4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How many of you

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default How many of you

beat the crap out of your stang multiple times weekly? Is your car still running strong?

What kind of life is best for a Mustang, honestly? One where you beat on it (obviously at operating temp) on a regular basis, or not at all? What kind of life gives these engines of our the best longevity?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Drag5.0mustang
2nd Gear Member

I beat on my car about 5-10 times a day.. And its running great!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:54 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
beat the crap out of your stang multiple times weekly? Is your car still running strong?

What kind of life is best for a Mustang, honestly? One where you beat on it (obviously at operating temp) on a regular basis, or not at all? What kind of life gives these engines of our the best longevity?
no cars like to be "beat on"

they can take a good amount of punishment USUALLY. theres people that blow motors driving like a granny after 50k miles, and theres people with blowers and nitrous running 150k+ miles and drive like they stole it. there is NOTHING set in stone with engines. drive it however makes you happy but don't cry either way if or when it blows up, however long that may take.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:36 AM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

I drove my car like a supercharged Mustang Cobra should be driven without problems...it was the second that filthy Ford dealership mechanic got in the car and drove it when I specifically said it was detonating and not to get on it that it decided to blow a piston.

Anyways, drive the car how you think it should be driven. It's been engineered to handle anything you can throw at it within reason. It's when you start changing and upgrading that problems begin when you get on the throttle all the time, even then it's no biggie.

I actually think getting on it on a regular basis is a good thing to do. It could be a wise mans tell, but I heard that people who have boughten cars that were hardly driven fast actually see gains in getty up and cleaner emissions once they get it on the interstate and clean the gunk out. I don't know though. Saturday I get my car back from rebuild, and I plan on doing a moderatively hard break in period in hopes of getting the rings to seat fast.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:23 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Always beat the crap out of mine and it runs like a beast haha. Whats the point of having power and gears if your not gonna put them to use every once in a while? haha
Old 03-12-2010, 08:36 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I drive mine like I stole it, ~95k miles and still going strong. I think she likes the abuse lol. Though, to clarify, I treat her like a queen too, regular wash/wax, regular scheduled maintenance, it is what keeps her going strong for so long.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 AM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

I used to beat on my car a whole lot back in high school. I am now out of college and she is still running strong.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:41 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

The mod motors take a lot of abuse. My other motor that was driven by an old man, like an old man, blew at 92,100 miles because it was never put through its paces. You need to get on the car a little every once and a while to clean everything out.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
The mod motors take a lot of abuse. My other motor that was driven by an old man, like an old man, blew at 92,100 miles because it was never put through its paces. You need to get on the car a little every once and a while to clean everything out.
So what you're sayin' Teej, if you get on it all the time it will never get dirty inside? I like the way you think!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:54 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I beat my ho daily, an she still does work. As long as she has fresh lube, I can beat her up multiple times. oh wait...were talking about cars right?