4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Passenger Seat Belt Locked

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 PM
wrr1020
2nd Gear Member

Default Passenger Seat Belt Locked

So my passenger seat belt finally took a **** on me, it's been weird and won't retract, i've had to feed it into place before. Now i tried fixing it and of course i ****ed it up even more, the whole thing won't retract anymore and is literally locked in its place now. I've tugged it and tried pulling on it and it won't come out at all. Since i live literally a mile away from a Ford dealer i took it in to see what they would say, told me the retractor is done and i need a new one, part and labor total would be about $300 to fix. I almost told the guy to eff himself cause thats ridiculous, just for a seat belt fix? Anyone have there seat belt crap out on them before?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:23 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

300$???? buy the part on ebay for 20 bucks and do it yourself!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 PM
wrr1020
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by budders
300$???? buy the part on ebay for 20 bucks and do it yourself!
Exactly what i was thinking, i took it down there for the hell of it just cause its so close. Maybe could of been something they could fix on the spot quick but when i heard $300 i almost laughed in his face. Ridiculously overpriced.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:45 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Hey this could work to your advantage with a broken seatbelt, that is if you don't already have a GF. If you do, then ignore this. When your driving her back to her place and when she tries to get the seatbelt undone, and its not working; Lean in and say, "let me help you with this" and then while your there go in for the kill if you know what i mean. Listen, it might be a little cheesey but its a dim positive spin of a cruddy situation. Hope you get it figured out man.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

dude lol $300? You really should of told him to go eff himself
Old 04-01-2010, 09:35 PM
sonic03blue
1st Gear Member

This same EXACT thing happened to me today! Ever since I got my car I have had problems with my seat belts retracting. You find a solution yet?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

^^ He and yourself are gonna have to do what Budders suggested.... buy a new one. I can't imagine that the install would be too bad, maybe an hour tops. Ford seatbelts suck. The driver's side on my Mustang, '06 Ranger, and wife's '04 Windstar (not to mention a couple of Fords before these) usually take a little tug to get them to retract upon exiting the vehicle. Although I will gladly accept this current issue in lieu of the mechanism just plain locking up. And regarding my issue, I'm guessing that if I had the time to remove the panel(s) and inspect the mechanism that it would retract like new with a little cleaning and small squirt of WD-40.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:15 AM
sonic03blue
1st Gear Member

I tried to take the interior panels off to check the seat belt system out, but could not figure out how to remove the panel. Would anyone who knows how to, be willing to give step by step instructions or know of a website with some type of chart of instructions showing how. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonic03blue
I tried to take the interior panels off to check the seat belt system out, but could not figure out how to remove the panel. Would anyone who knows how to, be willing to give step by step instructions or know of a website with some type of chart of instructions showing how. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
This is from my lightbar install. Its on the AM site, althought the convertible may be a bit different. I cant remember if I had to pull the back seat out to get to some of the clips, but I added both parts.

Remove back seat:

A spring-loaded retainer holds the lower seat cushion. The cushion is released by locating the retainer that is approximately 10 inches from the edge of the cushion on either side. Take a flat screwdriver and push in retainer release button. The seat should pop up and be released.
The back seat cushion is held by two 10mm screws, located on each lower corner. Remove screws and slide seat upward releasing cushion from bracket at the top

Remove Side Quarter Trim Panels:

Remove upper speaker grille (or dummy cover) and "T" trim between speaker opening and shoulder belt opening.
Remove retaining pushpin at convertible top well at the back edge of the trim panel
Remove the two small pins holding rubber seal to front upper edge of trim panel.
Remove rocker sill covers starting at the front pulling upward working to rear.
Remove the two pushpins aligned vertically behind seat back
Old 04-07-2010, 02:25 AM
sonic03blue
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ct_white_stang
This is from my lightbar install. Its on the AM site, althought the convertible may be a bit different. I cant remember if I had to pull the back seat out to get to some of the clips, but I added both parts.

Remove back seat:

A spring-loaded retainer holds the lower seat cushion. The cushion is released by locating the retainer that is approximately 10 inches from the edge of the cushion on either side. Take a flat screwdriver and push in retainer release button. The seat should pop up and be released.
The back seat cushion is held by two 10mm screws, located on each lower corner. Remove screws and slide seat upward releasing cushion from bracket at the top

Remove Side Quarter Trim Panels:

Remove upper speaker grille (or dummy cover) and "T" trim between speaker opening and shoulder belt opening.
Remove retaining pushpin at convertible top well at the back edge of the trim panel
Remove the two small pins holding rubber seal to front upper edge of trim panel.
Remove rocker sill covers starting at the front pulling upward working to rear.
Remove the two pushpins aligned vertically behind seat back
Thanks for the help, a friend and I figured out how to remove the panels yesterday and found the problem. My seatbelt was all twisted up inside the seat belt mechanism. Solution is that I need a whole new seat belt mechanism. Hopefully one will pop up on ebay soon, because I'm not trying to spend an excessive amount at the Ford dealership. Thanks again for the help.