
The kits usually come with an emergency unlock button that you hide on the underside of the car.
...so that someone else can steal your car!
Old 03-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
its electronic... so if you have a dead battery... youll be calling pop-a-lock. It really is a big PITA to do though, and you need to have somebody good do it. In all, not worth - esp. if your car is a daily driver.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:09 PM
IEGT1015
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
its electronic... so if you have a dead battery... youll be calling pop-a-lock. It really is a big PITA to do though, and you need to have somebody good do it. In all, not worth - esp. if your car is a daily driver.
plus Juan
Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
well I didn't design it thats how some of the kits are sold.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

You can do two things, either use a manual pull cable that's hidden or do what I've been planning on do, and that's make a Hot battery terminal outside of the car. It's an easy way to jump your car or get the doors open.

I paid 120 for my kit about 5 years ago. (Never installed it.) Definitely what ever you do, don't cheap out and make sure the poppers are heavy enough to always push the door away from the striker, even in cold weather.

Last edited by Sxynerd; 03-02-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: wow....I can't believe I'm educated with that low level of grammar. Fook me I'm stupid sometimes.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by sxynerd
You can do two things, either a manual pull cable hidden or do what I've been planning on do, and that's make a Hot battery terminal outside of the car. It's an easy to jump your car or get the doors open.

I paid 120 for my kit about 5 years ago. (Never installed it.) Definitely what ever you do, don't cheap out and make sure the poppers are heavy enough to always push the door away from the striker, even in cold weather.
Yes, most kits use cheap *** solenoids.

Quick Reply: Door Handle Shave